1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius Navigation System Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bobsoch, Dec 28, 2012.

1. bobsoch

bobsoch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi There,

I know there have been lots of discussion on Toyota Prius Navigation systems for the older Prius cars and I have a few questions. Based on the discussions, it is not worth the money and time to install Toyota system on the older Prius cars. Besides the costs, many of the older Prius cars are not pre-wired and require additional parts (DVD box, control, wiring, brackets, etc). How does one know which model/package was pre-wired. For example, my car is a 2009 and I believe it is a package 3 (includes: Bluetooth, microphone, JBL sound system, back up camera, remote key and alarm system). I noticed under the driver seat there is a wiring harness (most likely for a navigation system) and the steering wheel includes map and voice. Under the passenger seat there is a box too (I am not sure what this box is for).

However, the control display does not have the map button. Does anyone know if the navigation antenna would be pre-wired on a 2009 Prius package 3? A friend of my know someone who has a 2008 Navigation DVD system c/w DVD and brackets and willing to sell it to me for $200. I am wondering if it would be worth my time and effort to install this. The challenge would be finding all the other parts, such as an used control display/trim.
    I appreciate some feedback and suggestions on this. I would like to install this system.

Thank you

Bob

2. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The box under the front passenger seat is the JBL amplifier.

3. CasperPrius

CasperPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I've got an 09 with NAV. I rarely use it as I don't care for the functionality of the GPS. I don't want to spend $150 or so upgrading the dvd and I can't adjust to only being able to access the device when not moving. I already owned a Garmin GPS with lifetime maps and traffic. I rarely use it unless I'm making an out of town trip, one of the benefits of living in Wyoming!

The dvd for the NAV is located under the driver's seat. It sounds like yours has many of the essentials needed to make the dash unit work. Personally, I'd pass on the upgrade and just go with a regular GPS.

4. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i like the idea of having the nav incorporated into my dash, rather than having a bunch of crap and wires flopping all over the place. if you understand electronics, it would be pretty cool to install the factory system, but if you're not good at it, you need to have a friend who is. a toyota trained prius tech would be a desirable friend to have...
    if it was me, i'd do it.