1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Gen 3 Prius Fuel Pressure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ReadyToRoll, Apr 18, 2022.

1. ReadyToRoll

ReadyToRoll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What is the least expensive way to read fuel pressure? Most mechanics and dealers are at $125+

I have a wifi OBDII device and some app on my phone but do not think it gave this info. Purchase was just for 1 year anyway and has expired. A local mechanic I know hooked up to his device for multiple vehicles and the fuel pressure info was blank. He did input vehicle data, ect. but still no pressure info.

At 205k and still only 45mpg after doing all mentioned EGR, plugs, intake cleaning and fuel treatments I wonder if fuel pressure is holding me below 50mpg?? Only other maint I am thinking is cleaning the CAT if I read a good way to do that.

Thanks for any help!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it makes you feel any better, I get about 42mpg on my 2010 in Southern California since day 1

Montgomery and ReadyToRoll like this.
  3. likearaptor

likearaptor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the winter here I get low 40s and in the summer maybe around 45. Depends on how you drive. When I go 85 I only get 39 mpg bit then again any other car wouldn't be getting in the 30s at that speed normally, so I'm happy with it. I think anywhere in the 40s is good. If it was always in the 30s I'd do some checking

SM-G991U ?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our 2010 (Canadian) Touring has the 17" rims, like your V, which impose a mpg penalty.

My current lifetime average is 47 mpg (5.0 liters/100 km). Latest tank is showing 46 mpg (5.1 liters/100 km). Calculated is more'n likely around 43~44. Time of year, trip length, terrain, everything makes a difference.

Screen grab from Fuelly.com, and this is mostly levels with 15" (easier rolling) wheels:

upload_2022-4-18_9-18-19.png

Attached will hopefully help with your fuel pressure check, but yeah, not sure it's worth pursuing:

Attached Files:

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This car doesn't have a sensor to read fuel pressure. Any OBD2 adapter, app, or scantool can only report data sent over the network from a ecu. No fuel pressure sensor, no fuel pressure data.

Besides, if someone who understands how engine controls work could look at fuel trims then they could determine if fuel pressure was causing any problem. I might expect to see fuel trim codes or driveability problems before it affected MPG.

Things that reduce MPG: driving habits, tire choice and inflation, suspension condition and alignment, ICE condition (intake or exhaust restrictions, compression, valve or ignition timing, injector faults) , powertrain function (trans- hybrid drive), body aero , etc.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As mr_guy_mann said, there isn't a built-in fuel pressure sensor, so there's no chance of just asking the car about the pressure. The car can be asked about other things that may suggest whether mixture is or isn't a problem.

If it becomes a matter of reading the fuel pressure, that has to be done by plumbing a pressure gauge into the system. Even at a dealership they'll just unhook the hose at the firewall and MacGyver something up with a tee and fittings. They have part numbers if you want to do the same 'official' MacGyverage that they would.

[​IMG]

7. ReadyToRoll

ReadyToRoll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for all the replies, I will quit thinking about fuel pressure then. I agree, not worth the effort.
    Sounds like I should be happy with 45 from other posts, I will try and not pay attention to the 50+ posts!

Montgomery and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah those 17" porkers take a toll. :unsure:

9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's a Prius V... That's slightly better than normal MPG for that car. There's nothing wrong with your fuel pressure, they're rarely a problem in modern cars. If you want to boost MPG further gradually boost your tire pressure up into 40's until you notice slightly less traction on roads you drive most often and then back it off a couple PSI for safety's sake.

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    47 on our Persona w 17 50 series . Pretty much all time wife driving . So stepping on it leaving lights

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe we better clarify. In 2010 the Prius levels were I through V (Roman numerals), in the States. OP’s avatar says 2010 model year too.

12. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good point... Was going to fast when I made that conclusion.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Low to mid 40's is the norm for higher mileage Gen II's. And as already noted, a lot of it depends on the time of year, grade of gasoline, long distance driving versus short and rim size. The Gen 4's really took a leap in mpg.