1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius Hybrid battery dead?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Daniel D, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Daniel D

Daniel D New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2009 has a little over 100K miles and was getting the dreaded red triangle of death. Replaced the 12 V battery and the problem persisted. I can start the car but as soon as I put it in drive and hit the gas, nothing! And the triangle. So I was getting prepared to spend $1500 for hybrid replacement when I watched a bunch of videos and thought "why not" for taking out the hybrid battery and checking the cells. I successfully removed the battery "wasn't really that hard" and was hoping to find a bad cell and replace it and be done. Nope! All my cells read 7.46V. And that's with the orange connector off. Now those little metal connectors had some pretty bad corrosion on them and I'm letting them sit in vinegar for a while. If my cells are all good then what could be the issue? Could it be just the corrosion on the connectors?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    corrosion can be the issue. if not, you need to load test the cells. are you in a carb state?

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Daniel,

At this point, my only recommendation would be to not jump to conclusions. There's no mention in your first post about whether you had codes read to determine the actual diagnostic trouble code. It may be in your best interest to find out what the car is telling you before you start swapping parts. More than just the battery could be causing your problem

Raytheeagle and ITBland like this.
  4. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Or, get the error codes read and see what the warning lights really mean.
    Edit: Beat me to it!

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Spend ~$75 to buy diagnostic equipment
    - Android phone/tablet (~$50)
    - Elm 327 Blutooth OBDII adaptor (~$20)
    - Torque Pro app (~$5)

Then you can see the cell data live as well as many other bits of information.
    Plus you can read and clear codes.

Where are you located?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you checked all your fluid levels? Low oil can give you a triangle and won't do much when you step on the gas

7.4v is pretty low for a running car, I would think it would read 7.6v and above....unless it's been sitting for a while

#6 JC91006, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018