1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius P0301 Code Diagnosed Gasket Replacement

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by TravisPrius, Jul 17, 2022.

1. TravisPrius

TravisPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey Prius folks!

So, I bought a 2009 a few weeks ago. Private seller. Needed a ride and have had a Prius before.

There was shaking on startup. Took it in to a hybrid specialty shop and they diagnosed it as needing a new head gasket. They want to charge $3k and replace the gasket, water pump, a couple other things.

I am skeptical, as I would think a blown head gasket would produce more error codes than just the one. Other than rattling on start up, the car seems to perform well.

I had the coolant topped off a week ago with an oil change. Oil looked fine or they would have told me and I did ask if it was milky. It wasn't.

I am 6k into the car. Plus about 1k for other services and replacing the front axel. This would be a huge investment and I don't know if it is worth it or if I should take it to the Toyota dealer for a 2nd diagnosis (more money, yay!).

My biggest fear is they take it apart for gasket repair and then say, ahh know what, you need a new engine.

Check engine light is on without the triangle. It's also not blinking.

What should I do? $3k seems pricey for head gasket and water pump repair and the thought of them then saying oh you know what, whole engine sucks so... $7k. At which case there is simply no way.

A lot of positives going for the car. It has good tires, breaks, no oil leaks that I have seen, etc.

Any insight would be appreciated. I'm in Northern California and don't want to drive it further than the 25miles to the main town that has repair shops that deal with hybrids.

Thanks! Hoping to get it either running great or wait the nearly 7 weeks for my title by mail from out of state. I'm visiting Cali and have to wait that long from my state to get title.

2. TravisPrius

TravisPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I should also say it doesn't seem to be sucking coolant, at least not like I have heard blown gaskets can cause. Topped of a week ago and still looks fine. I believe the repair shop said they saw coolant near a spark plug or somewhere, I can't remember. Calling them again on Monday with some questions and probably calling Toyota dealer too.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did they try shuffling spark plug and coil locations? Say swap cylinder one and four, then see if the misfire code changes to P0304.

4. TravisPrius

TravisPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I may take it to Toyota and get a 2nd diagnosis. If I do, I will ask them to do that. Thank you!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Dan Miltner

Dan Miltner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This post is regarding my 2012 Gen 3 Prius with 182,000 miles with code P0301 and P0300, Misfire in Cylinder 1, poor fuel economy and power, and a smell of fuel inside the car which may or may not be perceived all of the time.

I had the same problem with my 2012 Prius Four. P0301. Misfire in Cylinder 1, which later became also P0300, Misfire in random cylinders. And a lack of power. And, terrible fuel economy; like around 35 mpg! I could also smell fuel at times. The car ran rough at startup. Coolant was not going down. Turns out that this problem mimics a blown head gasket. But if the coolant is not going down, that's not the problem. I thought it was the spark plug or the coil. Replaced all plugs and coils, but it ran worse after that. I would get the shaking engine when starting the engine, and now and then while driving, and I always felt the shuddering of the misfires which had spread to other cylinders, and especially when I tried to accelerate 'pedal to the metal' when max power was needed, and that made the check engine light (CEL) blink until I backed off. Interestingly, when the weather got really cold (air is denser), it seemed to run better. At first I thought it was perhaps EGR valve and PCV related. I cleaned the EGR, replaced the PCV valve, and cleaned the intake manifold. It ran better, but still had the error codes. I read more on here and thought that it must be an air/fuel ratio problem. Then I read that someone with the same symptoms replaced the MAP (Manifold Pressure Sensor) sensor connected to throttle body. This sensor is critical for the reason that it determines atmospheric pressure and reports to the ECU all kinds of information about the conditions within the atmosphere of the manifold, which it then reports to the ECU, and the ECU uses the information for controlling the air/fuel ratio AND the spark timing! I could have just cleaned the sensor, but decided I would buy a new one, which I installed. That was the problem! It was a bad MAP sensor that gave the ECU bad MAP data. I assumed that the bad data ran the engine too rich, which is why my fuel economy was so bad, and why I smelled fuel at times. My Prius ran perfectly after replacing the faulty MAP sensor, AND, my very first run after the fix got me 49.6 mpg fuel economy, and the power of the engine felt like it was a new Prius! This fix is easy. Lots of videos on YouTube show how to do this sensor replacement. Just remove the air intake and filter area to gain access to throttle body below. One screw holds in sensor. (The sensor has two holes, but only one screw is used, because the other hole is just a guide hole for a guide post.) You can literally be done with this fix in under 30 minutes. The sensor is about $200- online. You could always try to clean the sensor. I'm not sure what would be used or it is possible to clean it. So, make sure you know how to do this correctly before trying it, or you could destroy it. I hope this helps someone else. This problem persisted for months before I found the solution. Good luck everyone!

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do clean the EGR ASAP. First couple of links in my signature have info.

7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    smart call not bringing in an older prius to the steelerships, IMO of course and as I read above maybe yours too.
    Bein in Cali, if it were me, and I'd be looking to dig into the EGR passages first or second step as Mendel suggests above anyway.

I'll suggest beyond Mendel recommendation - that you take a look at and if it sounds like as good an idea to you as I think it might be, get your prius into gasket masters for a second opin.

The best in the business for what I've heard and the tubes I've watched and shared here.

Plus you'll learn way more about the entire process of how it happens and why it happens, which may also be beneficial to you as an owner of a gen 3.

I just picked this newest tube from their channel about a prius V ; take a look around to find one that is closer to what you are experiencing.

since you mentioned the engine swap above - just in case that becomes the reality, however unlikely and unwanted that news might be, gas mas is the place you might want to entertain that option as well.