1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius noise behind dashboard - percolator sound

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MrsPrius, Feb 9, 2019.

1. MrsPrius

MrsPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a 2009 Prius with 100k miles and recently I have been hearing a percolator type sound (or bubbling sound) coming from behind the dashboard (and under the car hood). I don't know what is causing this but when I went to the dealership they wanted to charge me $100 just to diagnose it. I thought maybe someone here has experienced the same noise and figured out the cause. I did a video that pinpoints the area from where the sound is coming from and you can hear the noise (percolator sound). However, I can't upload it-is there anyway to upload it so you all can hear it?? Or if anyone already knows the cause please let me know, I would appreciate it! thanks

2. MrsPrius

MrsPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I uploaded the video (with noise) to youtube

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think it's your brake actuator going south, but not positive. could just be the coolant valve or something simpler.

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Was any work done to the engine cooling system recently? Water pump replacement? Engine cooling loop drain/fill? 3 way valve replacement? CHRS pump replacement?

Check the coolant level in the radiator by removing the coolant cap, by removing the black plastic shielding that covers the radiator.

Check the water pump area too. Maybe there is/was a leak, which may have allowed air to enter the engine cooling loop.

5. MrsPrius

MrsPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No work has been done on the cooling system or anything else. The only thing I've done to the car is regular oil changes, cabin and engine filter changes, alignments, and tire rotations. Two days ago, I had the rear brake cleaned and aligned. Also, all my fluids were topped (per tech guy). However, the noise started before taking it to the dealer. Unfortunately, when I took it to the dealer it wasn't making the noise. The noise comes and goes...could be days before I hear it and it only happens when the car is on. Once off the car is off the noise stops.

6. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you have a stuck cd, possibly broken unit. Try ejecting all your cds out

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when they aligned the rear brakes, did they balance them?

9. MrsPrius

MrsPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don’t have any CD’s in there. The noise is coming from under the hood just behind the dashboard.

I don’t know if they balanced the rear break, i’ll ask.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it's under the dashboard, then it's probably a servo motor that controls the air vent selection. Next time you hear the noise, try to change the air vent selection (to defrost or blow towards your feet). If the noise goes away or stops momentarily, then you've located the problem

11. MrsPrius

MrsPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi All, I took my car to the Toyota dealer and they did a diagnostic test. They gave me a written estimate for replacing the Auxiliary Battery ($339.95) and Brake Actuator ($2359.95)... and this is what they wrote in the remarks:

"Confirmed knocking noise coming from brake actuator. Electrical system diagnostic conducted and multiple low voltage DTC's are present. Notified customer that knocking noise may be due to low voltage to brake actuator. Recommend replacement of auxiliary battery to start and further diagnostic to be conducted afterwards."

I purchased an Auxiliary Battery from Advance Discount Auto Parts for approx. $160.00 and watched a step-by-step youtube video on how to replace the battery. Luckily, my neighbor came over just as I got the cover off the battery and he stepped in to replace it! Took him 20 minutes.. would have taken me 2 hours, lol. After replacing the battery, I took the car for a test drive and the noise behind the dashboard is gone. I'm hoping it was just the battery. I'll let you know if the noise comes back (fingers crossed!)

(I purchased the "AutoCraft Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size S46B24R, 370 CCA")

#11 MrsPrius, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Thomas Tran, Skibob and bisco like this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It would be interesting if a new battery would fix the actuator noise

13. MrsPrius

MrsPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    spoke too soon! The noise is back BUT it sounds lower and the "percolator/bubbling" noise is less. I'll wait until the end of the week and report back if the noise increases. The guy at the dealer said that no codes (DTC's) came up for the brake actuator, they just listened to where the noise was coming from and confirmed it that way. They also told me that while it is common for the brake actuator to fail in my 2009 model, the manufacturer would not cover the repair because my VIN number did not show up in the recall, nor did any diagnostic code show up, no warning lights came on in the dashboard and my car is over 10 years old (as of December 2018). Bottom line, if it's the brake actuator the cost is on me. ugh.

I plan on taking my car to a local Prius mechanic (recommended on here) next week for another diagnostic test.

Thomas Tran and bisco like this.
  14. MrsPrius

MrsPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I tried changing the air vent selection and the noise was still there. I even turned off my A/C and the noise was still there.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I nailed it! :(
    You can drive it no problem, and it may be a long time before it needs replacing.
    Since the new battery helped, it’s worth checking the voltage. Sometimes they don’t come fully charged

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't believe the new battery will help against a bad brake actuator. The dealer just said that so he can sell you a new battery. That's why they are called stealerships.

17. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you're close to Tampa, I'd recommend Tampa Hybrids.

From what the dealer said, it sounds like just a dying 12V battery. Low voltage will make the brake actuator get really funky. It'll make odd noises and take a long long time to pump up and shut off. The low voltage DTCs support that theory. There are simple tests to see if it's really bad or not.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe a bad pump?