1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010-2013 vs 2014-2015

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tannerpace, Jun 29, 2017.

1. tannerpace

tannerpace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey I'm looking for a new Android headunit that looks stock. Only problem is they are all for 2010-2013. My Prius is a 2014. Any body knows what is different between the 2013 and 2014 touch screen non jbl radios?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To the best of my knowledge, there weren't any changes between 2012-2015.

3. cgmpc

cgmpc New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have struggled with this for about two weeks. I have a 2015 level 2 and all of the sellers on Aliexpress either instantly say they support my car (which makes me a little suspicious) or ask me questions, get me to take a picture of the dash, immediately ask me who installed my current (factory original) head unit, and then when I tell them it's original they say their unit doesn't fit. After I got 2 of those answers, I just threw my hands up and went down a different path.

There's only one solution, as far as I can tell. I bought a set of plastic dash-disassembly tools from amazon, took the original head unit out, and took 1000 pictures. I sent them all to the Aliexpress sellers I was working with, and after their "engineers" took a look, they each said that they could make a wire harness that would work, no problem. So, I picked the one I really wanted (8 core, 2gb, etc, color looks exactly like my dash) paid them an extra $20, and they're going to make a harness that will fit my original plugs. The rep even claimed that it would work with the oem backup camera.

So yeah, that's my advice. Just buckle down, take your head unit out and take pictures. Make sure you get good pictures of the plugs in the car, both the front of them and the wires going into the back. That way, they can either tell you with 100% confidence that their unit will fit in your car, OR they can assemble a harness that will fit it. This should give you the ability to really pick and choose to find one that you like and think will look nice in your car.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder if they could build me an adapter harness for a 2010-11 to 2012+ factory headunit swap, if I sent them the pinouts and offered to pay? I wonder what their charge would be....

-Chap

5. cgmpc

cgmpc New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Almost certainly, man. I feel like these are the kind of guys who are already making these harnesses that're sold on ebay anyway. They charged me $20 for mine.

Here are two vendors who offered to make me a harness:
    [​IMG]
    (sorry for image, can't post links yet, just got my prius and joined this forum last week)

Some advice:
    Just send them a message, they are really relaxed and helpful. They are totally fine with pointing you at some weird item (in my case, a facia plate for some random car) and saying, "buy this thing, but I will send you the wire harness instead". Be prepared to wait though, their workday seems to be something like 10pm est to 7am est so communication can be a little slow. Also be prepared for some broken English. Take some time to try to understand what they're saying and try not to get frustrated if they don't understand you the first time. If you can, just answer with pictures.

Inza2 likes this.
  6. cgmpc

cgmpc New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @ChapmanF @tannerpace @Inza2
    I take back everything I said. They didn't send me some kind of custom-made wire harness, they sent me an absolute clusterfuck with no instructions whatsoever. I poured over these for several days and went back and forth with their support until I realized that I could probably get this working except that the harness they sent to hook up the steering wheel buttons does not fit ANY plug in my dashboard that I can find. As soon as I told them this and showed them picture evidence, they started pleading with me to go get this installed by a "professional technician" and assured me that they would NEVER send out a head unit that wouldn't fit. -_-

I think I'm going to start the returns process on Aliexpress tomorrow. Wish me luck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. tannerpace

tannerpace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good luck man. I'm gonna to give up on Android head unit. Going to install an Alpine power pack. I read that the after market hu have issue with blue tooth and microphone

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.