1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Touring, hi temp warn, wet psngr floor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Landon51, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey all,

I'm back with a 2009 Touring edition worth 240k miles.

We were getting no heat, but i was getting over temp warnings, it works slow down and the over temp would go away.

I would add water to the over flow but didn't know to add water to radiator until recently. I was able to get 34 oz of water into it. We started getting heat, and the next morning. all the water was on the passenger floor.

The radiator water was clear - no hint of red at all. The guy i got it from didn't mention any heater problem.

I've noted a little unexpected water behind the AC condenser.

Oh, nothing had shown up in the oil. No mayo or anything.

1. On a wet day it will start rough. On a dry day it only starts rough when it is warm. Possibilities?

2. I'm assuming that the heater core may be shot. I'm hoping that it's just a loose hose. If the core is broken, is there a common piece that breaks? Could it be possibly repaired in place?

3. What could happen from having all drinking water in the radiator?

4. I have codes for misfires on 1 and 2 cylinders. I have not checked the sparks or coils. I have not run injector cleaner or anything else through the system.

5. Over a thousand miles and no oil loss; however, the oil line is about 3/4th inch above the full mark.

Jerome

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's too high, who did it? drain some out

no problem with drinking watertemporarily, but you don't want it to freeze, overheat, or corrode

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Top of the list for misfire causes is ignition problems, plugs an coils. However if there is a long term cooling system leak, then head gasket damage due to low coolant/ overheat is possible.

If there is coolant leaking into the passenger compartment then the core itself likely has to be replaced. The heater hoses connect on the engine side of the firewall, so a leak there would not (usually) get inside.

Replacing the core involves removing the dashboard and the A/C heater housing (and that requires removing the A/C refrigerant then evacuating and recharging afterwards)

#3 mr_guy_mann, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Landon51 likes this.
  4. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

5. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    sorry for quotting myself. is it possible to simply bypass the heater core understanding that my car will have no heat.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, and it's not very difficult at all.
    Remove the windshield wipers, the cowl trim, the wiper mechanism linkages and the cowl tray underneath them. This gives a clear view of the top of the engine and the two coolant hoses behind the engine that connect to the HVAC fittings at the firewall. Merely unclamp the hoses, pop them off the firewall fittings, add a double male splice fitting between them and re-clamp. Fill and vent as required to remove any air pockets..

Landon51 likes this.
  7. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Would this be solid or pass thru?

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would do pass through, as it would simulate coolant flowing through the heat exchanger

Landon51 likes this.
  9. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    engine pass thru seems to have worked. I'm still losing water - can't call it coolant anymore. 8)

There's no heat in the car, but that was expected. There's also no water on the floor.

I still have the warm start shake so I'm worried that I'll have to either install a new engine or replace the head gasket.

Which one is the easiest?