1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 - Help! Disabling Reverse Beep

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by sherryp, May 30, 2009.

1. dMf

dMf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Braille on the shifter and other critical controls would be a great second step.

Koach likes this.
  2. dMf

dMf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If they charged you $71.00 for a 5,000 mile service (oil change) then you really didn't get anything for free.

3. Jack Walther

Jack Walther New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

This is exactly what happened to me! He tested it backing up with the door open. We both assumed that meant the single beep meant single just-as-annoying-if-not-worse beep so I had him change it back to what it was before.

Arrrggghhh!!! At least though now I know there's still hope.

4. priusbee

priusbee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just a few days ago, someone here in Saratoga, California was backing up on his driveway and ran over a small toddler, which he did not see. The toddler was killed.

The beep is there was a purpose.

5. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius beep is only audible inside the cabin. It can't be heard outside, so it serves no real purpose except annoying the driver. This is where the backup camera helps. If you don't have a camera (like me). then use the old-fashioned method of physically walking back and looking.

6. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's just there to tell the driver it is in reverse, just so you don't think it's in drive and you are in reverse instead. Not really needed I don't think. :)

7. c64rbr

c64rbr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you ron5710. Your detailed steps worked pretty good. I used ELM327 from eBay. The only thing that didn't work is "AT SH 07C0", where I got "?" response. I did "AT SH 7c0" instead and it went thru. Thanks again.

8. Texas-Prius

Texas-Prius One more Prius to fight terrorism

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To be once to let me know I just put it in reverse is one thing. But to continue to beep as I am also moving in reverse? Now they are just calling me stupid. Anyone who needs constant beeping to let them know they are also moving in reverse shouldn't be behind the wheel even in Drive mode.

- TP

9. greekchampion04

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    dumb question, and im sure i can find it if i search a little deeper but im hoping somebody can help a newb out... where is the port on the prius to use the program?

2010 Prius II

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The ODBII port is just under the dash below steering wheel and above the brake pedal.

greekchampion04 likes this.
  11. greekchampion04

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thank you.. gonna scope it out tomorrow. i have only had the car for one day so i am still sheepish about doing anything!

12. Andrax

Andrax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes indeed, this did the trick. Huge thanks to JerryLoz for the super easy utility. Now the only thing left to figure out is how to fix the handle door unlock to be for the entire car on the drivers side.

13. greekchampion04

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    while standing outside the car

1.) push and hold lock button on keyfob
    2.) while still holding the lock button, push and hold the panic button
    3.) your prius will beep at you
    4.) release both buttons and lock your car
    4.) try it out!

ReDave and DigitalDervish like this.
  14. Andrax

Andrax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the suggestion, is that to modify how the fob handles unlocking the car, or how the car handles the unlock when you grab the handle on the drivers side? I'm trying to adjust the unlock when you grab the driver door to unlock the whole car.

15. Texas-Prius

Texas-Prius One more Prius to fight terrorism

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought the ElmScan 5 Compact and used JerryLoz's program to disable the beeps. Thanks Jerry! On a side note, I installed the OBDwiz software and poked around. From what I can see, it looks to provide information about what is going on, but I didn't see a place where I could change anything. I know there are other software programs you can install that works with the ElmScan 5 Compact. My question is, do any of them provide a user friendly interface to let you change all programmable options?

- TP

16. mad4sax

mad4sax New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Picked up my 2012 Prius tonight. Told my dealer as part of the prep I wanted the constant beep turned off. He didn't know it could be done. The mechanic did because it is off. When showing me the car he put it in reverse it beeped once. He was so excited. He drives a Prius and is going to have them do it for his car tomorrow. I was happy to help. :)

17. mad4sax

mad4sax New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It select the mode the door handle will unlock. I just set mine that way to unlock all doors from the drivers door.

I emailed my dealer the directions on how to do it. He said it couldn't be set that way. :-D

18. greekchampion04

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i described how to change the behavior of the car when you grab the drivers door, so this should work for you... let me know how it works! it worked for me on my 2010 prius ii

19. Andrax

Andrax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Fantastical! Works perfect. So for $25 for the tool and with a little help from the forum I've gotten the 3 most annoying issues with the car addressed in just a few minutes!

Does repeating the procedure with the fob put it back to the way it was? Can't imagine I would ever want it to go back but nice to know my options. :)

20. MiMitten

MiMitten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does repeating the procedure with the fob put it back to the way it was?

Yes it does!