1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius multifunction screen (MFD) - Abnormal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by August_SoCal, May 22, 2016.

1. August_SoCal

August_SoCal New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just joined Priuschat family. My car is Prius 2009 with back camera and w/o navigation. Recently the display has been working extremely abnormal. Upon starting the car, it works well for first several minutes (sometimes only 30s?), and got stuck suddenly with a white line appeared on the screen. Then it keeps rebooting. Sometimes it fades into white. I cannot bring the display back to normal by pressing the buttons (climates, info etc.) All other electronics (AC, audio, FM/AM, aux etc) are working well with steering wheel. I took the video this morning. It might describe better than my word.

It is kinda boring to drive w/o energy display, and I cannot use the back camera. :-(

What do you think causes this problem? Is it possibly the electrical connection problem? If the MFD has to be replaced, is it okay to buy a refurbished model (did some homework, it should be 86110-47230) on eBay and ask for a local garage to install?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! it might be your display (which should be under extended warranty) but it's worth checking your 12 volt battery health.

3. August_SoCal

August_SoCal New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks. Omg...I jumped start this little car last wednesday. After that, I drove outside to recharge for one hour and all electronics were working well. Even last afternoon the MFD was still all right on road. It went bad when I used the car last night.

12V is not as good as before after jumpstart. But why does AC and audio still work well? And the display appears to be the only victim? :)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it is the 12v, and i'm not sure, it causes ghosts in the computer systems. a/c runs off the hybrid battery, high voltage. 12v is just for computers, lights, etc.
    either way, pick up a check digital volt meter, and check the 12v under the hood at the jump point, after the car has been off for several hours, preferably overnight. pop your hood and lift it atet the battery has been at rest. the jump point is in the fuse box.

5. August_SoCal

August_SoCal New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    (y) I will let it rest tonight and see what happens tmr. I know it is doomed after that jump-start. Buy a lesson from not turning off light.

Hi Bisco,
    I let it rest overnight. To be precise, it was 20hrs. Then I used a multimeter from my lab to measure the voltage between jump point and ground. It was 12.43 V. Is the value normal? Can I come to the conclusion that the MFD itself is going bad?

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    battery sounds fine. the only other thing is a load test, which can be performed at most auto centers. it would be worth talking to the dealer about the display. if it's covered by the extended warranty, they have to replace it even if they can't make it happen, as long as you tell them it happened.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the combination meter, not the MFD.

bisco likes this.
  8. chengyx2

chengyx2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The combination meter works pretty well actually.

XT1575 ?

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And you know the OP's CM works pretty well, how?

But that, wasn't my point. My point was that the extended warranty in on the CM , not the MFD.

10. August_SoCal

August_SoCal New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry for confusion...guess OP is owner's prius? I used Tapatalk to reply your comment, and it generates another username...my bad :)

bisco likes this.
  11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OP = Original poster, who, it turns out, is you by another name. :ROFLMAO::LOL::D

bisco likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks dolj, sorry for the bad info chengy!:p

August_SoCal likes this.
  13. August_SoCal

August_SoCal New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Is it safe to reach the conclusion that MFD has to be replaced?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's an expensive move without further analysis. maybe a salvage unit?

you should call steve at autobeyours and see what he has to say.

15. CrazyCactus

CrazyCactus New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just joined PriusChat and I'm having a similar problem with my 2005 Prius - I opened up a thread about it yesterday, but I still don't know the answer. The only difference is that my MFD is constantly on the Toyota screen (when powered up, of course), and I never had the intermittent problems you mention. We might have a common problem, though. Did you find a solution? My MFD is a 86110-47081, though I would guess the underlying problem we have is the same. If you have the answer, it really might save me a few grey hairs!

16. Brian Jackson

Brian Jackson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Having the exact same problem, as described by August_SoCal with my 2009 Touring model. Got to it over the weekend and sprayed all the connectors with connection cleaner, but to no avail. Even checked the dome light fuses for damage (recommended from another thread). Hesitant to replace, so will likely take it to the dealer for a once-over. But if they claim it needs a new MFD, I'll likely go to eBay, or the guy that repairs them (forgot his name).