1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Mk III Prius JBL MFD Backlight Failed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Mileswoody, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Mileswoody

Mileswoody New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey there Prius chat,

Hopefully I have posted this in the right place. I’ve got a 2010 Prius with the afformentioned JBL MFD (E7022). The touchscreen buttons all still work but the screen is barely visible. I have turned the brightness all the way up and the contrast all the way down so I can just about see the screen if it’s dark and I shine a torch on it. I have seen a few posts about replacing the touchscreen (digitizer);

How to Replace a Defective Touchscreen (Digitizer) on a 2010 (Gen 3) Toyota Prius | PriusChat

But my problem seems slightly different. On these other posts the touchscreen doesn’t work, whereas in my case it does but the screen isn’t backlit anymore.

I am happy to have a go at replacing the digitizer but before I order any parts and start dismantling the dashboard I wondered if anyone knows if there is a bulb/ led strip or something along those lines that illuminates the screen which can be replaced instead? Or is the light is built in to the digitizer or another part of the unit?

Many thanks,
    Miles

#1 Mileswoody, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does it have selectable day/night modes?

3. Mileswoody

Mileswoody New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It does and it is not on

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    From what I have read, replacements are cheap and installation easy, iirc

Mileswoody likes this.
  5. Mileswoody

Mileswoody New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds great, any idea on where I could read about the backlight or buy one? All I can find is the whole touchscreen or do you think I’ll have to replace that?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry, yes, I meant the whole unit. Don,t recall anyone ever digging into one. Maybe start by disassembling yours first to see if you can figure what is wrong.

Mileswoody likes this.