1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Center console design: no-lie-made me decide not to buy a new one

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by swing, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What I'm rather curious about is what are the people who won't buy a new Prius because of the console, buying? It's not like there are a whole lot of vehicles that don't have a center console.

In fact, the only ones I can think of are minivans, some low trim line pickup trucks (the base Tacoma regular cab is one of them) and some big SUVs.

But the only car left where a bench seat is still available is in a base-trim Chevy Impala. Are people really choosing to buy an Impala instead of a new Prius because of the bench seat?

For the record, I liked the previous Prius' center console better, too (whole lot more storage space), but the shifter on the console is more convenient than the old shifter on the dash.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not speaking for anyone else, but for me, it's not about buying another car. i'm just staying with my 08 for now, hoping they'll make a change in the future. it's not center console vs bench seat, it's the new center console vs the old one as your last line stated.:)

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1) Agreed. Shifter on the front console in 2nd Gen is prone to getting bumped when reaching for the vent knob or other things in that area. Not cool to bump it into 'B' gear. Maybe people mistake that for unintended acceleration as B gear on freeway makes the engine race. I've bumped it into B gear a couple times.

2) 2nd Gen's totally open space contributes to needing the touchscreen plastered up high and recessed into the dash, which in turn requires the driver's seat be made within reach of touchscreen (IOW, crappy legroom for long legged driver, and steering wheel pressed up close to the dash).

3) Many cars have a low center console with shifter in center. That's probably the best compromise for the next gen Prius. Camry, Accord, Civic, etc... all examples of that type console.

4) I'm totally against going back to the 2nd Gen Prius interior / console design for the 4th Gen Prius. It's tough to reach the steering wheel in this 2nd Gen, and I'm not sliding forward. Only a matter of time until selling out.

5) 2nd Gen's interior based on the 1st Gen Prius' interior. Better to move forward than back.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i agree with not going backward. but i don't think the III goes forward as much as it just is a terrible waste of space. i agree about trying to reach the touchscreen and always thought knobs would be better. but i suppose having it closer and the touch tracer help. i hate taking my eyes off the road and there is nothing tactile about the screen.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I stayed with my 2006. I didn't really need a new Prius, but I was temped. Even with excellent deal offered by Toyota to those of us attending the Detroit auto show, there were too many things about the 2010 that I didn't like. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I needed a new car, but I wasn't willing to exchange my Gen II for a Gen III.

Tom

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I think the Prius should be offered with the present dashboard as an option - "Sports Interior Option". I think they DEFINATELY should bring back the 2nd Gen position of the shifter, and someway to get rid of that hunk of plastic between the front seats. The present position of the shifter promotes one-handed driving, which is unsafe. The center console restricts knee movement, which may result in mis-placed foot position, and accidents due to late braking.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the only time my knee bumps the floating bridge console is with cruise control on and scootch legs up close away from pedals. Not a big deal.

Again, for the 4th Gen, I'd like to see a low center console with good balance of bringing buttons/touchscreen within reach and possibility for someone to hike legs over it to exit the passenger side of car.

8. iwarshaw

iwarshaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2010 Prius, and I'm 6'1", 300lbs, and feel just fine in the driver's seat. I've done the West Palm to Atlanta (>600mi) roundtrip a few times and feel amazingly comfortable (certainly better than my 2008 Saab 9.3 convertible).

Ira Warshaw

9. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oohh.. yea..... front bench seats!.... thats sexy!...... "back in the 60's!" LOL!

I like front bench seat too actually...... Is there a way to have both?

10. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You don't have to go back to the 60 just go to Japan and ge a home market Nissan Cube...Nice bench seat...

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    that would be a nice option...but would totally change the dynamics of the front dash of the car......

The real question will be whether it will sell or just appease a select few.

12. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably just the few malcontents here who think the gen III center console is lame...

Look the car is selling well...Lot's of people obviously think it is cool and works well. I think it is cool and works well and since I am the center of my own world all is well with it :)

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well in defense of the other crowd... it would be nice you have your little pup snuggled up next to you without being in your lap causing dangerous driving.
    I"m sure many of the younger folks would like their best girl doing the same.... "please no lap dancing while driving"

I do remember the days when it had its advantages..... but until they figure out a way to get both, they have to go with the best seller.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Except that the Gen 2 still had a centre console in the way. You'd have to go way back to the Gen 1 to have a fairly low console.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't mind the floating bridge console much, but what does bother me is the limited adjustment range of the steering wheel, so much that I think I'd be against paying for a new 3rd Gen Prius, but only buy a used one at big savings. If I could find a better 5 seat hatchback, I'd buy that.

Steering wheel needs to tilt down more and pull closer to the driver. Only notice it with seat slid nearly full back and cranked down, where I like it. It's not as good as it could be like in a Civic, Camry or Accord.

Hopefully they improve this on the next Gen Prius, or better yet, a mid model update. Couldn't come soon enough, 'cause I wouldn't mind changing cars by next Summer.

16. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The other issue is one of safety. With airbags etc, I'm not so sure how safe it would be to have a passenger seated in the middle of a bench seat in the front.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thats true.. she might reach over and grab something she's not supposed to while driving. :D

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thats true. A little 4 on the floor...ifyaknowwhatimean ;)

19. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Hm....a certain Led Zepplin song comes to mind....

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    D'Yer Mak'er

one many excellent tunes from the best