1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius Need Help Diagnosing Engine Noise/Vibration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by daisy555, May 15, 2017.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone,

Pria has been running well except I've been noticing a change in sounds. One symptom has been diagnosed as "misfiring". Mechanic suggested getting spark plugs replaced (111,000 miles). During test drive I couldn't reproduce other sound.

Back when I was Prius test driving most had a vibration occur soon after stopping at a light. A vibration caused from switching from electric to engine mode maybe? My final choice only did this now and then. Seems to be occurring more often now. Recently I've turned car on and got out to get something out of back seat and car actually jolted slightly during what sounds like a change from electric to engine mode.

I actually drove almost 1.5 hrs to an independent master hybrid tech because I've lost confidence in local dealership. Need to call him tomorrow to let him know new spark plugs did not take care of other noise.

Any ideas? Someone said this could have something to do with the regenerative breaking or some about relay something or other. Can't remember now. : /

Thanks!

Maria

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you hearing the brake actuator pump? Step on the brakes, every 2nd time you do this, you'll hear a faint rattling noise from inside the dash area. This will last a few seconds every time.

3. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I don't think it sounds like that. It sort of reminds me of when a regular car is downshifting. Might not be using proper terminology. : }

Thank you for responding!

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The prius will make many different noises, sometimes you'll hear a bit of a whining sound when you're coming to a stop.

Unless you're getting error codes and warning lights, I wouldn't worry too much about these noises.

5. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2009 shakes a bit sometimes when the engine shuts down at a stop, but I assume it's normal behavior for the car. It hasn't caused any problems I'm aware of.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is normal behaviour when the engine is cold and in warm up stages

7. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Rough idle can sometimes be caused by dirty throttle body, and performance can sometimes be increased by cleaning the nearby MAF sensor. Both symptoms are common on a car with over 100K miles. You'll get a check engine light when it becomes severe, but these can be cleaned before that happens. It takes some care. They are expensive components.

When the gas engine shuts down, it will "chug" and rattle a little, burning every last bit of fuel vapor to reduce emissions. And when you start the car, even when warm, the gas engine will always start with a 5 or 10 second delay, and all that rotating mass will shake the car.

ScottHz likes this.
  8. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your quick responses!

My big concern is taking good care of expensive components and not getting stranded somewhere. : } I was used to all the hybrid noises and even this "chug and rattle" (perfect description) but it's definitely a bit exagerated. Actually noticed it more after coolant valve and oil temp sensor were replaced but not immediately after. Don't want to revisit that one!

Is the MAF sensor hard to get at? Expensive to clean off. : ) Might have to go back to dealer for my regular oil change/tire rotations because it's most economical. Just had very expensive oil change and tire rotation when getting spark plugs replaced. Kind of feel more comfortable going back to this independent mechanic for sensor but such a drive. He did include examining under body well and did hybrid battery test. Noted cracked plastic engine shield (next repair) but said car looked like it was in really good shape.

#8 daisy555, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  9. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you say "these can be cleaned...takes some care" do you mean more than one sensor should be cleaned?

I went to Bob's Motor Workshop in Milford, MA. His testimonials include diagnosing some problems with a salvaged 2009 Prius. Dealership couldn't figure it out. Sounds like he really thinks things through but I was taking a shot in the dark and hoping to find someone closer.

10. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I meant the throttle body and the MAF sensor. If you're interested, there are some good threads here and surely some YouTube videos on it. Some disassembly is required, and proper solvents and techniques must be used.

11. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh...ok. Thanks for clarification. Not something I should mess with. I have chemical sensitivities. So far cabin and engine air filters are the extent of my DIY. : ) I'll call for a quote although really not in the mood to find out cost. : } Thanks!

12. Snfvsd

Snfvsd New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi Daisy,
    Just wondering if you figured out what the problem was in the end? I had the exact same sounding problem and it had turned out that there was almost no transaxle fluid in the assembly, and it was leaking through an axle shaft seal. The only thing is it was fine for a week and now the problem is back, I am just having it towed back to the mechanic to check if the seal was somehow not properly installed.