1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Front Seat Cushions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ckindiana, Sep 2, 2010.

1. ckindiana

ckindiana New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just bought my 2010 Prius IV on 8/23/10. I am very pleased with it and the gas mileage is awesome. It was great to fill up the tank for less than half the cost of my previous vehicle.

Today, I noticed that on the driver's seat, in the corner above the plastic molding that a little bit of foam was showing. After further investigation, it appears that the side of the seat wasn't sewn shut or was tearing apart from the stitching. I immediately took it to the dealer and they are calling toyota to see what they need to order to fix it. Whether that be a whole new seat or just a seat cushion.

When I got home, I looked at the passenger seat only to find something very similar! But, you can't notice/see it because this area is hidden by the plastic at the bottom of the seat.

Have any of you guys/gals experienced this issue? Is this normal? I'm thinking that since the passenger seat is like that, it was intentional. I can't see any wires running through these areas for heated seats. I'm very confused.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Yours truly,

Chris

I attached pictures of the driver's side seat and then the passenger comparison. But what's not photographed, is if you look under this plastic thing on the passenger seat, you'll see about a 1 to 2 inche area of the seam that hasn't been completely sewn.

Attached Files:

2. ckindiana

ckindiana New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Seriously? All these owners and 100 views and not one person can check their car out and reply?

3. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't have leather, but both sides on my car have no foam showing around the plastic.

4. ckindiana

ckindiana New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. Did you look under the plastic?

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Take the car to Toyota dealer. Seems a warranty repair. They will have a pro repair or replace the defect.

Don't try removing that trim piece yourself. It is not easy to remove. You will end up breaking tabs if you try.

Trim piece comes off then the pro can see what's going on with the bottom cover and / or the cushion.

6. ckindiana

ckindiana New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I immediately took it to the dealer yesterday. The service manager said that be was going to call Toyota and see if he could just get a replacement seat cushion vs a new seat or what he needed. But I notice the passenger side is like that too. Which makes me wonder if it is supposed to be there. Just not supposed to be visualized. You can't see it on the passenger side, yet it isn't sewn completely either.

7. danvee

danvee Blizzard Brigadier

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Chris,
    I have the mouse fur interior in my III.
    I checked out my seats and the material is tucked well under the plastic with no foam visible. Also checked 8 different IV's and V's at my local dealer today and saw nothing like your photos in any of them.
    The leather cover might have been cut a bit "short" or even split away when it was upholstered at the factory.
    Toyota should have no problem fixing it to your satisfaction.

Good Luck!

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Checked both sides, pulled the plastic out as far as I dared and looked behind it with a flashlight. No problems that I can see.

9. stavesacre03

stavesacre03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a IV as well and i can see foam when I pull the plastic back a bit (similar curve in the leather as your photo of the driver's side). But I can't see it without pulling the plastic back a bit so i'm not going to worry about it.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Injection molded foams sometimes have bits hanging off the edges. Something like a waffle running out the edge of the iron. May be what's going on - trim the foam bit, or leather prob. They'll figure.

11. rpeek2

rpeek2 Dry Ice Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No foam showing on my IV's leather front seats. Actually the seam is about 1/2-inch below the plastic trim piece on mine. Maybe a factory defect in your seats? Good luck with your dealer.