1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius- upgrading to smart key system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by xjocelyn, Mar 6, 2016.

1. xjocelyn

xjocelyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello,

I am new here and also am a first time Prius owner! Super excited, and loving my car.

Currently, the car is not equipped with the smart key system. My key unlocks all doors but with the push of a button, and I have to insert the remote/key into the fob to turn on the vehicle. I found a 2009 Prius on Craigslist that is being parted out and I wanted to have the key to have 2 keys for my car, but the owner told me it was a smart key, which is the system that my car is not equipped with.

I have two questions- can the key still be programmed to work the same way my key works with my car, despite it being a smart key? And is it possible for me to uninstall the parts necessary (I don't know what parts are needed, but if any of you know, that'd be great!) from the car being sold on Craigslist to install the smart key feature to my car and have the smart key (that I wanted to buy) work with it, as well? Once it's reprogrammed, of course.

Thank you!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! this is more complicated than you're making it. first, there is a lot to learn about adding a second key. search the threads here to learn how it is done, so you won't make a costly mistake.
    second, adding a smart key system would involve removing all the internal antennae from the parts car, and possibly the ecu. not impossible, but a gargantuan task for the faint of heart. all the best!(y)

3. xjocelyn

xjocelyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    ah, thank you! the person i bought the car from works at a dealership and said he might have an extra key for my car, which would be great. but the smart key system sounds really convenient to have.. maybe not so convenient to add. the person parting out the car made it sound like it wouldn't be a big deal getting those parts out. i think i'll call a dealership to know the complete process.. sounds like a headache.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is a joy, no question. someone here, had a one door (drivers) sks, and added the antanae at the hatch and passenger door. the wiring harness and computer was already there. and still, it was a huge job.

6. xjocelyn

xjocelyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So installed the SKS is a pain and not worth it?
    And do you recommend buying a new one because it is easier to program (following the chicken dance)?

7. xjocelyn

xjocelyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So it'd be easier if my car at least had the SKS on the driver's door? I'm sure it doesn't have it at all. :(

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you will find that the expense of trying to convert the Prius to a working SKS type model will be "cost prohibitive". Only you know what your budget is.

Concerning new vs used keyfobs. Adding a used fob involves much more cost and effort than a new one. Take a look at this link for more information.

Do used smart keys work? | PriusChat

9. xjocelyn

xjocelyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Okay, I think I'm forgetting about doing SKS. Seems a little too much. lol

For the configuring a used smart key for my car, I read on the link you attached, "A used Smart Key fob can be paired to work as a dumb fob without the above procedure, but none of the smart functions will work." Since my car does NOT have the smart key features, it would work the same as my current fob key, correct?

Or can a used smart key work with a car that doesn't have smart key features?

10. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Smart key fobs are not fully compatible with non-smart key cars..
    They are on different frequencies.

You can program a smart key fob to work in the ignition slot or a non-smart car, but it will not be able to unlock or lock the doors with the key fob buttons.

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As Eric stated above, a "smart key fob" AKA "Silver Logo" could be paired, but it will not work with the locking or unlocking of the doors.

If you are interested in simply adding a second key fob to your existing Prius, what you should do is purchase a "NEW BLACK LOGO" key fob and then do the chicken dance. If you do that, you can do the work yourself and should be able to make the new key work in the slot AND lock and unlock the doors.

If you choose not to do the work yourself, a dealer or a locksmith could add the new key to the Prius for a fee.

EDIT: Please note that the Prius is limited to "five" keys total. With that said, if keys have been added in the past and the five key limit has been reached, you will also have to do what is known as a "seed reset". This is done by a dealer or a qualified locksmith. It involves using Techstream software and basically phoning home to get the new seed. There is aftermarket software out there such as the Mini VCI, but unless you have the right credentials, you will not be able to do the seed reset on your own.

If you go back and read "Bisco's" post again, you will see that he did comment that there is a lot to learn about adding a second key.

#11 dorunron, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  12. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OP, Welcome to Prius ownership. Read the manual, and if there isn't one with the car, you can download it.

That said, " . . . this is more complicated than you're making it. " and " ...there is a lot to learn about adding a second key. "
    One dealer quoted me $260 for a second key. $ 140 for the key and then $120 to "program" it. plus a 6% sales tax.

Is there is a "Key" switch on the dash under the steering wheel of your Prius ?
    If so, make sure it is ON, previous owner of my Prius did not read the manual and didn't realize that his Key switch was set to OFF and that's why his smart key didn't appear to work. Second, put new batteries in both keys. Toyota dealer's Parts Department person did this for me for $5 each, and they showed me how to replace the battery. Battery should last 3-5 years.
    Another valuable tip that you'll find on the forum: Sign up with Toyota at Toyota Owners Official Web Site
    Search the forum here for details. As the registered owner, you can see the Toyota dealers' maintenance and repair history for your car.

#12 Eastside, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  13. jjmerp

jjmerp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome, Here is some Info on the Prius SKS system. Good luck..

14. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ha, ha. I just had a customer come in with this problem today!
    Diagnose and fix it for free, of course.

dorunron likes this.
  15. xjocelyn

xjocelyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their input! I'm definitely forgetting about the SKS and will probably just buy a new key fob and program it myself, if the dealership doesn't find the second one.