1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

200k 2009 Prius with oil burning at 1qt for 1000 miles highway and less burning in stop and go.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kaptainkid1, May 13, 2022.

1. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I replaced it, the old one was dirty but seemed functional. Easier to replace it with a new one, they're only a few dollars. Keep the old one as a spare.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I replaced mine at 190k. It looked pretty good but since I had it out already just replaced it.

3. JahT

JahT Member

After my Motor Medic Motor Flush, I put the Quaker State 5W-30 full synthetic, is it also known to cause oil consumption in the Prius?
    What weight are you talking about?
    I have noticed cleaner oil and less consumption, but I might also be babying it and hypermiling more now.

4. Kaptainkid1

Kaptainkid1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I've really haven't had time to put too many miles on the Prius after the Soak. Something strange happened today and wanted to know if you experience similar results after your soak.
    I drove over 10 miles today and normally my car trips are under 10 miles 80% of time so the car never gets the best MPG's or warms up.
    Today I was getting under 25-10 mpg for 40 mins of regular driving. That usually never happens after the car warms up but in cold start window 10-15 mins of driving its worth and then after that it's 50 mpg plus. I hope it was a ecu hiccup and nothing I messed up.

SM-A526U ?

#24 Kaptainkid1, May 19, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2022
  5. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Driving 10 miles or less daily 80% of the time screams that you don’t need a Prius. You’d be far better off with a low maintenance Corolla.

6. Kaptainkid1

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm surprised more people don't have shorter commutes. Everything I do from shopping, working, workingout, medical and nightlife is all under 10 miles and shorter. I guess living in a big city that's the norm. Where I'm hoping the Prius pays off is my 3000 mile road trip next week.

SM-A526U ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Prius was designed to be a taxi type vehicle driving hundreds of miles at a time in stop and go traffic and it performs phenomenally well at that. Most modern cars get very good highway mpg. Even my Lexus gets 32mpg at 70mph. And it is much nicer to ride in than my Prius.

Urban driving is what kills mpg on most IC cars. Urban driving is where the Prius shines. Short urban driving trips of a few miles a day is not what the Prius likes. A Corolla or a Chevy Cruze would be better for that and in fact also better on a 3000 mile road trip.

8. Kaptainkid1

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1st stop and putting down 600 miles. No oil burning but poor gas MPG. I feel this is a matter of Lead foot syndrome and seafoam additives in a full gas tank. After running 200 miles of city stop and go traffic and under 10 miles at a time. I got 28 mpg Not good but the Prius is driving with more power and quicker response. Really felt this outcome was unforseen.
    Looking back after putting down another 400 miles drive to Sacramento I wanted to improve my MPG's. So I stopped flooring it and drove very conservatively and brought the MPG to 36 MPG with a Thule box 700 lbs of gear. This isn't my best MPG considering I've done 2 other camping trips with the same gear, thule box and weight with same set up as before and I was getting 37 mpg's on those trip and felt I drove more conservatively now and my car maintenance is refresh in a greater extent over previous road camping trips. Maybe my Hybrid battery is loosing strength because of age.... I'm currently at 200k and 13 years old Prius. I've done my camping trips in the last 4 years.
    Hopefully my MPG will improve as I finish off my 2600 miles road trip. This will be an amazing road trip. Will follow up on the next legg of my stint.
    1. Oil consumption down so far nothing after 600 miles.
    2. Lower gas average MPG! So far.
    3. More power and better acceleration.

SM-A526U ?

9. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    700 lbs. of gear in a Thule roof box? I didn’t know that was possible.

10. Kaptainkid1

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The gear weight equal the box and items in the box and trunk plus my body is 700lbs.

SM-A526U ?

11. Kaptainkid1

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2000 Miles and 2/3 of my massive road trip almost done.

I forgot to mention the oil change product and felt this information can help with my results and anyone who wants to copy.
    Let's start off with the oil change:
    5-30wt Costco Kirkland full synthetic.
    OEM toyota oil filter all ways.
    New Autozone air filter.

2000 miles is 85% of highway miles driving over 75mph. Getting 36 mpg. This is great but is expected. The Prius was weighed at truck stop at 3450 lbs wet weight with people and gear. That very heavy and is at max capacity.
    400 miles in Yellowstone slow park driving 50 mph and below. I average 41 mpg which was not expected with the car filled with 600 lbs gear and people. Car weight around 3200 lbs.

Early results of the Berryman B-12...
    1/4 oil burn or less after 2000 miles. Oil track mark at top dimple or just below top dimple. So far I would say it has slowed or stopped the oil burning! Prior I was burning forsure 1 qt or more at 2000 miles. Oil color is golden Brown. I have 1000-1300 miles left on the trip and will give final results.

Finally you're "F#ing Nuts" (look at pictures) if you don't try the Berryman's B12 piston soak to fix oil burning! 20220527_135237.jpg 20220523_200612.jpg 20220525_113558.jpg 20220525_102247.jpg 20220527_170853.jpg

SM-A526U ?

#31 Kaptainkid1, May 28, 2022
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
    SFO likes this.
  12. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Love that smell....

13. Kaptainkid1

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Final Trip totals and recap!
    3500 miles and 38-39mpg with 800+ lbs in gear. This improved gas mileage increase from 36-37mph from prior camping trips.
    I really saw very good mpg in the park going under 50 mph and with camping gear and a thule box on top. I average on that tank after 250 miles 48 mpg. This was unforseen and never achieved before. Then again I never really camped with the Prius until the car started burning oil 1/4-1/2 qt per 1000 miles around 150k is when the oil started to burn and became worse at 200k at 1qt for 1000 highway miles.
    Driving 70+ mph.
    85% highway driving.
    After 3500 miles the Prius burned about 1/3 qt. This is down alot, by this point it would have been 3 quarts burned. I would say the Berryman B-12 piston soak worked for me. Also since I have a micro pen camera I could see that the piston soak left the piston camber and top of the piston surface with the carbon deposit intact. I'm not sure until the next oil change if the piston was cleaned after running those miles. I will also do Berryman B-12 piston soak for the next oil change just so I know it has freed up any gummed rings not freed from the last soak. I did notice in the oil some beads of Berryman's solvent in the oil change. It's different density and doesn't mix well.
    It will seep pass the rings and drip down in to the oil. The fact the solution doesn't coat or soak very long in the Piston rings seems like a good plan to do two treatments back to oil changes.

TheLastMojojomo and ColoradoCrow like this.
  14. Kaptainkid1

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is an update after putting down 6000 mile after 1st Berryman Pistion soak.
    The Prius started burning oil again and closer to 3/4 qt every 1000 mile again after running good for 3000-4000 with very little oil burning. I suspect the oil burning return due to oil return rings becoming stuck with carbon build up and sludge in the piston rings.
    I decided to do the Berryman piston soak for my second oil change. Of course I did the seafoam in the oil for 5 ounce for 200 miles. Then did the Berryman 1.5 ounce in each piston overnight before changing my oil and oil filter. Always do the piston soak before an oil change.
    Cranked the engine from the crank shaft bolt 17mm wrench. This process should be done after you put in the Berryman fluid and crank the piston for 10 rotation or more. This process strip and frees up deposits. Interesting discovery after my second pour into each piston the next day. I added a another 1.5 ounce back into each piston. I repeated the crank rotations and finalized the soak with pumping out all the fluids in each piston chamber. I noticed 1 of the 4 Pistons held the Berryman's fluid. Interesting that 3 piston chamber rings were not free enough or worn out to hold cleaning fluid. No Berryman's fluid should be left in the piston chamber when putting the engine back together. All fluids were pumped out each chamber. Also you should changed the oil and oil filter before starting up the engine. Of course this cleaning of the rings again only slows down the oil burning. I slowed the burning to 1/4 qt after 1500 miles.
    I suspect this method is a temporary fix until the next time the rings fudge up again. After 3000 miles the oil burning is slowed down. For how long I don't know but it's a positive results... I will piston soak the next oil change until I see no benefits.
    What do you guys think? A waste of my time?

SM-A526U ?

15. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is because that Piston that held the B-12 was likely on the compression stroke. The Valves were closed so the Berryman B-12 couldn't escape/flash off. For the other chambers the Valves were open so the B-12 was able to evaporate.

So oil consumption is still present for my Gen 2 Prius. I am at 207,000 miles now. Consumption is at a quart for every 5-6,000 miles after doing another soak earlier this year. Before it was at a quart every 1-2,000 miles.

My oil still stays much cleaner the entire oil change. Before it would be black within 1,000 miles. Now even after burning a quart in 5-6,000 miles the oil color is still a moderate golden color.

The oil consumption appears to be primarily happening in the Piston Chamber closest to the Windshield Washer Fluid Resovoir. That spark plug has a much darker Corona stain compared to the others. The Corona stains are virtually non-existent on the other spark plugs. That Chamber was also the worst consumer of oil before the soak. The spark plug was wet with oil when I took it out during my first soak.

I believe the Piston rings in that Chamber may be slightly damaged from running the oil low years ago and is now where most of the oil consumption is happening.

I think you need to use more Berryman B-12. I used 2+ cans my first soak. Put the Pistons to top dead center and fill them almost completely full and let it sit for 8+ hours. Also use a lot more B-12 in the chambers when rotating the crankshaft. And do it multiple times.

#35 TheLastMojojomo, Nov 16, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    Kaptainkid1 likes this.
  16. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How the oil consumption going? I essentially noticed the same stuff as above with my car. Cylinder 1 and 2, huge corona. Post piston soak a year ago here and my oil consumption is 1/4qt every 5k miles now.

17. Kaptainkid1

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well it's months later from my last post and Only laid down another 3000 miles since my last update. I noticed very little has burn off. Nothing noticeable after 3k
    I would guess maybe 1/4 quart. Which is maintaining a good slow down but I also never thought it would stop anyways.
    I would consider another Piston soak just as maintenance scheduled for higher mileage Prius. I think this should be done for all 2nd Gen Prius with more than 120k on the clock. It's keeps oil sludge build up down.

SM-A536U ?

18. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try high mileage full syn oil in the correct spec and change it every 5k and you should completely avoid clogging and reduce oil consumption even further.