1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius Details

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by fan-atic, Apr 20, 2007.

1. ryanj023

ryanj023 You Mad?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey ya'll, new member here.

So I test-drove a couple Prius' today and I loved it. I am getting a Prius. However, I too am torn between getting an 08' or waiting for the '09. I feel like I am going to hate myself when the new one drops.

Does anyone KNOW that the body will be different for '09? Or are we looking at a very similar body style until the batteries are ready, in oh, 2010 model year? Or do we simply not know a damn thing? Sense tells me if the battery isn't ready for 09', they would wait to change the body drastically for the "new gen" prius with the new battery in the 2010. Right?

Seems to be a whole lot of speculation just about everywhere and little substantiated fact.

Also, is this talk of 100mpg for 09' a pipe dream or what? I really want to get a new car now as opposed to later, but with no real specs available to compare with I feel like I could be making a big mistake going with 08'. The dealership said probably October, but he doesn't know what the hell he was talking about IMO.

2. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi and welcome!

Check out the 2009 Prius folder/sticky at the top of this page for the latest info on what we know/don't know about the 2009 Prius. (edit* first thread in the subforum area at the top of this page)

3. 928Quest

928Quest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Turbo charged engines if built right don't require premium, lowered compression allows this. And yes turbo's if sized right won't do much unless demand is made. So for drivers with a light foot there is very little difference. I think its a great idea and a way to up the efficency even more. As far as cooling goes, some turbos use water and oil cooling and some just use oil cooling. I don't see any reason why an electric pump could not supply oil (or water) cooling when the ICE is not running, I thought there was already a there a water cooled system for the electric motor?

4. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One thing a turbo would allow, is to put in a smaller engine. You could go with a 1.3L or even a 1.0L with a turbo. Then you would get better mpg with light throttle, and still have the power on reserve.

I hope they stick with the original goals of the Prius. Comfortable, drivable, super high mpg sedan. It does not need more power. The main improvement that I would be interested in is better mpg. That could be achieved with a smaller turbocharged, or maybe a smaller supercharged engine.

5. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    X2 It has plenty of power for what it is and although more power is always good I'd say not if it affects mileage by even a fraction of a percent. Just give us some updated seats and the plugin option and I think the majority of us would be satisfied.... and if the mileage was a bit better that would be icing on the cake.

Mike

6. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually we've nothing definitive from Toyota officially on the next Prius except that it will not have Li-ion technology at first.

I'd go along with Tideland's supposition of the new 1.6 or 1.8 ZR engine. An interesting option comes from the new HH. It has both an EV button and an ECON button. I'd expect the next Prius NiMH to have something similar.

7. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi All,

Given the current state of the world economy, in particular the US economy, which is Toyota's biggest car and hybrid market, I would think they would be emphasizing two major themes:

1. Getting the cost of manufacture down as low as possible, to make it more price competitive with other manufacturers hybrids, especially Honda's (rumored) hybrid version of the Fit.

2. Improving the overall MPG significantly (i.e. >10%). There are a number of combinations they can use to do this, overall vehicle weight reduction being at the top of the list, followed by drive train efficiency improvements. Supercharging would be way down the list, and costly.

3. In the trivia column, I would like to see a driver's seat rear hatch release, as well as a telescoping steering wheel. Also better separation of the window wiper stalk from the drive selector (make it shorter?) - I find they get in each others way!

8. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the 2009 is a tweak of the 2008 models and the major redesign is deferred until the 2010 model year, why would Toyota outfit a new powertrain in the last year of the current design? It seems like retooling for the last year of the current generation would be more development $$ than they would be willing to invest at this generation's end of life.

9. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

See my other posts in these various threads all of which are titled '2009 Prius......'

The 2009 Prius is due here in about 4-6 months. I don't think that there will be any changes at all in this vehicle. I think that a lot of imprecision is being bandied about by writers, posters, analysts and even Toyota between MY 2009 and CY 2009. I do think that in CY 2009 Toyota will debut the new Gen3 but in fact it will be a 2010 MY vehicle.

In this way everyone can say that they were right. This Gen3 will probably be very much like the spy shots just posted with the 1.8L ZR engine and a more powerful electrical motor with both an EV button and an ECON button like the 2008 Highlander. Add a smaller 'Prius A' and a 3rd 'Prius C' and you have the makings of an announcement in Jan 2009.

10. jjlawyer

jjlawyer Junior Member

There is no reason that a turbo in hybrid would need any more cooling or oiling than in a non-hybrid. Turbos in non-hybrids are not cooled or oiled when the motor is not running, so there is no reason why this would be necessary just because hybrid is moving under electric power.
    Also, a turbo-charged engine will normally provided better overall efficiency then a similarly powered naturally aspirated engine. That is why many manufacturers are moving to turbos as a way to keep performance and add some efficiency.
    The prius will probably not have a turbo due only to increased up front cost

11. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I completely agree. The Prius does not need more power. I think their goal in the American market would be to make it bigger. That's the first complaint one hears about the Prius in the American market. Now if they need more power to maintain current performance and manage to maintain consumption as well that will play well in the US.

Toyota could aim for a super efficient hybrid, but unless major advances in battery efficiency are completed, my guess is that such cars would result in Honda-Fit-like compromises that would marginalize the vehicle. Not really Toyota's market.

12. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The two key 'issues' ( less than complaints ) that I have with the Prius are that it's not as quiet for example as a Camry, road noise is noticable, and that it gets buffetted in gusty weather.

I can deal with the quietness issue by playing music.

It has plenty of power for me and most here but it could use a smidge more if it were going to attract a significantly larger buying public.

However if the longer-wider stance improves stability on the road then I'm all for it.

13. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  14. esears1

esears1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  15. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The 'Camry wagon hybrid' will probably be the Venza hybrid. The Venza will be here in the Fall but there's no word about a hybrid version yet. However it does use the Camry/Avalon/Highlander/Sienna drivetrain and it's made in KY. It makes sense that a hybrid would also be offered. Hopefully it is something less pricey than the current Highlander Hybrid at $37K -$38K. I'm thinking $30K to $35K based on the new 2.7L I4 engine getting 30-32 mpg real world.