1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 ABS, traction light, no tech stream

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by goliath1812, Nov 3, 2018.

1. goliath1812

goliath1812 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The other day, the ABS, traction control, and Brake light on the dash illuminated while I was driving on the interstate. I lost regenerative braking also. For the last couple of days, every so often the lights will go off, and I get regen braking back, but when I start to brake, there is a lot of clicking noise coming from what I think is the front drivers side. Then the lights come back on, and I lose regen brakes. For the last full day, the lights have stayed on, with no regen braking. From the clicking noise, and I thought I saw a TSB somewhere about the CV axle, I replaced that today, but the lights are still lit, with no regen braking. I can’t tell if there is the clicking noise anymore because I still don’t have regen brakes. I tried using the wire jumper method on pins 4 & 13 of the obd, and I reset the lights, but they immediately came back on. I have no idea what to look for to figure out the “blink method” from the obd jumper. There were blinking lights everywhere, does anyone know what I’m looking for?

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did you hit something on the interstate that caused the lights to come on?

While you replaced the cv axles, did you see any damage to the speed sensors? How did the rear speed sensors look?

Grit likes this.
  3. goliath1812

goliath1812 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I didn’t hit anything, the lights just came on while driving.
    I didn’t check any sensors or anything else, I wanted to try to find out what the lights came on for, which is why I’m trying this obd blink thing. I just need to know what to look for.

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Get CEL codes, you'll know where to go from there.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Replied first to PM, but just so it's here too for other readers:

Well, there are several computers in the car, associated with their own dash lights. (The brake computer in fact controls three different dash lights, the ABS, BRAKE, and ((!)) lights.) The airbag light's controlled by the airbag computer, etc.

Just look for all the lights that are blinking something besides a steady, half-second on-off. The steady on-off means that computer doesn't have any codes to report. Lights that are reporting codes will do something like (3 blinks) (pause) (5 blinks) (longer pause) (4 blinks) (pause) (2 blinks), and that would be a 35 and a 42 (for example). After all the codes there are to report, it will cycle back to the first one, so you can stop writing them down once it's back to one you've written down already.

Just write down all the codes you're seeing (and be sure to write down which light was blinking which codes), then hit the repair manual and look 'em up.

For codes on those three brake lights, you do have to keep track of exactly which light was blinking which code, even though they are all from the brake computer; they're on three different lists in the manual, so you'd be on the wrong track if you mixed them up.)

-Chap

6. goliath1812

goliath1812 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ok it seems like the traction control is a 43 (which means to look at ABS, right?) and the ABS is 34 and 39. I don’t have a repair manual, does anyone know what those mean?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You might want to fix that situation for the future. :) ABS 34 (= C0215) and 39 (= C1239) both have to do with the left rear wheel speed sensor. For each code there are about thirteen pages of troubleshooting steps to help get to the bottom of the problem.

-Chap

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. goliath1812

goliath1812 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks Chap, lifesaver!!! Now, when I do eventually *fix* the problem, will the warning lights go away on their own? I know they can’t be cleared by an obd scanner, or by disconnecting the battery...

9. goliath1812

goliath1812 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Wait, I just remembered they can be cleared using the jumper and mashing the brake pedal

10. goliath1812

goliath1812 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Just a quick update, I finally got a Timken wheel bearing in yesterday, just finished installing it, cleared the dash lights, and took it for a quick test drive. Everything is working perfectly again, I love having my regenerative brakes back!!!! I hope it stays this way. Thanks again Chap!!!! I really need to buy a manual