1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 horn replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by hansgrason1, Aug 31, 2009.

1. blake918

blake918 Blizzard Brigade #23

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the link Downrange! The meep-meep horns in my Prius were replaced the first week I had the car! The Freeway blasters sound great, and they're a real steal for $21 shipped at Ryder. Thanks!

My panic alarm...
    [ame="http://s520.photobucket.com/albums/w322/bchata1/?action=view&current=IMG_0684.mp4"]IMG_0684.mp4 video by bchata1 - Photobucket[/ame]

2. geeter

geeter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried to plug a Toyota truck horn into the Prius? I asked a parts guy about it yesterday and he looked at me like I was crazy.

For those of you that used the Fiamm, was it a pretty simple install? I was thinking of buying the El Grande. I again nearly got struck last night and my horn did not seem to alert the other driver. When you drive 70 miles a day, these things are important.

3. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Fiamms are a simple install - but not much room to work. While it wasn't completely necessary (and since I had done it before), I removed the front bumper to do mine - much easier. But it certainly can be (and has been) done without the bumper removal.

4. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I didn't remove the bumper. It's a little difficult getting your hands into the area to remove the old horns and install the new ones, but the grille flexes enough to provide clearance. One of the leads was a little short, so I used some spare wire to create a longer one, which wasn't a problem. Pretty much plug and play (or honk). Don't drop your wrench, otherwise you'll be unfastening a few of the retainers on the bottom shield to fish it out.

5. geeter

geeter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks jayvee and LeeB for the info. I was travelling this weekend and once again thought about how nice a louder horn would be.

6. dopey423

dopey423 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    saw this thread 3 days ago and replaced the prius horns with the fiamm freeway blasters, high and low. what a difference it made and now i can honk at people knowing they will actually hear me

thanks to downrange for the recommendations. purchased the horns from amazon.com instead. 60 or 80 cents more than from the other website, but i had prime 2 day shipping and easy returns in case it doesnt work....

5 stars on the ease of install and oem replacement

7. Oakmont

Oakmont New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The stock horn is plenty loud. I think some people just have big car envy...

8. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe I have missed the responses, but checkout Griotsgarage.com for a great selection of LOUD horns, I have installed them on my Gen 3 in less than an hour, install in same spot as original, and you CAN get the old Chevy sound! I have had them in my last 3 cars, and highly recommend.

9. bobfox

bobfox new to Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you need any other wiring or brackets?

10. RedBackFur

RedBackFur Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've posted this months ago, but reiterate here. I purchased a Stebel STEBEL S.p.A. - horns
    on Ebay. I had the local Car Stereo Installer place put it on my IV, (It is attached to the bracket behind the Toyota Logo -- sed to hold the radar in the V). My Prius now honks like a Fiat. The installers charged $60, and this included wiring in the horn relay, so if I ever want the old horns back, they just need to be plugged in.

And yes, for a warning "toot" in parking lots, the air horn is great, since it is subtle for the first fraction of a second.

11. unkprius

unkprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a Ferrari (at least that's what the package said) air horn mounted on my old Mazda Cosmo way back when, and I just left the stock horn connected also. That way for the 1/2 second or so the compressor needed to spool up one could toot the stock horn without any air horn intervention. After that the stock horn disappeared in the ensuing blare of the air.

12. BtotheG

BtotheG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I really and desperately wanted to do this mod. I drove to Vegas recently and used my horn several times - incredibly week. So, I purchased the High and Low toned horns from Amazon. I washed my car today and got ready to install the horns when I noticed the Low Tone horn did not have a bracket for the grounding wire. Please check out the pic (hoping that it attaches). Before I return it, I wanted to find out if there is a way to work around this?

I'm seeking any advice I get before I return it and I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this board. I was soooooooo looking forward to not having a horn that can be mistaken for a background singer on the radio (a passenger in my car really thought that).....

13. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    BtotheG, try posting photo again since it didn't come through. Are you saying the low horn doesn't have a grounding terminal? If I recall, both of my Fiam horns had 2 terminals and are nearly identical in appearance.

14. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some horns ground via the mounting bolt/screw.

15. BtotheG

BtotheG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok, here's a shot at attaching the picture....

Attached Files:

16. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, the male spade terminal is missing. Both horns should have two male spades. Is the post threaded? If so, you could secure the grounding wire with a nut if you have one that will fit the post. Otherwise, I don't have an easy solution for making the connection. You could try it without the ground wire to see if it will work on the off-chance that it's internally grounded as Wesayso suggested, but given that it has a separate ground terminal, I don't think it will work. Bummer. Maybe someone can suggest a fix other than returning it.

17. BtotheG

BtotheG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nope, it's not threaded. So lame. I guess it's going back to Amazon this weekend if there aren't any other alternatives....

18. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Use an ohmmeter to determine which terminal is common to the metal body of the horn. If it's the broken one, just mount the horn to car and plug 12 volt wire on the other terminal. Or you can just solder a wire to the broken side.

19. BtotheG

BtotheG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok, I exchanged the horn for a new one and started to install it. I have a V with ATP and I couldn't fit my hands and arms in there to install them. Has anyone installed these horns with the AT Package? Any tips? I think I'll have to take the bumper off.... I don't really want to but I don't see any way around it.

20. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    'Doesn't look as though removing the bumper would be overly difficult... it helps to remove the hood latch safety bracket... two 10mm bolts...

However, I'm presently headed out to purchase a stubby Phillips to remove the bowsprit/emblem.

P.S. Before heading out I'm first gonna' replace the hood safety bracket. :)