1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Heatshields Available in PriusChat Shop!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Danny, Jun 2, 2009.

1. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I received my headshield several days earlier than expected. As others report, the fit is very good. However, the picture is inaccurate. There are no side "wings" to cover the small "visor" windows.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's for the Gen 2. (Danny did say on the page that the picture is not representative). It was like a version 1.2 for the Gen 2 heatshield. Mine's 1.1 without the wings.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure how they measure - width is turning out to be perfect - height is still the issue probably due to how the windshield mates w/ the dash. I'm also not certain if the headliner is the same on moonroof vs. non-moonroof versions, which could explain a difference.

4. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like software... v1.2 vs. 1.1 :p

In any case, until a new picture is posted, people reading this thread will be alerted that the Gen 3 version does not have the wings.

5. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm using mine from my 2006. It fits very well.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. synapse

synapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is it believed that the manufacturer will adjust the height for the 2010 models (or perhaps they already did?), meaning I should wait a little while before purchasing?

8. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :D I'm using the one for my '07 and it fits fine? It looks like from Danny's pictures that the Gen3 one has no wings for the little portholes....is this correct?

If the Gen2 fits, why not order and use that one as you get the wings?

Lee:cool:

9. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So does the GenII heatshield provide a better fit??? I ordered a bunch to give out to customers and have been waiting two weeks already. Maybe I should just buy the Gen II size huh?

10. bstork

bstork Junior Member

Model:
    II
  11. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It rolls up on the vertical axis, has a velcro strap attached. After a week or so in hot weather it will begin to roll a little easier and tighter, after a couple months it's much easier. I store mine crosswise on the rear floor. Good fit, nicely made (by Canvas Works, but cheaper).

12. victorspencer5

victorspencer5 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    IV
    I won it in a PriusChat anniversary give away - just for being a member

13. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Generation III

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Danny,

I live in the Tampa Bay area - purchased a HeatShield two months ago .... for the windshield / dash area > awesome performance. It works beyond my expectations - I'd recommend to for anyone who live in the sunbelt.

Mr. Bill:rockon:

14. paulemus

paulemus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a tent loft overhead where I stash my twirled-up heatshield.

15. abqpete

abqpete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just received my unit and it has side wings. Right now it does not fit particularly well. In fact it does not look like the 2010 pictured. Instead it looks like the 2004-2009 version (based on pictures at Canvasworks.com).

Can someone verify that the 2010 version does NOT have side wings?

Thanks and regards, Peter

16. abqpete

abqpete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I called Canvasworks today. They informed me that I have the latest version of the heatshield and that it now has the "wings". They added this in October. So the pictures on both websites (priuschat and canvasworks) should be updated to reflect this change. I am surprised that no one mentioned it. I will see if the fit improves over time.

Regards, Peter

17. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There was a thread which mentioned this change, but it was in the Gen III forums, not in this thread itself.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ont-heatshield-now-has-side-window-flaps.html

You could ask Danny if you were to take a pic which shows the new unit installed in your vehicle if he would use it to show the newer version in the shop. Not saying he will but worth a shot. :)

18. practica

practica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fairly stiff and the attached velcro strap is not long enough when rolled up quickly -- springy. A small plastic buckle from hardware and an extension strip of velcro is useful.
    Trick to handling (omitted from instructions) -- grasp the top inside the mirror cutout to fold down the sides to mount and dismount without tugging on the rearview mirror (doing that a lot will eventually pop the mirror off its glue, not the sturdiest tech).
    Does not seem to develop permanent creases from folding -- other side of difficulty rolling up. Same thing vs the folding type -- they won't hold up, crease horizontally and won't stay in place.
    There are thinner custom shades like this easier to handle, such as the 1/8 vs 1/4 from CoverKing. They do not have the side flaps, but roll into a three inch bundle, and have enough velcro strap. But they don't seem to stay as stiff vertically and have tighter mirror cut out making it a bit trickier to install. Choose what feature you dislike the most. Coverking the only source found for the thinner ones, numerous dealers seem to have various makes of thicker ones -- it's a small mfg business, to cut the material from a big chemical company.

There is little substitute for a custom shade with the windshield 34" high -- generic ones go at most to 31", in the split sprung kind, 28" in the folding. Best price here while it lasts.

19. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

20. torr310

torr310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Awww... It's $2 more now! Does anyone know any alternative good fit for cheaper? Thanks!