1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Center console design: no-lie-made me decide not to buy a new one

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by swing, Aug 19, 2009.

1. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry to hear you don't like the Gen III. I love it! Hope you enjoy your Gen II.

2. Dirk Lerxst

Dirk Lerxst New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The center-oriented dash is seriously the only thing that has caused me to pause my interest for a short time, when I saw the normal, driver's side orientation of the Insight. I just like that better. The console? Didn't even cross my mind. Now that I look at it on the Toyota site, the only thing that crosses my mind is the question, "Where are the cupholders?!" Seriously. Am I missing something? I don't see any in the front doors.

3. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There are 4 cup holders in the front seat area. One each in the front doors (though they are rather slim) and one just below the shifter, under the console cover. There is a 4th one in the center console, which you can slide back to access. Finally, there are two more (for a total of 6) on the rear seat center console which can be lowered when you have only two passengers in the car.

For a small car, I think that 6 is pretty good.

4. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like you needed an excuse not to buy a new Prius. I wouldn't expect to see the design concept to change in the future. I like the area below the bridge. Good place to store things. I also wouldn't have bought it without the armrest.

5. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I honestly don't really have a problem in reaching down to the passenger seat (seat belt on) and passenger seat floor (seat belt off). I'm 6' though, maybe this is a big issue for shorter people?

I personally have really gotten to like the center console. The lower tray reduces clutter, and the arm rest, for once, is just PERFECT for long distance driving.

6. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We really like the design! I'm usually the driver and it is fun to drive and even just sit in. My gf loves the feel of the passenger's side as well. Sorry to hear it's a deal breaker for you!

7. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a Gen III, so don't flame me, but I think the Gen III is a move toward more of a "normal" car and less of a Prius. That's not a bad thing, and is usually the progression of any car as the type ages. The earlier Miata's are said to be better Miata's, but the newer ones are better cars as well.
    I think the average car buyer expects a center console, But I agree with you, I like the open feeling and the floor storage space of the Gen II.

8. blippo

blippo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree with the OP. It feels like your sitting in a cramped cardboard box with that center console

1 person likes this.
  9. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm right there with you. I didn't quote the entire post but there is nothing in it I don't agree with and could add quite a few more. My in-laws got a model IV, I have not driven it but have sat in it to see just how that arch compared to my preconceived notions based on the pictures.

The only way I would buy a 2010 interior Prius (or any other car) to replace one of our Gen IIs would be if it came with a minimum of 20 mile EV or the Gen IIs die. Maybe not even the second one, I'd probably find a 2009 new or used and buy that instead.

10. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe that is why you aren't bothered by the change :) I suspect those that dislike it most know what they have lost. Style? kind of in the eye of the beholder. And yes, if I am on a long trip, my right leg will be constrained unlike the prior model (I am 6'2")

Functionality? The arch and replacement of the touch screen for radio and climate controls with a bunch of small, non tactile buttons is a huge step backward. Heck, even the buttons on the wheel that DO have a tactile element all have the SAME raised dot. The 2004-2009s had dimples for 'down' and a hump for 'up'. You didn't have to feel the entire button to figure out which part you were on.

You want to change which vents are in use? In the 2010: Look down, find the button, hold it while watching the little icon and let go when you get the one you want. In the 2004-2009: Push the Climate button on the side of the MFD and then the vent you want. Like the shifter, you don't need to know which position is currently selected, it doesn't matter, you go straight to what you want. Total 'eyes off the road' time < 2 seconds and that is if you look for the Climate button (non tactile). AND the 'elevation change' from road to buttons is negligible, unlike looking down on the arch. So it is also a safety issue. Then there is winter. I'm sure those little buttons will be hard to hit with gloves on.

Oh, and with respect to the clutter being hidden, the now lost drawer under the center console can do that just fine :)

11. Dirk Lerxst

Dirk Lerxst New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aha, HIDDEN cupholders. Clever.

After looking some more at the general cockpit design, I like it a lot. I like the "raised console" idea - something I always wondered why cars never had when they had those piddly little consoles down on the floor. Seems to raise controls to a point where they're right at hand-height to me, rather than flat against the dash, or low down near the floor.

12. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry, but I disagree 110%. The usable area of the console arm rest is smaller, the arch makes it impossible to lay your forearm on the rest without bending your wrist back. If you decide to use the cup holder buried in the console the remaining bit of arm rest is barely elbow sized. And that is with the seat ALL THE WAY BACK. I doubt a short driver could use the rest or access the cup holder in the console at all.

They could have put the lower 'tray' in the old design AND left the under console drawer. There is an after market tray you can stick to the carpet for the Gen IIs though it isn't as enclosing.

And maybe I didn't look hard enough, but it appears the tray IN the console is hinged at the back and does not easily lift out. To get to anything under it, you have to spill the contents down the back side or empty it out. So much for the spare change. But then, given the relative uselessness of the cup holder in there (short cups will be hard to get out, tall ones in the way of your arm), might as well put the spare change in it. BTW, it does lift out, maybe so you can put the ashtray accessory (shown in the Gen II console on the Toyota site by the way) in there.

13. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The new center console is one of the things I really love about the 2010, strange I have the 07 I dont see much difference in my ability to reach the other door, glove compartment or my computer case???

Anyway I love the redesign interior.:violin:

14. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is a fair representation of my feelings on it, also. I'm not a fan of the center console bridge -- in terms of looks, that is. It may grow on me, but I really preferred the cleaner look of the open dash in my 2007. The functionality, though, is another issue. I never liked the fact I couldn't place something on the floor without having it fly away. Now I can place something under the bridge and access it easily and quickly (and it won't fly out and get in the way of my feet!).

I like the fact the Nav screen is now lower, the ventilation buttons are closer, and the driving mode buttons are easily accessible to my right hand (when I'm resting my arm on the center arm rest).

I don't like the cupholder world (at least in comparison to my 2007). This opinion hasn't changed much, though I do find it is just as easy to access both cupholders and the only loser is whomever may be in the back seat.

Design wise? I still like the older look.

All-in-all? I bought the 2010 for everything under the hood, behind the dash, and available for storage in the cargo area beneath the hatch. It really out-performs my 2007 in every way. AND, I like the look of the 2010 much better. I still find the Gen2 very appealing, but I like the Gen3 appearance just a bit more. (I REALLY like the look and feel of the 17" wheels!)

I've got to agree with this. I think Toyota felt it had to make the Prius more "accessible" to the larger car-buying public in America. They already have most of us who would buy the car not for looks but for function, value and techno-wow. Now they need to add the rest of the world (or at least a larger portion of it :D).

I have no real problem accessing the passenger side in my 2010 (as compared to my 2007), so I agree with this view.

Still, I don't really like the look of the center console bridge, but so many people do that resale ought to be better!

1 person likes this.
  15. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You want a traditional car layout...and you don't want a console? 99% of cars sold today have center consoles...

Have you driven a 2010 on a long trip, or are you just making your "experience" up?

I'll take a slight constraint by a console...like I'd have in any car to have seat adjustments and a normal angle to the steering wheel. Our 2004 Prius is simply the most uncomfortable car I've driven on a trip...ever. To get comfortable my knees have to be touching the dashboard, and thats not comfortable...just passable. I literally take tylenol before I set out.

The 2010 is like a Bentley by comparison...

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have you driven a Bentley or are you just making your "experience" up? :D

17. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I have a Gen 2 with 126,000 miles on it. I love it.

I think the Gen 3 is much much nicer than mine. The interior is much more appealing and up-to-date than mine.

That's why manufacturers make so many different styles. Everyone wins. You don't have to buy a Prius and you get to choose a vehicle that suits you better. When mine comes due for replacement I get to choose one that suits me and I do get to buy a Prius.

18. IraS

IraS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The concept of the center console doesn't bother me. I don't find it encroaching on the driver's space any more than the console in the 2004 Prius. It just extends all the way to the dashboard now.

What I miss from my 2004 Prius is all of the interior storage space. The doors now only have bottle holders, not map pockets/bottle holders. The storage compartment below the CD player (where I used to keep my MP3 player) is gone. The drawer in the front of the center console is gone. The storage space in the center console is smaller (e.g. my digital camera no longer fits into the storage area - I have to remove the cup holder and turn the camera sideways to get it to fit). I think the glove compartments are smaller. The sunglass holder (on the roof) may be smaller (but, since my sunglasses fit, it doesn't matter to me). The front cup holders are slightly less convenient (I normally use them for storage space also).

I had to rearrange where I stored things in the car. However, I got everything I needed to fit somewhere. It may not be as convenient, but I will get used to it.

yurihash likes this.
  19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Think about it, we used to need to carry a buttload of stuff in the old days (Thomas Guide/physical maps, CDs, etc.), necessitating the space to store all these stuff. Now, we have maps in the NAV and 30,000 songs in our pocket (iPod) and the new center console is designed to maximize the driver's user interface.

20. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You really must not care about how the car drives given the fact that the 3rd gen drives 100x better than the old one. If that's not enough to make you want to buy a new one, you really don't want to buy another car. Glovebox or not, that's all an excuse