1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 3rd-gen w/ 229k vs 2006 2nd-gen w/ 154k... same price, which one???

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by sukatoro, Jul 14, 2017.

1. sukatoro

sukatoro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hello all, have read too much at this point and just want to break down and buy... picking up a used Prius on the cheaper end, trying to decide between the following:

2010 Prius w/ 229k miles, some scrapes and bruises but fairly clean
    2006 Prius w/ 154k miles, very clean inside and out

I've driven a 3rd-gen before but not a 2nd, the two cars are priced the same, so... get into a pretty decent looking 2nd-gen OR a more used (but more modern) 3rd-gen? One of the various reasons I'm wanting a Prius is for the stellar A/C performance, with or without engine running... assuming it's in good working order, should a 2nd-gen A/C work as well as a 3rd-gen, or no? Neither car appears to have any options installed, I am having to go by mileage and year here...

I know there's no way to know what wil or won't fail on an older car, but I need to be tipped in one direction or the other, honestly I'm tired of The endless researching and just want to pick one and drive it! any advice would be great, thanks in advance friends.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Depends on your commute, both have different size engines.

Gen3 will be stronger and better on the highway.

Gen 2 is not as strong but better for around town driving. Also this seems like an easier car to work on.

You need to sit in both and see which you prefer. I feel the gen2 is roomier because of the interior layout

3. sukatoro

sukatoro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your reply, honestly I like both interior layouts, although the 2010 is a light color inside and shows wear worse... my commute is about 40 miles combined daily, does involve some highway driving but doesn't HAVE to. I'm more thinking in terms of expensive future repairs, the 229k mileage on the 2010 is disconcerting but I'll admit I have no hybrid experience. Both cars being priced the same is really what is getting me lost here, I'd be happy with either (so long as the A/C churns out cold on either), just don't want to make the wrong decision and be kicking myself later over it...

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    both cars will likely need a lot of work going forward. hard to say which will need more.
    can you get full maintenance and accident records on either?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well the 2006 hv battery is way past its prime, buying this car would require a new battery purchase soon.

The 2010 battery should still have a couple years of good life to it.

That's usually a big deciding factor in buying hybrids

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Download the sales brochures for both cars to see what is and isn't included. The 2006 will have a backup camera & 3 door smart key system. The 2010 will not have a backup camera unless it has navigation and it probably only has 1 door SKS.

I don't remember any significant differences regarding the output of the air conditioner.

Having owned both, I vote for the less miles and more features of the 2006.

With either car ensure you get two working fobs and the retractable cover for the deck.

7. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If money is a big constraint for you, the choice should be none of the above.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    too late, see his complaint thread.