1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Honda Insight Photos and Video

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by joe1347, Jan 11, 2009.

1. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2010 Honda Insight Link on vtec.net

Photos as well as video of the poor man's Prius in the link.

[​IMG]

2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "a new generation of Honda’s IMA hybrid system - The Insight’s IMA system has the capability to operate exclusively on electric power in certain low- to mid-speed driving conditions. It also provides for cylinder deactivation within the gasoline engine during deceleration and for engine shutoff when the vehicle is stopped."

"a U.S. EPA city/highway fuel-economy rating of 40/43 miles per gallon."

"the Insight will feature new interactive Eco Assist™:
    -an innovative speedometer display with changing background colors to provide real-time guidance to the driver on achieving higher fuel efficiency." That's cool.

"at Honda dealers throughout the United States in the beginning of April 2009"

I do have to say that the exterior styling is a huge disappointment compared to the prototype (which I saw in person). The prototype looked great; the production version looks "nothing special" from some angles and great from other angles. I guess I'll have to see it in person.
    Here's a better-looking image of it:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I do like the exterior but I'm sorry, that interior (especially the dashboard) does nothing for me.

4. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I like the interior layout. The styling could be a bit better but ergonomically it should be good. I especially like that all of the information is in front of the driver. The HVAC controls are interesting and should allow for easy operation by touch. Still no price though.

The EPA mileage is disappointing but the first review is encouraging. Automobile has a review on their website: 2010 Honda Insight - Fuel Efficient News, Hybrid Cars and Reviews - Automobile Magazine

"Honda expects that the EPA will officially rate the Insight at 40 mpg city, 43 mpg highway, or 41 mpg combined. But our drives indicated that it's relatively easy to exceed those figures. During a 52-mile drive on mostly two-lane roads in Arizona, over varying desert terrain, and with the Econ mode on, the 2010 Honda Insight achieved an indicated 56.5 mpg. At times, I saw an average as high as 61 mpg. The entire morning's drive, with two different drivers behind the wheel of our Insight, gave us 49.3 mpg over 99 miles."

"Later, on a 16.1-mile loop that Honda set up to maximize mileage, I achieved 59.2 mpg, but I discovered 4 miles into the drive that I had the CVT transmission in Sport mode, which would lessen efficiency. Some of my colleagues achieved figures in the mid to high 60s over the same route."

They also said that it "drives like a Honda" with good handling

"I drove the Insight at 60 to 80 mph on a mildly challenging, two-lane road in the Tonto National Forest outside Scottsdale, and its chassis, brakes, and steering were up to the exercise. Although it's certainly no sports car, it did not feel like a soggy mess"

5. 4G63

4G63 I quit boosting

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i think the new insight will be a nicely built hybrid packed with features. it's built by honda and it's far from a "poor man's prius". the prius is facing some serious competition this time. if the price is accurate ($22.5k for a EX-Navi), it makes me think my prius and HCH were way overpriced..

6. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    link to wired article on the 2010 Honda Insight.

7. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Pretty good Prius copy on the exterior. The interior could use some refinement. Competition is good.

8. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Any here is the best part of that review:
    "The irony is the Insight is the first hybrid with the driving dynamics that might encourage you to ignore your inner environmentalist and just have fun. While we didn't drag race a Prius, our seat-of-the-pants impression is the Insight has snappier acceleration, not to mention more responsive steering, better brakes and superior handling. The fully loaded EX version even offers shift paddles mounted on the steering wheel. The Insight isn't as sporty as, say, a Civic Si, but it's by no means a dull car."

The ABG review says the Insight is built on a modified Fit platform and shares suspension components. If that is the case, the Insight will be the first hybrid with an active tuner base for chassis parts.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good. Interior has a sportiness that will appeal to many. Looks like they got the seats right from the start.

I predict this model will sell very well.

10. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think it will sell but I am unimpressed. In the rumors we were talking slightly better then 2004 Prius figures, now we are talking worse yet its smaller then a 2004 Prius. They have not improved the performance of IMA since the last verson of it. I was expecting something <maybe 20hp IMA> or some other technology to help the MPG. It was at the top of my list last week, now its not.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure why an already efficient i-VTEC 4 cylinder engine that can deactivate two cylinders would not have the best highway MPG period, let alone easily beating the Prius. I do realize the latest EPA testing is tailored to idiot-mode, but I'm still surprised.

Color me disappointed for now; time will tell if price and performance in mpg minded drivers tells a different story. Mind, I think it is a good car, just not great; and less than my expectations. I think it's sales will be even more tightly integrated with fuel pump costs than the Prius.

12. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Am I the only one who thinks it looks like a retarded sperm whale?

13. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can only be disappointed with reality if you believe the rumors. Quite a few people here are expecting the 3G Prius to be EPA rated at 60 mpg. We will see if they are disappointed as well.

I don't know if I would rule the Insight out so quickly. First it turns out not be much smaller than the 2004 Prius. The Insight is built on the Fit chassis. It as the same width, 3.8 inches shorter in height but has a 2 inch longer wheelbase. The Fit is only 0.9% smaller than the Prius in interior volume. (111 vs 112 cu ft)

--------------------- 2G Insight -------- 2G Prius
    Length --------------- 172.3 ------------ 175.0
    Width ----------------- 66.7 ------------- 67.9
    Height ---------------- 56.2 ------------- 58.7
    Wheelbase ---------- 100.4 ------------ 106.3
    Front Legroom ------- 42.3 ------------- 41.9
    Rear Legroom -------- 33.5 ------------ 38.6
    Front Headroom ------ 38.4 ------------ 39.1
    Rear Headroom ------ 35.9 ------------ 37.3
    Cargo Capacity ------- 15.9 ------------ 14.4
    Weight --------------- 2734 ------------ 2932

Looking at the specs the Insight has more front legroom and more cargo area. The Prius has much roomier backseat. It really depends on if you need seating space or cargo space.

I'm also not very concerned about the EPA fuel economy rating. If automotive journalists can do 19% better that the EPA in mixed driving and in the 60's in a fuel economy challenge I would say that it will be very easy to beat the EPA in the Insight.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  15. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That is a different story but yes, the articles I read are from the Insight launch in Arizona.

Edit: It is interesting to me that a bunch of journalists can average 65 mpg buy following the recommendation of Honda's Eco Guide. I take that to mean it would work well for the average Joe since journalists are known for getting astonishing low MPG.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Emissions Rating: AT-PZEV/ULEV

Why not SULEV in non-CARB states?

17. davidsf

davidsf Junior Member

Anyone know if the 2010 Insight seats 4 or 5, i.e. doees it have 4 or 5 seat belts?

18. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
    Looks like the Honda Marketing Dept ordered the designers to make a close copy of the Prius, 'cause that damn thing sells!
    ---Genalex

19. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "...I don't know if I would rule the Insight out so quickly. First it turns out not be much smaller than the 2004 Prius. The Insight is built on the Fit chassis. It as the same width, 3.8 inches shorter in height but has a 2 inch longer wheelbase. The Fit is only 0.9% smaller than the Prius in interior volume. (111 vs 112 cu ft)

--------------------- 2G Insight -------- 2G Prius
    Length --------------- 172.3 ------------ 175.0
    Width ----------------- 66.7 ------------- 67.9
    Height ---------------- 56.2 ------------- 58.7
    Wheelbase ---------- 100.4 ------------ 106.3
    Front Legroom ------- 42.3 ------------- 41.9
    Rear Legroom -------- 33.5 ------------ 38.6
    Front Headroom ------ 38.4 ------------ 39.1
    Rear Headroom ------ 35.9 ------------ 37.3
    Cargo Capacity ------- 15.9 ------------ 14.4
    Weight --------------- 2734 ------------ 2932..."

Looking at the specs the Insight has more front legroom and more cargo area. The Prius has much roomier backseat. It really depends on if you need seating space or cargo space...."

Things important to us old-timers:

6" more wheelbase is a big contribution to ride quality.

That extra 5" of Prius rear legroom is a luxury you don't find in many larger cars. The trade-off for 1.5 cu ft of cargo space only buys about 2 grocery bags.

The tricky drive options, (EV mod, cylinder turn-off) don't appear to buy anything in fuel efficiency and are potential reliability/maintenance problems. And with it all, they are not beating Prius mpg with a car that weighs 200 lb. less.

I'm unimpressed.