1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius Bumper Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daisy555, Apr 6, 2020.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone is ok during this crazy time.

I've been quiet for a while and enjoying my beloved Prius. Last week a guy under the influence rear ended me at a stop light. He was going fast enough to cause me to fly into the car in front of me. I won't get into the details, fears etc. except that I can still drive the car and I need to wait on repairs because I'm not getting into a rental car at this time.

Obviously it's never a convenient time for this but....COVID 19 doesn't help.

I have to send photos in because they aren't sending adjusters during this time. I'm including a specific photo because there is a metal panel behind the black plastic grill and it's been dented/pushed back which is making me nervous. I stopped by a Toyota dealer. Service was closed but sales guy said the radiator is right behind this metal panel. No leaks coming from the car. I guess I won't know the extent of damage until they take that area apart but I'm trying to get some ideas. I'm concerned outer damage looks minor compared to what is going on underneath.

I need to post this then attach photos.

Thanks!

#1 daisy555, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  2. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are photos.

Attached Files:

3. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry you’re having to deal with this in this crazy time. What a pain.

I am a loss inspector for multiple insurance companies, so I speak from experience. I would focus on turning in what you need, and getting it taken to the body shop. I wouldn’t doubt there is more going on underneath the skin. A good body shop will probably be more knowledgeable than a average insurance guy or gal. Plus if there is more damage than originally thought, the insurance company will still pay for that as well.

4. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you!

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    On what to do Aaron Vitolins advice is probably the advice to follow. But:

Metal panel behind the front bumper is front bumper reinforcement or bumper bar.

If you're really worried you can just remove the plastic panel above the radiator under the hood. It's hold on with the plastic clips that (if still the correct ones) have a screw in the middle that you just turn a bit to loosen. That panel is commonly missing some clips as it needs to be removed just to check the coolant in radiator etc. or even the whole panel might be missing.

Then you can see the radiator (actually that's air conditioning condenser as that's the front one). If the front bumper bar hasn't hit it and panel under the radiator and on top of it is fine there's nothing to worry about driving it and damage to front was relatively small.

If the rear hatch still works normal and you can't see damage on the inside after lifting the cargo box out damage is small there as well.

daisy555 and davecook89t like this.
  6. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You NEVER know what is going on underneath.

I mean, if you look at me, I look fairly (well, sort of) normal.

But, do the x-rays and bloodwork and you find a whole different set of problems.

Same with your car. Aaron is right. Do the required paperwork for insurance as requested, turn it in and the body shop will figure it out from there.

daisy555 likes this.
  7. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for spelling all of this out. I wasn't sure if I should peak under that plastic panel. I will now. Thanks again!

8. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes...I've been getting the "you look fine" for years. : } Tests prove otherwise. Thanks for responding!