1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Center console design: no-lie-made me decide not to buy a new one

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by swing, Aug 19, 2009.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't like the shifter too close to the steering wheel. Call me careless, but while reaching in that area, I've knocked the car into 'B' gear on the freeway about 2 times since owning. IMO, it didn't take much: One little bump down on that shifter, and boom, you're in B gear right away.

Talk about an excuse for claiming stuck accelerator, or UI, going into B gear on freeway will give un-knowledgable that (renters, those who don't read OM, never tried B gear, etc...).

I think less likely to bump shifter on center console.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well judging by the new members on this board, they've certainly succeeded in bringing in new people.

3. lostpw

lostpw New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2009 Prius (basic, II) and wanted to upgrade to leather and GPS with 2011. I had not looked at the new models but when I went to look at the 2011 car, I noticed the center console and hated it. And I discovered that the 2010 console was similar. I instantly upgraded my 2009 in my mind and will not be buying a new Prius until that ugly, incommodious, and soooo Yuppy console, goes away.

I don't know how to use this forum but if anyone has a low milage (30K) 2009 with leather and GPS I am looking for one.

I loved the look of the Prius. So sensible. Now with that claustrophobic thing in the center, I'm not so sure.

yurihash likes this.
  4. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We liked the Gen 3 Prius, with the redesigned center console, so much that we bought two. Isn't it great that we can each get a car that is best for our unique preferences. :peace:

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Why I pulled in to a Jack in the box just today and the girl at the window looked in and was admiring my stick shift... .... can't get any better than that???

2 people like this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you seen the Prius v? It has an open console design like the Gen2.

7. olyprius

olyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ^^:pound:^^

Yup happened to me too! We must have identical stick shifts that girls just admire. The positive to the 2010-11 center console is that it makes a great barrier for when your wife/GF tries to punch you in the stomach. :p

8. Ghoti

Ghoti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just upgraded (albiet earlier than I intended) from a Gen II to a Gen III, and while I do miss the spaciousness of the Gen II's interior, the Gen III is appealing in an entirely different manner. I just wish there were somewhere that I could set my cell phone so that when it rings, I can glance at it and see who is calling rather than have to dig the phone out of the cup holder. The small compartment under the stereo head in the Gen II was perfect for that. Ah well; win some; lose some.

9. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like the center bridge, the stick falls readily to hand. My only complaint is that there should be more storage there, somewhere for change or the phone would be great. There's so much real estate on the dash and bridge that thy really missed the boat in not adding a few extra cubbies.

As for it being confining, I thought it might be, but even for my fat-self I don't mind it one bit. My seat is all the way down and almost all the way back and it's not a pinch even with a big winter coat on.

I'm guessing that the next-gen cars (or a major refresh) will bring the Prius v's bridgeless interior to the entire lineup though.

[​IMG]

10. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, don't buy one. Your funeral.:rolleyes:

11. arnettjs

arnettjs My gas guzzler pulls my boat!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aesthetically, I love it. From a practicality perspective, its just short of useless. The angles are all way off, rendering it a pain. Agreed about accessing the passenger sheet comfortable, also. Other than that, I'm loving my 2011....lest we forget, I bought this vehicle for the mileage!

1 person likes this.
  12. Prius2012hotness

Prius2012hotness New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agreed, I was looking at the Prius C which looked decent in pictures and looks like cheap plastic junk in person. So I said screw it and checked out the Prius and instantly fell in love with it because of the console... LOVE IT. My wife on the other hand would agree with the OP and is still considering the Prius C

13. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I never liked the interior design of the 2nd gen. When I bought my 2009 Corolla S I test drove a new 2nd gen Prius too & I didn't like the interior design or the exterior for that matter. I loved the thought of 50 mpg but the looks paled in comparison to the new 10th Gen Corolla S IMO so I bought the Corolla. When the new 3rd gen Prius came out I loved the new interior design as it felt much more like the information came to me as the driver instead of it looking so plain & farther away. The exterior design was also 10x better IMO so we bought our 2010 Prius III when they were giving huge discounts because the new 2011's were in stock. Got a smoking deal with 0% interest that I couldn't say no too. :D

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wish the shifter were somewhere else and that space was a storage box for iphone or what have you. i would like one flat surface in the dashboard console area.

15. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I love the look of the center console bridge vs the prius c.
    I've always been partial to more enclosed, cockpit like driving environments rather than the open space.

16. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Either design philosophy is ok with me. I can get used to anything. What I love about the liftback is the shifter design. In fact, I want an even more electronic interface, vs a physical one in the form of a clunky shifter.

I like the bridge because I swapped my DIY iPhone cradle for the shifter. It keeps the phone in hand's reach to manage music, text msg, calendar, etc.

17. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

MMB, Great idea! You got me thinking now.....

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's unique that's for sure. Actually, a McLaren super car (forgot name) has a similar 'waterfall' console MC12?

I don't think Toyota will make another Prius with floating bridge again. I think I'd prefer it not to have the floating bridge, but it does and I love the car, so it doesn't matter.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MP4-12C?

Ditto. I don't mind either design.

I like the Gen 2 because...

• Feels spacious
    • Can exit through the passenger door in a tight spot or if there's fast traffic
    • hidden drawer
    • Looks like a one-piece dashboard
    • the shifter was kept on the dashboard and is easy to reach without taking the hand off the wheel

I like the Gen 3's bridge design because...

• Looks more upscale and sophisticated as a whole (as well as sporty and cozy as a byproduct)
    • Provides a tray in lieu of the drawer that's big enough for a small purse or take-out box :D
    • Shifter is within easy reach when I rest my arm on the centre console
    • I actually like the blue/silver shifter design. Very cool imo and better than the standard round (usually black) shift knobs on every other car.

The only issue is that because the bridge is form over function, the shifter takes up more space than necessary (yes the shifter is supposed to look like a drop of water and the silver trim around the base of the shifter is supposed to represent ripples (along with the raised outer ring)

20. bgil

bgil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I just have to weigh in here...

I was ready to buy the 2012...took my wife to test drive one and she did not like that console one bit. She found it too confining.

I found the console somewhat different but I could have lived with it.

We ended up buying a Prius c 4, and like it a lot. There are just 2 of us and we find the front area spacious .