1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Center console design: no-lie-made me decide not to buy a new one

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by swing, Aug 19, 2009.

1. tjp74

tjp74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And example of really poor design is when a designer has no clear vision/direction or too much ideas and try to please everyone and end up with mixture of everything that no one finds quite pleasing or useful.

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Another other viewpoint is, I like as many options as possible.. if I don't use some of them, they can sit until I do, or just be there.

I have no problem putting a briefcase from the drivers side to the other.. "as mine aren't full of gold!" and I feel most successful products appeal to as large a populous as possible.

Most people don't mind having what they don't need as long as they have what they do. Its much better than the other way around.

People that want an exact controlled world where everything is perfect and all the food is done the way mama always did it are the ones that will have issues.

Some people are picky eaters, others aren't.. the picky ones don't get much to eat unless they are willing to pay for a private chef.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry the new design does not work for you. hope you find something that does. nothing works for everyone.

as for me, i have both, and i prefer the new design. it puts a lot more controls in easier reach for me. less MFD access required, more info available and more functionality.

now, my SO who is the passenger (she loves it when she is driving) does not like it as much. (personally i think she mad cause she does not have the additional seat adjustments!!)

but then again, its all personal. i am only 5'8" so room is not an issue for me plus there are pluses and minuses to everything. now either car is a great choice and i still have 2006 with no plans to get rid of it (only an affordable highway capable EV with more than 100 mile range will change that decision)

but the pluses of the 2010 simply outweigh the minuses, and to be honest with ya, at least for me, it was not a close contest.

4. SCJoe

SCJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just a general musing: I wonder if more or less people would be happy with the "bridge" console if it was solid. That is, if the empty area under the bridge was filled in, maybe with a cargo compartment with a door.

5. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Speaking of this - I would expect that an aftermarket firm will design and produce some sort of a plastic cover piece for both vertical sides of the lower console. Like a snap-in piece that may have accordian-like slider openings to access both sides. Storage still stays in place, but secure from prying eyes.

6. mr.whit

mr.whit Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I like it... I like it a lot... That's all I got to say about that!

7. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I may have missed it but has anyone thought about how this just leaves one more 2010 for someone that wants one?

8. stevenj1224

stevenj1224 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just the opposite for me....I love the center console, placement of the NAV and controls, and the accessibility of the storage space beneath....it was a big plus for me when I was comparing the Prius and Insight.

9. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Come on, give us a break! I don't like the center console either, but it's far from being a dealbreaker for me considering the other advantages! I think you were not really excited about buying it and is using the center console as a scapegoat…

10. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Gen II is much more the Driver's cockpit. The shifter is right there next to the steering wheel, and when you make rapid steering reverses your knee does not get all banged up against hard plastic.

The Problem is people who have driven cars with stick shifts on the center floor do not realise this. The shifter itself becomes a symbol, even though with electronics there are much better ways. My God, When is the last time anybody has seen a F1 car with anything but electronic controlled steering located shifters!

Hell, Barney Oldfield is dead and burried. There is no reason to keep driving a car with a 1930s School Bus Control Layout, and I am sure Barney would agree with me!!

11. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds like you 4 wheel in yours? :p

I like change.. I have two 2006 prius's.. I'm really glad its a new car and not the old one again.
    I like the fingertip convenience of everything close and intimate.
    I love the nighttime ambiance.

If I did drive crazy around corners, I would think the console would give me stability rather than be in my way so I can bounce around.

I can't identify with your points.. but thats alright....
    Btw....your under arrest for speeding! :mod:

12. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nope. Just the everyday normal Cell Phone and Texting avoidance manuevers.

13. Paddlenround

Paddlenround New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am stunned. I absolutely love the new interior. It was what made me consider the new Prius. Our black 2010 Prius V looks 'bad nice person' inside and out! Leather and tinted windows, its a sports car with the best mileage around.

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Second that! :thumb:

15. Randall Rash

Randall Rash Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you "stored" something in that area in prior models it would have fallen on the floor, because there was nothing there.:eek: Now at least there is a place to put sunglasses since the overhead storage is gone on the sunroof models.

Kathristal likes this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Living in CA, I can understand why you'll never use the feature. Living in cities where parking spaces are smaller than standard size (i.e. your neighbour's duelly won't fit), you can park against one side and come out the other door. Works well since the Prius is narrow (same width as a Corolla) and I pride myself in good parking skills so that last spot is usually empty (cause ppl pass it up as they can't park centred and get out the driver's side)

17. Zack

Zack New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Get yourself Ford Fusion Hybrid instead! You will like interior for sure and there are many other things to like, great Sony stereo, nice nav, Bluetooth, camera, heated seats, plenty of room front and back ... more.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But it has a centre console.

19. concertinajohnnyboy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What car do you drive Mr. Swing?

20. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't mind the design of the center console / bridge, but I wish the fit and finish were a little better. Just resting my arm on the 'bridge' while driving and I can feel the plastic parts shifting, moving etc. Probably going to be squeaking soon enough.