1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Center console design: no-lie-made me decide not to buy a new one

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by swing, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Gotta tell you, the reason I fell in love with the 2010, was cockpit design and the comfort in the drivers seat from my 2003 generation prius. I took a second look at the center console as well, and although it first was not appealing, when driving the car made a whole different opinion from my early glances.

I not only bought the Model V, love the improved seats and support over the earlier version, (always got a sore back when taking a longer trip), don't have that in this model. Acutally the center console is like a central point for a control center...almost. It comforable as well.

I do however agree, what was Toyota thinking about the heated seat buttons close to the floor?? That should have also been brought to the center console area on top. That was a poor design feature, and would love to understand the thought process in placing them in that area?? Or was it they ran out of room??

Hmmmmmmmmmm

But love the new design..sorry you didn't like the console...

2. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At least the OP refused to buy a Prius for a reason we can all see and understand. (Not in the sense of it being a deal-breaker, but in the sense that we can clearly see the center console is there.)

Others in these forums have expressed concerns about getting a Prius due to woefully ignorant misconceptions about its MPG and how hybrids work. So I feel I've got to give credit to someone who has a factual reason for rejecting the Prius, whether I agree with it or not.

3. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm with you! I hate it as well..and it's THE major reason for me holding off on my purchase.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Time to look at this thread then?

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/67456-going-going-almost-gone.html#post933892

Better act fast!

5. dfran1

dfran1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I Agree, way better than the 2005 we had also. I totally love the new cockpit design, I love it so much that tomorrow I am taking my 2009 loaded to the gill Camry XLE v6 in for trade on a Prius V with tech. My wife thinks I am crazy but I just love these new 2010 Prius's, hopefully they fix the blurry AC panel soon now that I should soon have 2.

6. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

7. clarkljones

clarkljones New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the flying buttress console is a really cool looking and very original idea. I have had a 2008 for about 3 months and just love it even if it is a bit "plain" in the interior. That is what made me look at the 2010 and now want to order one of those if I can ever find dealer who has any idea what "safety connect" is all about. they seem clueless.

8. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm looking forward to the center console. I commute with my husband a lot and it will be great to have my purse stowed underneath there. Currently I keep it in the back seat and it's a pain if I have to grab cash or my debit card from there while getting gas or going through a drive-thru.

9. runnerhi

runnerhi New Member

Model:
    IV
    The new design of the dashboard is great! The design has "clean lines", nothing sticking up from the center console. I love my model IV with solar. I love it, I love it, and I love it!!!! I also love my wife, my son, and our two dogs. Sorry for getting off topic with the family.:)

10. gmalis1

gmalis1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not every car will please every person. Personally, I like the center console design.

As for "short people" having problems accessing parts of the console, I am 5'5" and have no problems. When not "occupied", I use the "front" cup holder to hold my iPhone. I like the MP3 adapter, where I can connect my iPod directly to my (non-Nav) stereo (no more adapters and FM convertors needed, like in my 2005 Prius).

My arm fits fine on the console when driving. Wish I could say the same about my left arm. I find it uncomfortable at times if I have my left arm up on the window "sill" area. It seems higher than in my 2005 Prius.

And I really haven't found a good comfortable place for my hands on the steering wheel. I usually like spoked wheels that are at 10:00 and 2:00, but the Prius' is lower than that. Not a big fan.

The heated seat buttons are in an AWFUL position. I hate that. It's like Toyota put them in as an after thought. Bad, bad design.

None of these were deal breakers for me. I think the interior design is vastly improved (different). The 2005 Prius had a nice open design. The 2010 Prius has more of a cockpit design. I liked both, but maybe I'm not that picky.

After all, I didn't design the interior to my specs, so I can't be that critical. It works for me. For other's it doesn't. If it's that important, then don't buy the Prius.

11. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I miss the center console storage from my Gen II but I love the look of the Gen III and the ease of use in the center console as it is now. With the roof open there is a lot of glare on the screens but that would happen with the II or the III. I just moved more junk out of the glove boxes to the back and use them more.

12. Mitchellsprius

Mitchellsprius New Member

Model:
    III
    I really like the look of the console and it does have functions I put my new garmin on the bottom. It did prevent a special moment between my passenger and me that is a problem.

13. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    So does the new console stop you from being able to slide across and get out of either side?

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes.

15. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Its just a matter of perspective... if you could "sit" someone in the center like in a straight seat, that would be one thing.. but in the GenII's they are still bucket... isn't that floorboard space in the center totally wasted? If you do put something there, it will most likely fall under your feet during a turn and become a risk.

Now you have the cockpit where everything is indeed at your fingertips without having to I now don't have to feel like I have to lean over and reach everything to find it on the dash.

At night there is a beautiful glow from the faint LED that emits onto the surface.

Now there is tons of storage space below that wasn't avaiable before... "where you put your cd's, purse, etc when the car is full of passengers?
    That storage space keeps the seat uncluttered with "stuff" sitting in them.

BTW.. for people who don't like change, you won't like the 2010!... other than having seats and a steering wheel, most everything is different....
    It really is a new car!

Some old dogs get confused if someone moves the dog bowl! :p

1 person likes this.
  16. tjp74

tjp74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2010 Center console design is not a bad design. It is a great design and they couldn't have done any better but it is for a closed cockpit design theme and it's not for everyone. Toyota just went from open cockpit design to a closed cockpit design. Some people hate open design and some will hate closed design. One isn't superior to other. both have prod and cos. There is no way you can't design one type and please everyone. But I believe it's pleasing more people than not looking at the sales number. But I wouldn't say 09 console design to be a bad one.

My boss couldn't stand it and I just love it. My other car is a Lexus GS350 AWD and you have center console upto your chest. I like the cozy enclosed feeling that some of RWD cars offer. 2010 Prius center console is a perfect for me, giving me the feel of driving a spaceship or jet fighter expecially with a joy stick shift control on it. It can't get any better than this! :D

But I know some doesn't like it. But still that doesn't mean it's a bad design. Just a different type.

17. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have driven a Bentley lol ;)

18. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your right.... one person likes red shoes and the other prefers blue and the third thinks both are absurd and need to be black and only black.

I really love the nightime feel of having the low glow LED lighting over the cockpit combined with the stars coming through the open sunroof... quite a trippy experience!

Not enough light to take away your nightvision, but enough to tantalize the eyes!

19. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ...and why would anyone want to do such a thing??

20. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Oh well. I say tomato, you say tomato. I say potato you say potato.

hmmm, that didn't come out quite right, but you know what I mean. :eek:hwell:

Good job ramping up discussion on the topic though.