1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Base head unit stereo. Will replacing w/ JBL head unit work?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Mcmcswig, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Mcmcswig

Mcmcswig New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

I am new to this forum. So please forgive me if this has been covered. I have an opportunity to receive a cheap Toyota JBL head unit to swap out with my base head unit. My intention is for a few reasons:

1) slightly better sound without replacing all the speakers (yet)
    2) XM ready head unit ( I currently use a plug in XM Onyx w wires and crap everywhere)
    3) possible Built in blue tooth already in the JBL head unit.

I have researched everywhere and a cannot determine if the Toyota JBl head unit has these added features that I want; or are these features already connected to the unit from the factory.

I was hoping the JBl Toyota head unit has a built in AMP an higher wattage or whatever that makes the sound better.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks.

Mcmcswig

2. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The differences between stock and JBL are far more than head unit.

All the speakers are different (impedance, sound)
    There is a separate amp that goes under drivers seat (can be found for $200 Ebay - used on many other cars like Camry).
    There's lots of wiring harnesses
    Mic connected to amp

Bottom line, you FAR better off swapping head unit for a real head unit... It's been pretty well documented that any head unit upgrade will make the stock speakers sound better...

Copies of the Prius Nav are around $500+
    Cheap Chinese Navs (they are pretty good) can be found for around $250 (7" 2DIN Ebay)
    Main stream Navs (Pioneer Sony et al)
    Main stream 2DIN non-nav (used for $250)

Read the forum, and you can learn a lot about the above...

3. Mcmcswig

Mcmcswig New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for your input. I truly appreciate it.

I understand that there is a huge difference in the complete factory installed JBL head unit/amp/speakers system and that to replace all of that would be best suited to after market more premium (yet cheaper) options.

My concern is whether my Base model 201 non-JBL stereo head unit could be swapped out with a JBL (it says JBL on bottom left corner) head unit (i can get it for $40) to slightly improve the sound of my stock speakers AND also have the additionl built in funcitionality of the XM tuner and radio built into the head unit ( i have a current XM subsrcition and could just chance the Radio ID Number).

I can't tell if this JBL head unit actually has the XM and BT built within the unit itself or not... My research has been unable to clarify this for me.

I understand that if this is an option there might be additional work arounds in terms of wiring harnesses and the issue of 6 vs. 8 speaker set up and all..

But as you said..." Bottom line, you are FAR better off swapping head unit for a real head unit"

Do you mean go for the Toyota JBL head unit; or do you mean shop around for Pioneer/Kenwood double DIN products?

I dont' care for navigation, just decent sound (I will upgrade speakers later when I can afford it) , XM built in and possibly Bluetooth for my iPhone.
    Thanks again for your help!

4. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    '
    The JBL will not work without matching JBL amp and wiring. You ARE NOT close... For the cost and complexities of getting a free JBL HU running, you can get FAR more cheaper and far easier HUs that will run as is...

There are even random Chinese Toyota 2DIN specific units for like $300 (plug and play wiring wise) - installs in minutes, and will give better sound than stock Toyota...

Read up here (search Chinese) - or look into the majors (Pioneer et al).

5. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry to say, but they are correct when it comes down to the install difficulties. Alot more to it than just swapping head units. I personally am not a fan of the Chinese units but some people like them. Adding an aftermarket radio opens up so many possibilities for future upgrades and far superior sound than what the so called fancy factory upgraded units do. The fact that you don't have the upgraded JBL system is what alot of people wanted in the first place including myself but Toyota doesn't let you determine that on the higher models. Kenwood is one of my favorites right now. If you go as far as their NAV units which for the money I don't think anything is better than the DNX-6980. I personally have the next model up but for the money you can't beat the other unit. It has Parrot bluetooth, Garmin navigation with free traffic, ipod/iphone controls, if you have an iphone it can stream and control your Pandora app from your phone directly on the main unit. It's certainly worth a look and you can find them relatively cheap online. Hope this helps and let me know if there's anything else I can help with.