1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius sitting for 7 months, no start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Basia, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Basia

Basia New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hi everyone,
    I've been traveling for half the year and returned home to find my 2009 Prius isn't starting. I disconnected the 12V battery and reconnected. No luck. My key fob shows a red blinking light when I press the button, so I don't believe the fob is dead. However I cannot unlock the doors or start the car with the fob.

I have no dash lights or power button function. Any advice?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    change the dead 12v battery.

What part of CA are you at? Maybe if you can charge the HV battery before starting the car, it'll help it from getting out of balance and die.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check the voltage level of the 12V battery with a digital multimeter- have it charged, load tested, (or replace it). Then hope that your high voltage hybrid battery hasn't self discharged from just sitting there.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    7 months'll do it. Heck, one month will do it. 12 volt batteries sitting in storage will slow-but-sure discharge. 12 volt batteries installed in a car have it much tougher: there's constant low-level demand on it. If you don't disconnect it (just the neg battery cable will do) or connect a suitable charger, it runs down. Time for a new one.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Oct 6, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2021