1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Touring Edition Spoiler is looking really bad

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tomguild, Oct 2, 2020.

1. tomguild

tomguild smugmobile owner

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    IMG_0643.jpg IMG_0642crop.jpg
    My 2009 Prius Touring Edition has about 95k miles on it, and aside from a few minor dings the body is in fine shape. Except for the spoiler on the rear hatch. It's clearly plastic, despite the rest of the body being steel, and in the last few years has begun to fade and...I don't know, erode a bit?
    I do some times take the car to a local carwash, but not in the last couple of years.
    Has anyone else had this problem? I can live with it; I just don't want to touch it!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you wax the car, including the spoiler?
    What's you're usual parking situation?

Odd the rest of the car is in good shape, it's just the spoiler effected. Maybe it received a different paint process? At any rate, a body shop consultation in your future?

#2 Mendel Leisk, Oct 2, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  3. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Are you sure it's not some type of deposit? Since it is not evenly distributed across the entire spoiler, that would be my guess. It sounds like you have never tried gently scraping it in a small area, since you say you don't want to touch it. What harm could that do? You could stop scraping and leave it alone if it's not getting better. For the record, our 2007 Touring's spoiler does not look any different paint-wise than the rest of the car, and since we bought it, it has mostly been parked outside with the rear facing south, although the spoiler does tend to collect a lot more dust and dirt than the rest of the car. That is quite noticeable as our car is white, which I suppose could also make a big difference in terms of the sun damage in incurs.

4. Retsukowind

Retsukowind Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    My 06 prius has the same hatchback clear coat paint peel on the plastic panel, thinking about stripping peeling clear coat and paint fresh clear coat

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.