1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 build dates vs reliability?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by StephenJ, Aug 21, 2017.

1. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Has anyone here or another website done a survey on 2010 build dates vs oil consumption? With some people not having consumption issues and many others drinking like a oilholic I'm curious to know build dates. It would be nice to see if there's any correlation.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that i recall.

3. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I couldnt find it anywhere. Do you guys think it's worthwhile to start a thread for it? Heck, I'd like to know if some dates appear to be holding up better than others.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can start a poll, but you will need a few months to get any meaningful information.

i doubt build date has anything to do with it. it's more likely how it is driven and cared for.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There would be no harm in gathering the information. If there was a correlation that would be an eye opener!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Tande and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    especially since some 2011's are starting to have oil burning problems as they accumulate mileage.

7. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As per last year's Consumer Reports reliability charts, every Prius model year from 2006 to 2015 has the highest reliability rating for major engine and minor engine reliability. Major engine includes head gaskets, cylinder heads, engine rebuild or replacement. Compared to other cars out there, the engine is a very strong point- even for the 2010 model year. Doesn't mean the ICE is perfect, but it's holding up much better than the other 2010 engines out there.

In fact, the 2010 Prius is rated at much better than average or better than average in 16 of the 17 categories. The category of In-Car Electronics had a reliability of average.

OTOH, before buying my preowned Prius, I took a long look at the Honda Insight. For that car, the model years of 2012 and the first half of 2013 had major oil burning problems, which were acknowledged by both consumers and Honda of North America. I would call the HQ's customer service to review VIN #'s of vehicles that I was thinking of purchasing and they would tell me if those cars had an extended engine warranty.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    relative to other cars, not surprising at all. not sure how cr puts together its info.

9. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is what cr uses?

11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yow, that's confusing.

13. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, it's a survey among it's readers. From my personal experience, it has been pretty much spot on with my previous cars over the years. When I was shopping I would cross reference the problem areas identified with what was being discussed on the forums. The expensive AC problem with the 2nd generation Fits helped to steered me away from them since it could be around a $1,200 repair. Same with some years of the Insight.

The Toyota family has had it's share of engine problems, too. The 2nd generation Scion xB had oil burning issues with their engines. There was a class action lawsuit against Toyota in the US over their 2AZ-FE engines. I was active on the xB forums and it was a real concern.

In the same CR reliability charts from last year, it listed engine problems with the Lexus IS. The '06-'09 years had much worse than average reliability with major engine issues (and the minor engine issues weren't very good, either).

I'm planning to keep my Prius for a long time and hope the reliability reports about the 3rd gen stay positive.

CNYhybrid and Prodigyplace like this.
  14. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nope, (sorry for the confuzz)......just another info. source

Prodigyplace and bisco like this.