1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Honda Insight spy photos

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Jul 16, 2008.

1. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: Close-up pics of the new Honda Hybrid

OH,, Thanks for answering that, I had a feeling it was for some reason like that.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sdtundra, the interior pic that was posted was a picture of an existing Honda - it was being used for reference to compare it to the very little of the interior that you can see in one of the spy pictures.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Overall, this looks exactly as I had anticipated. Basically a cross between a Fit and a FCX. If you look closely, you can see that they've added a lot of tape/padding to certain parts of the car to keep certain design aspects of it from being identifiable. It looks like the rear quarterpanel, for example, has a sharp Fit-like line to it.

I see they tossed in the HCH side mirror lamps.

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree that the overall profile looks similar to Prius. If you were given the same task and spec before you enter the wind tunnel, you would probably have come out with the same shape anyway. That is a compliment to Toyota team from Honda.
    You can't really say this is a clone. The front is completely Honda (if you have seen many JDM Hondas you would have known). The rear obviously has completely different shapes of tail lights, etc. The crease on the side. The signal mirrors. Besides, the interior is complete related to Civic as well. On top of that, the wheels are much better than the ones on mine!!!

Let us reserve our harsh judgement till the final vehicle come out.
    Competition is always good for us unless you enjoy paying over MSRP for vehicle, which I don't.

5. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Also non-Prius is the roofline... this car doesn't have the signature Prius 'indent' that prevents air overspill to the sides and cuts down turbulence.

6. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes it is!

7. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm not sure why all of you are saying that Honda has copied the shape of the Prius. It's not like the Prius is an original shape. It may be new to the US, but if you look at European MPV's you'll see a dozen Prius shape cars. Some off the top of my head:

Ford S-Max
    Ford C-Mas
    Audi A2
    VW Golf Plus
    Mercedes B-Class
    Citroen C4
    Etc, Etc, Etc..

I am disappointed the Honda's SMALL global hybrid is as big as a Prius. To me a Prius is a large car. I was hoping for something Fit sized or a little smaller.

8. JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt Señior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

This was posted in the parallel thread, but the alloy wheels on the black vehicle are identical to the 2009 FIT wheels. Look at the design of the 2009 FIT. Honda is moving a new direction with styling on these vehicles. I'm not saying the black car is a FIT, only a Honda.

9. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Wow, most puzzling. I agree, it sure does look like a Prius. But the shape of the badges is wrong, but that could just be subterfuge. However, the fact that it is also paired with what is clearly, in this pic ( Spy Shots: Honda Hybrid - Autoblog ), a taped up Civic (hybrid, I assume?) seems to suggest that it is indeed a Honda. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery my nice person... Harumph.

10. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Gold Standard?

11. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "As sales pick up and Honda gets better at making hybrids, the company expects to reduce costs sharply. R&D boss Kato says he can bring the price differential between a hybrid and an equivalent gasoline-only car below $2,000. While not as powerful as Toyota's hybrid technology, the Honda system is lighter and less complex, so its new models may offer better gas mileage. Honda hasn't disclosed pricing, but the compact hybrid due next year could retail for around $18,000-$3,000 less than a Prius, reckons Tatsuo Yoshida, an analyst at UBS (UBS) in Tokyo. He adds that while selling 500,000 hybrids a year will be a challenge, the new cars could also help Honda steal some of the green limelight back from Toyota. "Publicity-wise, the new hybrids are very good news for Honda," he says."
    Businessweek: Honda Goes Whole Hog for Hybrids

12. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One of the greatest things about the Prius is its size. Why in the world would you make something smaller when you didn't have to? :confused:

13. pegasusat

pegasusat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, it isn't when the Honda people had a commercial making fun of the Prius' "cheese-looking" shape.

14. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That would be my guess. Probably a rental from LA :D Test it directly against the best in the business to make sure you are better. Of course the gold standard is also getting better next fall.

Rob

15. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure Honda poked fun at the Prius when they didn't have one ... (& I hope Honda has purchased many Prii tested them, disassembled them analyzed them and everything else or should the people @ pepsi not go near coca-cola) ?

16. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm sure they have. Heck the US Gov actually did the work for the US automakers. Lot of good it did though :rolleyes:

Information Bridge: DOE Scientific and Technical Information - Sponsored by OSTI
    http://www.ornl.gov/~webworks/cppr/y2001/rpt/120761.pdf

Approximate Series of Events:
    1. US Gov gives US Automakers ~$1.25B in taxpayer dollars to develop hybrids.
    2. US Automakers build hybrid test vehicles, decide they are too expensive, too complicated, and no one would want one anyway.
    3. Toyota releases Prius.
    4. US Gov takes apart Prius, shows US automakers here's how they did it (dumbasses).
    5. US Automakers invest heavily in SUVs and muscle cars.
    6. Gas goes up 3-4X
    7. Toyota worlds largest and most profitable automaker
    8. US Automakers bleeding money, facing bankrupcy, decide to start working on hybrids

Nice work guys.

Rob

17. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BTW looking forward to the competition from Honda. They should be able to give Toyota much more of a run for their money than anything coming down the pipe from GM, VW etc. I think most would agree Toyota has been getting a little fat and lazy milking the Prius. Hopefully for their sakes they have some great stuff up their sleaves (compact hybrid, econo-luxury hybrid, hybrid van/crossover etc) to stay out in front.

Competition is pretty much always a good thing.

Rob

18. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    When did the original Honda Insight come out? What was it's life expectency?

I still see a few around town but not many.

19. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's when Toyota will have a commercial, showing the pics that we are looking at right now, where Honda uses the Prius as their benchmark. Then, in the commericial, Toyota will unveil the 2010 Prius and say "Haaaa!!!! Gotcha!!!" :D

Thanks for the list of info on the American manufacturers. Once Honda comes out with their hybrid and Toyota and Honda start battling it out, it's going to be scary to see what happens to GM and Ford. :( They need to stop goofing around and start COMPETING for SURVIVAL!
    When it comes to Lexus, I think an IS300 Hybrid would be a HUGE hit. I see IS250 and 350s everywhere here in SoCal.

Honda Insight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia You know, I was wondering myself about the batteries. Anyone know? I saw an Insight just yesterday - it had a fresh coat of wax on it and looked like it did back when it was new. :)

20. SVPriusFan

SVPriusFan Hymotioned and loving it...

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You know, after looking at all these pictures I think I've figured it out - Toyota and Honda have joined forces to create the Toyonda Prinsight!:D:D

But seriously, if this is Honda's answer to the Prius I say bring it on! Maybe this will be what the other car makers [US Automakers] need to get their butts in gear and start producing cars people want. Competition is always a good thing :rolleyes: