1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius mfd

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Moe_Moe, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Moe_Moe

Moe_Moe New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone,
    I have a problem with my 2009 Prius MFD. mine is a little weird. The display went off last year and only comes back on when the car is exposed to extreme heat (sun). So during the summer when my car is parked outside I’ll start the car and the display works perfect, 2 minutes later when I start driving, it will go off again. This doesn’t happen during the winter even if left in the sun all day. I don’t want to take it to the dealer or somewhere else where I can get ripped off. Any advice or suggestions? Thanks.

Paul Schenck likes this.
  2. richmke

richmke Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Could be a problem with the display itself. There may be a broken internal wire (trace), and the heat deforms the panel enough to complete the connection, and viola.

I'm about to replace the screen/digitizer on my MFD because it has lost touch on parts of the screen. A new screen costs $15 off ebay, and takes a month to get from Asia. I think you can get one for $25 from a USA supplier.

Other than taking apart the dash, and the MFD itself to get to the screen, there is an issue of removing the existing display, and attaching the new one. When I get the part, I can see how easy or hard that will be.