1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius won't start!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DiDi, Oct 21, 2012.

1. DiDi

DiDi New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I accidentally left my FOB in the seat yesterday as I was washing my car. From looking at the owners manual I know it has do do with the immobilizer, but I can't figure out how to reset this!

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the appropriate Gen II forum from the Priuschat Website questions.

3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Please provide more details about the issue and someone will help you out.

4. DiDi

DiDi New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When trying to start the car nothing but all the warning lights come on. From what I have seen in the manual, the immobilizer system was activated. I have tried many times to start my Prius and the same thing happens.

Basically, nothing is working. I can use the FOB to open the door, try to start the car and the warning lights for everything comes on, but the car won't start. I hear a clicking noise when I push the start button.

5. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did something happen to the fob when you left it on the seat? If the fob was damaged, you won't be
    able to start it. You have the smart key system, right?

I have two fobs with mine. Do you have both fobs? If so, go get the other one and try to start it.

If you have only one fob - oh boy! Then you will need to determine if the fob is damaged or if it's just that the engine immobilizer system needs to be reset - for some reason I can't fathom.

You might try disconnecting the negative lead on the aux battery for 30 seconds to reset the EI computer. That's going to be difficult though if you can't unlock the hatch with the fob.

6. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you try the FOB in the slot. Worth a try. H

7. DiDi

DiDi New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

8. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the fob battery died, you would need to put it in the slot like HaroldW mentioned
    to start the car. Kind of difficult to see how that could happen so fast.

Okay, there's still a way to open the hatch from the inside but it's a little tough to get at.

Just so I understand completely, you have been able to get into the car and since the
    engine immobilizer system doesn't seem to recognize the fob it won't unlock the doors.
    Is this what's happening?

You can access a release latch from inside but you'll need to take the rear carpet out and the tray underneath to get at the latch in the center of the hatch at the bottom. Then you can open the hatch and disconnect the battery to see if resetting the system cures your problem.

9. DiDi

DiDi New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes! I did try the FOB in the key slot!

10. DiDi

DiDi New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put a new battery in the FOB yesterday, just to see if that was the case. I will go out now and see if I can get to the battery!

11. DiDi

DiDi New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh my goodness! Ok...I got the hatch open and disconnected the battery to reset. Now it isn't making the beeping noise and my park green light will now come on, but the malfunction indicator lamp warning light is on...and no other warning light. The car will not start. Could the battery be dead?

12. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the fob unlock the doors now?

When you turn the headlights on are they bright or dim?

By malfunction indicator lamp, do you mean the red triangle with the exclamation point inside?

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you have a volt ohm meter/multimeter? Can you check the voltage of the 12 volt with it?

If not but the MFD comes on, can you run the check at Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat. Tell us all 3 voltages.

14. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Could the battery be dead?
    No, but I would assume drained (low) and the probable cause of your initial problem.
    After charging your battery-- (please do a search for this)--, it may take several (3) on/ off cycles for the warning light to disappear.

15. DiDi

DiDi New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no meters. AAA is coming to check the battery . I appreciate si much for all of your help from everyone! I will let you know if the battery charge does the trick!!

16. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We're waiting with bated breath.

17. DiDi

DiDi New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all! My car is once again running!!! I appreciate all the advise!

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    May as well tell us the voltage from Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat. Tell us all 3 voltages.

Repeat again after the car's been left idle overnight.

If you've flattened the battery, you should either charge it back up (and see if it holds the charge) either by leaving the car in READY mode for many hours (or driving for many hours) or using a charger. From Question re: 12-volt battery, please? | Page 10 | PriusChat, it could take hours and yes, driving will not charge it any quicker than leaving it sitting in READY mode.