1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Center console design: no-lie-made me decide not to buy a new one

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by swing, Aug 19, 2009.

1. someToast

someToast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was glad to see the dash/console redesign in the 2010. I had liked the idea of the car in previous years, but the driver's layout left me cold.

I haven't had it for long, but it's a very fun car to drive, and I know that a big part of that is what I'm seeing and what's within reach of where I sit.

2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Enough to trade in your solar roof package for the eyeglass holder?

3. jyoungprius

jyoungprius Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    As you can see, I have been on PriusChat since 3/2005 and have not posted much, but On this issue I have to put in my 2 cents.

I bought a 05 Prius back in March '05 and loved everything about it. I put nearly 84,000 miles on it and from about '07 forward was eagerly looking forward to the new and improved 3rd Gen Prius.

Then on Jan 12, '09 the big reveal showed me that after almost 6 years of development, Toyota completely ruined the interior styling of the Prius by putting some kind of monstrosity between the dashboard and the console, moved the gearshift selector off of the dash where it was out of the way to the middle of that giant bridge where it most definatly will be accidentally hit now and then, tried to force me to spend way to much for the navigation system simply to get the backup camera, shrunk the space inside the console, took the easily reachable back seat cup holders and put them in the back seat armrest (which eliminates the center seating position), eliminated the storage space in the center of dash and hidden space under the center console, eliminated the overhead storage and shrunk the door map pockets.

I could go on and on about how the interior styling of the 3rd gen Prius has been totally screwed up.

I was so disgusted with the redesign of the Prius interior and the very minor 3 mpg improvement in fuel efficiency, that after years of waiting for the 3rd gen Prius, I went out and traded my '05 Prius for a '09 Prius while they still had a good selection at the local dealers.

Now after seeing and test driving the newest Prius, I do NOT regret my decision at all.

2 people like this.
  4. SCJoe

SCJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey, wait a minute. Clearly you don't mean that every 80's Buick was a POS. :nono:

(I just traded in my '86 Regal as a C4C deal for my Prius).

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the new Prius and if I had the $20k+ I need to change over from my 2004 to the new Prius I'd be in the dealer's office right now signing a deal.
    The 2004 to 2008/9 are great cars but I honestly believe the 2009 released Generation III Prius is a giant leap ahead.

I love the Gen III centre console, it defines this car as a driver's car.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Um, the second C in C4C stands for clunker: -
    clunker - definition of clunker by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    Is that another way to say POS? Sorry, I'm not sure :confused:

7. SCJoe

SCJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, sure, now. But back in the day, that was a serious Cruise Mobile. :cool:

Anyway, turning away from the bad joke, I've only had my Prius for a couple of days, and it struck me as I got out of it this morning that I haven't even noticed the existence of the "arch" while driving. That was surprising, because I was skeptical when I first saw it. Granted, the novelty of the new car is still there, and we haven't taken any long trips yet.

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Because the car is parked next to a fence in your narrow driveway and your 14 Y/O daughter wants to sit in the front. Happened again just this past Monday :) It would be harder in a 2010 and hopefully a person doing it wouldn't get hung up on the shifter.

9. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, I think that would be preferable. The sides on the area aren't THAT high. pile a bunch of stuff on it and some may end up on the floor. And there is no reason Toyota could not have put a similar short sided tray in a Gen II interior.

Of course, if it had a door, you could not access anything in it while driving which could be a pain. And they would have to move the seat heater switches and 12V outlet to a usable location. :)

10. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I love it!!! Now I do not have to reach around to the back seat anymore if I need something from it when I commute with my husband.

I also love the shifter where it is. My last two cars were stick shifts so I am used to it there. I just have to get used to where D and R are because it's opposite of what I am used to.

[​IMG]

11. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I find the exact opposite. If can't shift my legs both directions, my knees get stiff and I have to get out to work the kinks out.

12. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sounds like you aren't exactly going for max MPG if you drive your Prius that way.

13. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Let's all remember why we argue so passionately about issues such as this. It is because we love the Prius and can't find another vehicle that truly competes with it. Even other Toyota HSD vehicles are not competition for it. Thus if we don't like something about it, it really pisses us off. For me, it was having to pay for the nav to get a sunroof. I got over it and made my choice.

If you don't like something about the Camry, there are at least 6 different cars that compete with it. The Prius is simply unique, so If we want one, we have to take the good with the bad.

I like the console but understand why it would be painful to hate it. It means giving up an otherwise wonderful car. If you have a Gen II, you can stay with it. I am new to Prius and really excited about getting mine (3 days from now)!

14. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not every Prius owner drives for MAX mpg. Some drive it like a regular car and are very happy with the MPG get driving that way.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ah yes . . . the good ol' days:

[​IMG]

With not a seat belt to be found anywhere.
    But they WERE roomie

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my not so humble opinion, the center console allowed Toyota to place the touchscreen and accessory control buttons much more within reach while allowing more rearward driver seat travel.

I believe the reason the 2nd Gen Prius had/has limited seat travel IS because the touchscreen is placed high and recessed into the flat dash. They needed to ensure drivers could reach the touchscreen to dial a number or put in a street address even when stopped. Not to mention, sometimes must use touchscreen while in motion with the car.

It would have been a safety issue to give the Gen2 car the rearward seat travel that Gen3 drivers now enjoy, because of the Gen2 MFD touchscreen.

I would prefer a center console with easy to reach controls and generous legroom / seat travel (the Gen3) over limited seat travel and faraway touchscreen (Gen2) and non-telescoping steering wheel.

Bottom line - The 3rd Gen Prius is much more 'mainstream' meaning it is designed to fit driver of shorter height to much taller height which describes many Americans. And the Gen3 is one fine car, much improved over the Gen2 Prius.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota could have left the shifter on the dash, and shortened the center console, leaving some gap between center console and armrest.

18. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm getting accustomed to it, but I still don't understand why the "shifter" had to be put on the console. I suppose the purpose of the console idea originally had been to enclose real gear shift levers, so a console without a lever would be "odd." BUT, it isn't a real gear shifter. It was better suited on the dash -- out of the way -- and the console's space would be better served with about anything in its place (particularly a cup holder).

Yes, it does "mainstream" the car, and many of us who've loved the older Prius just don't like the idea of being mainstream. Isn't this the car that is supposed to be out in front and pushing the edge of the envelope? (Or some such rant that I say to myself.)

19. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I could go either way with the shifter. My very first car was the original Corvair (no comments please). 2 speed auto trans operated with a small lever directly on the dash. Next car was a Plymouth Valiant, with the auto trans selector - pushbuttons on the dash.

Fast forward to the Prius. I certainly can see why folks would like a dash-mounted control - and use the console space for something else "worthy".

I LOVE the push button on-off. And the Park button - I use it when I get the mail; pull over and on go the flashers after pushing Park. The shifter is natural for me as so many of my previous cars have been auto floor shift mounted. But again - push buttons or such would have been very distinctive. As others are saying, looks as if Toyota went mainstream.

20. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    nopè, I am not that sad looking guy holding up traffic. I average 42mpg driving like a normal person. no eco mode needed.