1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius Package #6 - Alarm System?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Shekibobo, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Shekibobo

Shekibobo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a 2009 Prius with package #6 from a private party. I was told by the guy I bought it from that it does not have an alarm system - just the passive electronic key anti-theft system. However, I read somewhere edmunds.com/toyota/prius/2009 that package #3 and up have an alarm system.

I've still got the sticker from the original purchase, and I haven't really been able to pick out any mention of an alarm system, but those things aren't necessarily easy to pick out.

I'm wondering if you guys have any insight on this, or if there's some way I can trigger the alarm system without doing any damage to my car.

2. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    your typical aftermarket alarm system may have window breakage sensors, like most factory immobilizer systems, the prius will go nuts if the car is locked with windows down and then you reach in and manually unlock the door and open it.

The prius is pretty hard to steal without the key, but I believe that if you start the car, stop somewhere for an errand (dry cleaners, McD, coffee, etc) and leave the car on someone can get in and just drive it away even though the key is with you, so just be aware that the prius has this one weakness.

my friend is a tow truck driver and tells me most cars he can slim jim open in less than 15 minutes but toyotas always take at least 45 minutes they are also very hard to break into w/o breaking a window.