1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Toyota Prius squeal when AC is turned on and off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by exbauer, Mar 26, 2013.

1. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Further investigation I figured it was the the flap opening and closing. Whenever I push the recirculate button to open and close the vent it squeals. Is there a way I can lubricate the vent?

2. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anybody know how I can lubricate the vent to stop making the noise? The vent seems to be located on the passenger side.

3. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FWIW, my '07 model does this too. I forget to complain every time I take it to the dealer (which is less and less often these days). Hoping maybe they'll be in a mood to cover some kind of "repair" under extended warranty. Probably just a little lubrication is all that's needed.

4. turnbowm

turnbowm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Had the same problem with the wife's 2008 Prius and Toyota determined that it was the vent servos. This was a major job (2 days) requiring removal of the dash. This corrected the problem (moaning sound) for approximately one year, but I notice that the noise has returned. However, it's not as loud as before.

5. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is not what I wanted to hear. I searched priuschat and that seems like that is it. I might just have to let it go out and then fix it. There doesn't seem like there is anything I can do about it. Do you have the part number from the paperwork the dealer gave you when they fixed it? There is a Prius in the junk yard that I might be able to get it from.

6. turnbowm

turnbowm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The paperwork showed "Replace A/C Blend Servo (Op. 883991, 5.1 units, $561)" And "P/N 87106-47120 Servo Sub-Assy - Dam & Damp ($153 ea.).

Best of luck...

7. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully it will last awhile before it goes out. Tearing the whole dash apart to replace it isn't how I want to spend a weekend.

8. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was able to find some pictures of it. It is the white unit.