1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Base Prius Radio Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DodgeTransmissionsGoBoom, Oct 10, 2021.

1. DodgeTransmissionsGoBoom

DodgeTransmissionsGoBoom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just picked up a 2010 Base prius with 300k miles for only 750 the radio barely works but runs great. It has the stock boring radio with no bluetooth or touch screen or anything. I didn’t want to go aftermarket because it just looks bad to me personally on these cars. I was wondering if it could be plug and play with one of the touchscreen NAV or non NAV head units from another 2010 or newer from a junkyard with no mods other then wiring in a backup camera. Any info would be very helpful if all else fails i’ll have to go aftermarket but i would prefer a stock screen way over that.

2. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    [​IMG] No. The factory touchscreen units work with the JBL system. Amp under the passenger seat. Different speakers and wiring.

You should be able to get a Prius specific plug n play. China unit. It will fit in the dash with attached plate. Many sellers will throw in a backup camera
    Picture is an example not a recommendation.

#2 prius2010II, Oct 11, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  3. DodgeTransmissionsGoBoom

DodgeTransmissionsGoBoom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    i’ve got a 2012 toyota prius and it’s non JBL with touch screen and NAV. are the 2012 wiring different? i’ve had iffy luck with the chinese style ones honestly.

4. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Most of the charts show 2009-2013 as being able to use the same aftermarket radios. some go up to 2015. Double check.
    The rest of this post is as much for others as for the OP.

I have a 2010 Prius with JBL. The car will accept almost any double din unit. The unit won't have the factory "hard" buttons and it will have blank plastic surrounding the unit. Prius specific units might either have buttons around the screen or a bigger screen. You have to check. Some of the Prius specific units only include the generic double din plate.

I wanted a factory look. Shortly after I bought my car I had a local shop, in the US, install an Advent unit. It had US support. It was available as an official dealer installed option in Canada. A couple of years ago it stopped working. Advent stopped that line. Shop which installed the Advent wanted to install a double din. I still wanted a factory look.

I bought a new unit 2 years ago. Use this as a basis of research. I'm sure things have changed over the last 2 years.

Aliexpress had best variety of units. Ebay had very few. I used Android Head-Units | XDA Forums as a resource. I wasn't looking at price.
    I zeroed in on units mfg by Klyde.
    Klyde PX4 | PX5 | PX6 head units with MCU CSN2 | CSN2_D | CSN2_8600_D (Android 8/9/10 | XDA Forums
    Order enough units and Klyde will put whatever brand you want on the unit. Klyde mfgs units are sold by companies like Pumpkin and Kuofin.
    I discovered different resellers sold different versions. ROM and RAM were different. Newer models had IPS displays.
    I looked for resellers with reviews in the high 90s. Reseller included a backup and trim removal tools. I already had both. Didn't need either but it was a nice touch.

My reseller, and all the better ones if you read comments, will have you sent a picture of the back of your factory unit and/or the factory wiring harness. I wanted a plug n play JBL harness. He said my car had 2 different harness. He sent me the correct one. Several posters on this forum had issues with the wrong harness.

Installation was basically plug and play. Since I was replacing an aftermarket unit I already had backup camera and wiring installed.

GPS antenna was mounted on the front of the dash, against the glass and just to the left of the left dash speaker. I wound up buying an adapter, ebay, so the connector of the GPS antenna would connect to my new unit. It was worth the few dollars, my memory is $5-$10 to avoid having to replace my already installed gps antenna.

I suspect supply chain issues may delay shipping. Might even make it hard to get the unit you want.

FYI factory BT mic isn't supported. Factory backup camera would be supported but I think you need the CANBUS adapter. Aftermarket camera works.

I accepted the fact that the real warranty ends when the return period of my unit expires.

JMO if my car had a standard double din opening I would have bought something like a Kenwood, Sony etc.

edited to add Some of the newer units won't accept CDs DVDs. Double check if that's important to you. Carefully check if it matters. Some might use old picture or use an old description which shows a CD capability. You need to check the listing of full specs.

#4 prius2010II, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  5. Derik A.

Derik A. New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, thread revival. I want to ask this question again just in case there is some more information out there. I am in the process of stripping some parts of a totaled 2015 Prius and installing them on a 2010 Prius. The 2015 has a touchscreen head unit and a backup camera. I would love to have someone inform me that the 2015 touchscreen head unit and backup camera will plug right into the 2010 Prius. What is the possibility that can happen? As far as I can tell the 2015 is not branded as JBL and the 2010 is basic. Thanks for your time!

6. plainv70

plainv70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Last time I checked Gen 4 head units were not Gen 3 compatible. Everyone: pls correct me if this is not true...