1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 - Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by eseerc, Sep 20, 2019.

1. eseerc

eseerc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2010 with 195k miles on it. For about 10 days, I have noticed a loud "humming" noise from what I thought was my left front tire when traveling at high speeds (70+ MPH). My dealership checked it out tonight and determined my driver's side front wheel bearing is the cause of the noise and needs replaced. I was quoted a little over $600 total for the repair ($380 parts, $220 labor).
    1. Is this something I should have repaired ASAP? I am unsure if the vehicle is unsafe to drive for myself, let alone with my children in it.
    2. I do plan on having the bearing replaced, but the quote seems pretty high to me. My dealership has always treated me good and am ok with paying a little extra for their service. However this seems to be quite a bit high. Does anyone have input on what would be considered a reasonable expense for this repair?
    Thank you in advance!

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Pay half that at an independent shop

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can drive it for awhile, but i would get another quote, make a decision and get it done at your earliest convenience

4. spiralhelix

spiralhelix Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i bought my wheel hub from 1aauto.com for around $100 for the pair. I installed it myself, but there are a couple challenges. If you aren't prepared to do the job yourself, then you might save a little on parts at an independent shop, and maybe a little on labor. I don't know what the tech manual says for a repair time...but honestly I'd guess probably close to 2 hours of labor. The hub will more than likely need to get pressed out which adds to the time (especially if you do it yourself, my shop charged me $35 to press it out). Then keep in mind, it will need a wheel alignment afterward since the tie-rod has to come off.

I drove for quite a while before tackling the job simply because the noise wasn't changing or getting worse with time and I didn't have a great place to work on the car at the time, but in the end my noise was just a worn tire (i know, should have just changed that first, but it didn't change with a tire rotation. Just turned out all the tires were worn, ha! The hub was definitely cheaper than all 4 tires. Also, I only installed one side, so I still have a good hub ready to get installed in the event that i need it.