1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 - Check Hybrid System (p07E8) Hesitates/Stalls when Accelerating

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by samsonite22, Oct 5, 2021.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you use Gunk Degreaser, NOT the foam type, it will clean a lot easier.
    I use a gun bore brush in a drill, on low speed. Takes a seconds to clear one with the gunk.

2. samsonite22

samsonite22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the info guys. I plan to get to the EGR and its passages at some point.

BUT, now that I have confirmation with the p0102 and p0113 codes, I know I have a mass airflow issue. So, since I've already cleaned the MAF sensor and seen no improvement, I think I'll order a cheap one off ebay and see if that works.

If anyone knows any tips/videos/etc. on how to troubleshoot those codes, feel free to shoot them my way. The only ones I've found aren't Prius-specific and don't feel as clear as a NutzAboutBoltz video. Thanks!

3. samsonite22

samsonite22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I will add that I've tried the technique of unplugging the MAF sensor while the Prius is running. It makes a rough noise initially and then sounds basically normal to me. Idk. But I've ordered the cheap MAF sensor off ebay today.

4. samsonite22

samsonite22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    TIme for an update. The ebay MAF sensor didn't work.

After a couple months, I now got another code: p0302 "Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected".

I went for the spark plugs. Their gaps seems a bit large, so I replaced them. I also swapped cylinders 2 and 3. No luck.

It then gave me these additional codes on top of the p0302: "p0300, p0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected" and "Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire"

So, I kept digging I saw somewhere it could be the MAP sensor. So I went into take a look and I'll upload the pics on the next post.

5. samsonite22

samsonite22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is what the MAP sensor and location looks like. Definitely had oil (normal?), but no “resistor” or “doodad”.

In the more the distant future, I plan to tackle the EGR cleaning, but for now I’ve set up a diagnostics appointment with a hybrid mechanic for Thursday.

Attached Files:

6. samsonite22

samsonite22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I should say it didn't fix the problem. It worked fine.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You really need to fix the hybrid battery first. It has been crying for help for six months and you just clear codes every few days. Odds are good the cylinders are so carboned up the engine is pinging when combined with low battery contribution.

Realize this engine is designed to have extremely low torque at low speeds because the hv battery adds significant power during those periods. Often initial acceleration from a stop is only electric power. If you have little or no electric power, the car will run poorly at low speeds and during acceleration.

Finally, allowing the preignition dieseling and lugging to continue for months just makes the potential for a head gasket or rod failure even more likely. Then it is replacement engine and hv battery time.

#27 rjparker, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  8. samsonite22

samsonite22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you saying the HV battery is causing the cylinder problems? I’d assumed they were separate.

9. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have been saying that since October. This is a parallel hybrid system. Both electric and gas work together. You add carboned up cylinders with a bad battery and you have your car.

10. samsonite22

samsonite22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry, I'm just a shade tree mechanic at best. Your explanations are over my head.

I have a hybrid battery guy (who's now about 3 hours away). He told me it was fine to keep driving it as is until it gets worse. Maybe now is that time. So I've got an appointment with a separate hybrid mechanic in town.

I trust my hybrid battery guy because I've met him and the Prius battery is one of his specialties. I don't mean this in a rude way, what are your qualifications? I'm limited to just usernames on here and familiarity (I've seen Mendel be helpful on multiple threads). You could be the creator of the hybrid or just Joe Schmo for all I know. Hope this helps.

11. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am a guy who has been there and done that. Fix your battery.

12. samsonite22

samsonite22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So this has happened to your Prius?

13. samsonite22

samsonite22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Didn’t get full diagnostics today because the mechanic confirmed @rjparker that the weakened battery will cause all sorts of problems for the Prius. And I’m now officially in the boat of repairing or replacing my battery STAT. The shakes have gotten worse and more common lately.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll admit to some doubts about the battery as a cause of engine shaking and misfire codes, so I'll be watching with interest for the follow-ups.

15. samsonite22

samsonite22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My battery guy said the opposite of the mechanic and I’m now so fatigued I’m prepared to give up and drive this thing off a cliff. I have no smart clue and it feels like I either pay the cost of a car to fix this car or I keep tinkering around, failing to figure out what it’s problem is. Thanks for all your help and good night.

16. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you still have the HV battery code P0A80 along with the other codes P0102, P0113, P0300, P0301, P0302, then I am guessing that you have two separate problems with your car.

I would try cleaning the intake manifold like shown in the video in post #20 above. Buy a new gasket that installs between the intake manifold and cylinder head. I cleaned my intake manifold this summer and it is not to hard to do. You may find that the 4 small EGR passages are clogged. This takes some time to do and it is cold outside but it may solve some of your P0xxx codes.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

17. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Another thought came to me. Try putting some fuel injector cleaner in you gas to see if your cylinder misfires go away.

18. samsonite22

samsonite22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mostly good news! I finally cleaned the intake manifold based on the Nutz About Bolts videos. I'm in an apartment complex so I had to figure out how to turn my shower into a water hose with a jet nozzle. Soaked it in purple power and sprayed it good.

In the following 14 days (that included a 2 hour trip to Nashville and back), I've had zero misfires.

The old minor symptoms still seem to be there (little hesitations, etc.) and the battery light still likes to come on. But the car gets great gas mileage and the battery shuts off at stoplights every other time, so I'll call it a victory.

19. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I had similar codes and odd symptoms when two cells of the HV battery cracked and leaked electrolyte that shorted to the body of the car. I was spending a lot of time in snow country, and I have to wonder if the cracked cells were the result of freezing. The HV codes don't show up on the normal Walmart ODBII code scanner.

Once the bad cells were replaced all the other codes went away.

#39 dbstoo, Feb 5, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  20. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "The old minor symptoms still seem to be there (little hesitations, etc.) and the battery light still likes to come on."

As far as I know, there is no battery light. Can you please check what light is coming on? Maybe post a picture of the light.

When you cleaned the intake manifold, did you use a small diameter brush to clean the 4 small EGR passages? Were any of them clogged?

#40 Brian1954, Feb 5, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2022