1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 II,III,IV,V options ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by xgrad, Dec 27, 2010.

1. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I suppose you could just look at everyone's forum ID and tell what packages they have; of course, that won't tell you why.

I suspect that many people have the package they do because that's all the dealer had available either in the color or time of year the purchase was made. This was the case for me.

I have a III because that was the particular package on the car I felt was the best value for what I spent.

Happy Motoring,

2. amorris

amorris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Good thread. We got the III for these reasons: (1) it is Barcelona red; my wife had to have a red car (2) it has the moonroof; my wife has to have a moonroof (the solar is a great addition), and it had nav; we both like Toyota's nav. Leather seats are nice, but we are just as happy with fabric, so no need for a IV. We do miss power seats -- are they on any Prius? Last reason for the III - it was the only Prius on the lot (52 Prii total) that met our wants this closely.

3. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nope. I wish that i had power driver's seat with memory, esp. given the asking price.

1 person likes this.
  4. amtrak115

amtrak115 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We started out looking at the V. Test drove a couple, but i couldn't justify the addtional expense for the "backup" feature...(Cute, but we didn't think it was worth the money. The Radar Cruise Control was nice and the Lane Keep Assist was a bonus but my wife and I were not suitably impressed to justify the additional $$'s. So we looked at IV's. I think we looked at 5/6 cars in 3 different states (VA, TX, & LA). While in Texas over xmas, checked the dealers web site for the dealership in Manassas, VA and they had 2 identical IV's, only difference was color. one was Silver, the other was the Sand color. "SILVA" was listed at 24,760 and the other one was around 30K. Talking to the Dealer, they said "SILVA" had been on the lot a while and they (the dealer) was going to have to start paying interest on it if they didn't move it. So they lowered the price. I Bought it over the phone from Texas and said I'll be there on Monday the 3 Jan to pick it up. Done Deal. "SILVA" is at the shop right now getting the VentureShield Treatment. (Entire front end, a stip up the A post, a Strip across the top of the windshield and a strip across the top of the rear bumper) My wife didn't really like the Silver color but she said today she likes the way the 2010 IV's look in Silver better than the 2006 model.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings and Welcome Aboard!! :welcome:

The package you buy will depend on whether or not you want (or can afford) a $35K Prius, or a $22K Prius.

One thing I will add, and I just looked this up in Kelly Blue Book. There's only a $3K difference in trade-in value between a loaded out 2010 Prius, and the garden variety base model (II), despite a 13K delta in the purchase price.
    Take that for what it's worth. If you get into an accident, fire, flooding, theft, alien abduction, etc... with a loaded out 'V' the insurance company is (almost always) only going to compensate you for the ACV (actual cash value) of the car.
    Yeah, it sux...but that's life.

Good Luck!!!

6. gd540

gd540 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As I've mentioned elsewhere here, I bought a 2010 Prius II in December '09. I've been kicking myself ever since for not getting a IV or V. So listen to my voice of experience: If you're going to buy a Prius then buy as much Prius as you can.

7. dplatnyc

dplatnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a winter grey III w/NAV. It's the first NAV I have had, so I really have no point of comparison, but I find it a pleasure and I like the bluetooth. I loved the ATP options, but did not want 17" rims on a car like this. Now that it's winter, though, I wish I had gotten the leather heated seats. Because the car has electric heat, it's not very warm and I drive a lot in cold-midstate-New York. Still, I am happy with the car. I combed Prius chat for the winter driving recommendations and got the Michelin Ice X2s and they work pretty well so far. It's not my old full-time 4WD 2001 RAV4, but the mileage is more than twice as good and the prius is really much easier to drive and offers a better interior experience--quieter and more comfortable.

I wish the iPod integration was better, the rear camera gave a better perspective and that the glove compartment had a better latte maker built-in, since we Prius drivers all drink latte. Joke--I like my coffee black.

8. Bob259

Bob259 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    LED Vs HID's

Anyone with the V with LEDs care to comment on the light output of the LED's compaired to the HID's and is it a 'white' light like with HID's?

Also, disappointed that you don't get the solor roof on the V, my wife has the IV with the solor roof and LOVES it.

I have an 08 Highlander Hybrid but would love to get the mileage she is getting so maybe the new Prius wagon that is getting announced tomorrow will fit my needs.

9. Ninjawife

Ninjawife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought a blue III w/nav/solar/moonroof.
    My first brand new car I have ever owned. I test drove a II just to actually focus on how the car drove and then later at home researching was interested in the features and options of a III. I enjoy the technology of my III.
    I really thought LKA/leather/17 inch wheels were not necessary for me.
    The dealer had a good variety so I did not have to settle for anything. Very happy!:)

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Radar Cruise Control incorporates a very interesting collision reaction system: if a front end impact is immenent and unavoidable, the car will do various things, not sure exactly without checking the Owners Manual, but involving auto-application of the brakes, tensioning the seat belts, and so on.

We don't have it, but would have like to: I believe it's in the same league as air bags.

11. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Re: LED Vs HID's

My wife's car is a TSX, which unofficially has one of the best HID headlights. My LEDs work just as well...light pattern is not as intense as her's but the light pattern spread is better with my LEDs. It is white. Love 'em! For me, I have never used sunroofs in my cars...but the solar stuff would be nice here in Texas.

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unless it's not allocated to your region, the V can be gotten without ATP or even with no package (DeanFL here has a V with no package).

While it's true that the II is the best bang for your bucks and depreciates the least, insurance companies will use a more accurate method of determining the ACV and it won't be as drastic as a $3K difference that KBB estimated. That same site also put the 5 year depreciation for a V at $13.8K vs. $8.9K for a II. I have Farmers and they take their appraisals as seriously and thoroughly as home appraisers do and I was surprised (in a good way) how much money I got for a totaled 10-year-old Mustang convertible.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Pre-Collision System on the Prius incorporates the radar and other sensors (such as brake pedal application) to determine whether or not a collision is imminent.

It'll work on several levels. Here are a few that I've found...

1. Collision warning via MID - It'll beep and flash the MID and flash the PCS light if it thinks you're going to run into the object in front of the car. I have had it happen a few times (and in fact it's quite distracting since your first instinct is to look at the flashing MID instead of the road). My scenarios involved me approaching a traffic light that has just turned green and I'm coasting to the car ahead of me. The moment the car ahead starts moving, the radar has now a point of reference (since it ignores stationary objects) and if the car ahead accelerates slowly and I close in to the car ahead, it'll start beeping and flashing. Freaked me out the first time it happened but now I know what it is when it happened on subsequent times (and you don't have to be very close to the car. I was probably doing 10-15km/h).

2. Seatbelt tightening - It occurs as speeds > 60km/h (I've tested) and if you lift off the accelerator quickly and tap the brakes, it senses that you're most likely doing an emergency stop (Based on how quickly you released the accelerator) and will tighten the seatbelts the moment you touch the brakes. It happens very quickly and of all the times it activated (once on purpose for experiment and twice in real life), I've never noticed it until I hear the electric motor releasing the tension of the front seatbelts.

3. Auto-Brake - Never experienced this one and hope to never have to use it in real life. You can see demo videos on PriusChat of other members demonstrating how PCS auto-brake works with cardboard boxes.

1 person likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the information.

Had to laugh: today's Vancouver Province has a Westminster Toyota ad for a technology package Prius with SONAR.

15. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Had three main requirements for my next vehicle (not specifically Prius):

1. White
    2. Nav
    3. Leather

Price didn't matter although tried to get best possible deal.

16. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

V with Nav, no ATP here. The LED headlights are good, comparable to the other factory HID I've had on other cars. The stock halogens were not bright enough for me when I test drove at night. Tough to go back to halogen after having HID.

An undocumented difference between the V and all other models is the springs and shocks. The part numbers are unique for the V. Over the weekend I compared the stiffeness of my V to a II. Pressing on the front bumper I could feel that the V is stiffer and has more damping. Unfortunately the combination of the stiffer suspension and lower profile tires makes the ride rather rough until everything gets warmed up.THe roughness can also cause more interior rattles and squeaks, not uncommon on all of the Gen 3 models. It's fantastic over speed bumps though, best car I've owned in that respect, and pretty smooth on the freeway once it gets warmed up. Another plus is better handling and shorter stopping distances. Gas mileage drops around 3 mpg due to increased rolling resistance. I like the looks of the V wheels, stock 15s are just so boring. The lock-to-lock steering ratio is quicker on the V. And it has a brushless steering motor to handle the extra steering load, non-V's use less expensive standard brushed motors. Best to drive the V for an extended time in cold weather over bumpy roads to make sure it's what you want.

17. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that's a little off.
    SONAR is SOund Navigation and Ranging.
    RADAR is RAdio Detection And Ranging.
    Interestingly enough, unless you credit Leonardo DaVinci's "glass jar in the water" experiments, Sonar was invented by a Canadian engineer of all things!!
    Our British cousins get an assist---along with credit for both Radar, and (of course!) the microwave oven, courtesy of a chocolate bar in a lab tech's pocket. :D

Yeah, you could use sound waves, but radio waves work a little better for this application! :cool:

18. TonyWilkey

TonyWilkey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought a II with after market leather(Katzkin). This was significantly cheaper than a getting a IV just for the leather. The II with leather has everything I need/want.

Tony

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol... maybe they meant sonar as in backup sensors? I do not know... car ads are amusing to read...

Actually, I've had a salesperson tell me that the Touring has HIDs!

20. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

:cool:
    When I first wrote about the unique springs and shocks on this forum, I got blasted...glad that someone finally agrees with me! It only makes our V more unique, if not even sportier.