1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Gen III MPG vs my old 2007 touring

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bandito, Jul 21, 2010.

1. bandito

bandito New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok so I have driven the car this entire week 40 miles to work and 40 miles home M-T so far. I bought the car Saturday so 5 days I have owned it. I get in and drive to work the MPG shows 19 MPG are you kidding me???? First tank of gas from the dealer still. Will fill up on the way home. I will watch it next week to see if it gets better. Maybe the dash MPG is wrong? I am ticked off, I didn't want a new Prius anyway wish I could have kept my 2007, UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It isn't even hot here today, it is overcast and 89 this morning outside so I don't even have the heat to blame. I do not travel any hills either pretty flat highway in the HOV lane too. I have been using the cruise control to help with MPG's. I hardly accelerate hard to save MPG's.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    40 miles times 2 a day times 5 days is 400 miles this week. If you were really getting 19 MPG, you would have used 21 gallons, but you have not filled up yet.

Is all that true? If so, given a 11 gallon tank, you MUST be really getting at least 36 MPG.

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you reset the trip to zeros at purchase? The dealers let them idle before test drives to warm the ICE and cool the cabin, so any trip data prior to your purchase would be abysmal. Otherwise, something is wacko here. I like Jimbo's analysis. Bet you are getting better than 45.

4. bandito

bandito New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks ksstathead & JimboPalmer! I reset the trip just now after I filled up and it says 25 MPG. So I will drive it the next week to see what I get. Sure miss my 57 MPG's this is costing me money.

5. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry but I am unclear what you mean. You reset Trip A and it showed 25 mpg before you took off?

What was the result of dividing the miles you drove by the gallons you added?

Get the car warm, reset Trip B, and see what you get at a steady 60 mph. It should be in the mid 50s mpg or a little better.

6. bandito

bandito New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok I did that and I am at 49MPG. Thanks! I think I am on my way now back to the 50's MPG!

7. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I generally averaged 55-57 in my 2005 Gen II and, other than the initial tank, have not been been below 60 mpg in Gen III.