1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 won't go into ready mode gear shift lights flashing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Karl F, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Karl F

Karl F New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New 12v battery installed yesterday ran fine next afternoon won't go into ready mode or park gear shift lights flashing on dash Please help!

#1 Karl F, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Sounds like a 12v issue, check all of the connections (including the negative ground connection). Make sure the 12v battery is reading within the normal parameters, you may need to charge, return, or exchange the recent 12v battery purchase.

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I totally agree with SFO but I would add check for draw on the 12V system (IOW is something inside the car staying on after you shut the car down and lock it). First thing to check is to make sure the dome light is turning off when shut down. Good luck!!! Let us know how you make out.

4. Karl F

Karl F New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your Help! I checked all the battery connections everything was good. The battery wasn't at full charge so I put it on a charger and it is now reading 12.8 but nothing has changed the car will not start/ go into ready mode. it wont go into park there is no light on the park button. the gear shift lights continue to flash. on the dash there is also the vsc check engine light and the break system light. I just don't know how it went from driving fine an hour before this happened then this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked the voltage at the front jump points under the hood?

edthefox5 likes this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like SFO says does not matter what it measures in the trunk only matters what gets to the front jump point. There is some fuses the B+ has to get through before it hits the front jump point.

measure front jump point with a dc voltmeter. Then with car OFF turn on the headlights in hi beam and measure again see how low the battery gets pulled down with a minor load on it.

Or some fuses got blown. Any drama installing the new battery? Sparkity sparks?

OR... the hybrid battery has failed. How has your mileage been lately?

7. Karl F

Karl F New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I checked the Jump point 12 hours after I had charged the battery and both the battery and the jump point was reading Low at 12.2
    I thought that was really odd so I pulled the battery out and brought it to advanced auto to have them check the battery and make sure my meter wasn't faulty. They told me the battery was reading 12.2 and needed to be charged. when I told them the battery was brand new they said no it was 2 years old! it was from 1/18 I then went back to the store where I got the battery and they are now ordering me a new one which I should get tomorrow hopefully that fixes my issues. I will let you all know. Everything was great before this happened.

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We see this alot on this site the battery that fits in a Prius is probably not a big seller and may have at on the shelf in a depleted state which is bad for its longevity.

Whenever you buy a new battery bring your voltmeter with you and check its state of charge before you buy it. Should have at least 12.6 volts.That number is significant because thats the voltage a prius battery lives at. I have never seen a battery have a higher charge than that in my bought new in 07 Prius. It has the proper 14 volt charge voltage from the Inverter but it also see's a small constant draw of keep alive voltage for various ecu's and the cars SKS system.

9. Karl F

Karl F New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    well I installed the new 12v battery reading 12.87v but nothing has changed the car still is not going into ready mode. the gear shift lights continue to flash on the dash no light on the park button the VSC check engine and break system light are still on. I might have to have it towed to a repair shop but I'm new to this area and don't know anyone that works on Hybrids.

10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you had a chance to check the fuses inside the cabin, and under the hood on the driver side?

Pay special attention to both the dome fuse, and the AM2 fuse.

Since the 12v appears to be doing fine, now would be a good time to read the ODB2 codes. Though rare, some dealers offer code scanning for free, otherwise it could cost you around $100. Many auto parts stores, and some garages will offer a free OBD2 code scan or can loan you a 'basic' scanner, once you know the DTCs (codes), please post them here for additional help.

If you would like to purchase an OBD2 scanner, research "mini-vci cable" and "OBD2 adapter" by using the advanced search here.

strawbrad and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just a wild thought here............
    Have you checked the "gear shift" stick or lever to be sure it is firmly in Park ?
    We had another owner recently who had it half way between positions.

I think the light that is flashing might be telling you that there is a transmission problem detected.

12. Karl F

Karl F New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was reading an old thread where someone had the same exact issue but never reported back after they towed the car to the dealer what happened but someone mentioned a possible blown inverter fuse so I started checking my fuses under the hood because I had already checked the ones for the 12v battery and the 3rd one I looked at was blown it was #33 HEV Hybrid system 20A mini fuse.
    PROBLEM FIXED!!
    Thanks for all the input!!

CanTG, George W and SFO like this.