1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Model disappointing to me

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by johnk1, Jan 12, 2009.

1. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

so what did you expect eco mode to do? turn on fusion reactor? Anything that any kind of eco mode would ever be able to do, will also always be doable in some way in normal mode as well. this is applicable to any car on the market.

2. Zhentar

Zhentar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Between the electric A/C and EGR, I don't think HVAC will have nearly as large an effect on mileage for the 2010.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen 2 is electric A/C, however the compressor has been made more efficient for Gen 3.

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe when you push the button in, it engages the Flux Capaciator:eek:

5. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Good to hear. It will be good to sit in one and yes I can only go by the photos. The speedo on the 2008 is a little to the right of center for the driver which isn't too bad. Hearing it is in the same place on the 2009 is good. I still wish it was centered. I like the vertical position of the display just below the bottom of the windshield - better than traditional gauges which are lower and viewed through the steering wheel. I just wish Toyota would put everything right in front of the driver instead of shifting things to the right. I still don't understand why they are bent on pushing things to the center of the car. There is room to the left!

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Current ergonomic thinking suggests that the middle is better for gauges. Don't ask me why. You see the same trend on many new cars.

Tom

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would save Toyota some money if the same instrument panel layout can be used for both LHD and RHD models - which appears to be the case with Classic.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The computer control of HSD is extraordinarily complex and sophisticated, and certainly involves many compromises involving engine, motor, and battery function. I had hoped that it would be possible for fundamental choices in the programming to provide more or less efficiency, in return for less or more power. The comments by several long-time PC members, that they expected experienced Prius drivers to achieve better FE in eco mode led me to believe that there was something more fundamental to the mode than a simple change in pedal sensitivity.

No, I did not expect eco mode to engage silly sci-fi make-believe gadgets. I did expect it to employ different programming.

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would expect that virtual shift points and transitions vary with economy vs power mode. It would be silly otherwise. I didn't hear anything at PCD to cause me to think otherwise.

I think the confusion comes from what happens when you mash down the accelerator pedal. Once you get to about half pedal, the economy and power profiles converge. Obviously this is done to avoid awkward button pushing while trying to get out of the way of an oncoming truck. If you press hard, you want power. Otherwise the HSD will optimize everything based on your chosen mode: EV, economy, or power.

Tom

10. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Who here will primarily leave it in ECO mode 100% of the time?

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :thumb:

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i dont think eco mode will work at all at freeway speeds.

remember there is still a power indicator (or speedometer of sorts) on the dash that should tell you where you are at as far as what kind of power you are atempting to use. i took it to mean that, like CANVIEW, it gives you feedback on how to best stay in eco mode. with that feedback, its easier to push the mode without leaving it as i sometimes do when i am driving over around 35 mph.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would have thought something of the sort. But according to Toyota's description of features, it does nothing but alter the sensitivity of the pedal. I.e., for a given throttle level, the car behaves the same, but the car interprets a given pedal position as being less throttle in eco mode than in power mode.

Of course, HSD does not have shift points, even virtual ones, since it's all continuous. But it does have engine to wheel ratios, which the PSD can vary continuously under control of the computer. These could perhaps be altered for more or less effeciency vs power. But apparently eco mode does not do this; it merely makes you press harder on the pedal for the same acceleration.

14. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps not, but once your foot learns the curve, switching it around may not be to our benefit, like learning muscle memory 3 times over.

15. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll give it a try, anyway! :p

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    100%? I don't know. Maybe 95% of the time. I'd like to try out the PWR mode once in a while

17. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd try it too, but usually when I want power, I'm not afraid to floor it on occasion, especially w/ a car load of people and the need to scoot after turning into traffic. Just not for the first 500 or so miles ;-)

Knowing that once I pass the 50% mark it makes no difference, I suppose the button settings are almost irrelevant in that use case.

I can see the hyper-milers cringing...

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well I'll still try to beat my old records. That'll be something but I'm not in the same city so there'll be more variables involved.

19. Zhentar

Zhentar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Why should it? It's a Prius, you shouldn't have to press a button to enable the secret high-efficiency mode. I would expect it to be programmed for optimum efficiency no matter what button I push, and power should be a function of the pedal. The power mode button will make the engine feel more responsive & powerful by reacting more to a light press. The eco mode will make it much easier for the non-hypermilers of the world who don't regularly beat EPA ratings to control lower accelerations and keep the engine off when starting from a stop. I also would expect it to make the range for gliding much wider. Perhaps, at the risk of being too optimistic, even without depressing the accelarator at all.

20. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was using the term virtual shift points to explain the concept of the virtual gear ratio curve, which the Prius does have. In fact it does have virtual shift points, since the control is digital, but there are vary many of them and they are very close together. As a human driver you perceive these points as a continuous curve. Technicalities aside, the transfer curve can be altered in a variety of ways, including when the ICE comes in and how hard, and how aggressively battery power is used to supplement the ICE.

Tom