1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 MPG Stats - Post Them Here

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by BH1973, May 27, 2009.

1. shaun6427

shaun6427 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am mostly a freeway driver, getting 48.9 right now. trying to play with it though. like, when to use EV and ECO.

2. ePrius

ePrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With over just a 1000 miles, I'm averaging 47.6 mpg.

3. Surfdolfin

Surfdolfin Surfin the Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Only 329 miles on my new 2010II, but computer has me from 50 to 53.6 MPG on my 3 seperate trips.

Please BE AWARE that your fill-up may NOT be accurate. I used to use a calculator for my prior Santa Fe, and there were a couple of stations that I ALWAYS got less milage from .... because, I'm guessing, I never got FULL gallons. One station here in Newport Beach, CA I told my brother about, and he said the SAME thing happened to him there. He quit going there as well.

Secondly, would need to have a similar filling of the tank to the brim ... 2010 states 11.9 Gallons, but might go more to the cap - say 12.1

I would hope that TOYOTA was correct with their on-board computers, if not, they would be subject to HUGE Doo Doo. Plus, EPA has 51/48, and you can to better if you are conservative and try a little (and don't have BIG hills in the way).

It's a really cool set of wheels!:mod:

4. TonyWilkey

TonyWilkey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Second tank. 32.6MPG Bitter cold, snow. I wish I had some good weather numbers to compare. Still disappointed.:(

BTW the indicated mileage was 5MPG too high.

Tony

5. flbntz

flbntz My First Toyota

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have 1,700 miles on my Prius, and highest milage so far 47.2 on a tankful, according to the car. Actual milage is lower, 40.7mpg on the last tankful, compared to 43.4 the car's screen told me I was getting. It's been cold here, 20's, and 30's during the day. Disappointing. I traded a Mercedes for the gas milage, and a new car warrantee, and this is not as solid, or satisfying to drive, plus the milage isn't as advertised, or posted on the car's computer screen. I still like it, but...

6. flbntz

flbntz My First Toyota

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If I get the money, I'll buy another Mercedes.

7. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did you keep track of your gas mileage on the Mercedes?

I think the high expectations for the Prius can cause undue disappointment. Prior to my previous Prius, I had an Infiniti. I did rough mental calculations of the mileage whenever I filled up and believe I got around 23mpg overall. I felt that was actually pretty good compared to other cars of its size.

When I got my 2006 Prius I started keeping track of the mileage on a spreadsheet, including both the displayed mpg and the calculated mpg at fill-ups. Now, with the 2010, I also reset the mpg for each trip. During cold weather, for short trips, I sometimes barely reach 30mpg. But on the highway I can get up to 60mpg. I am averaging around 43-44mpg (about 1 mpg higher than my 2006) over the 6 months I've owned it. While it's not 50, it's still much higher than my Infiniti!

8. bobboben

bobboben New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    first tank, 48.0. Spring is coming though and im looking forward to it.

9. Eddy

Eddy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With about 2400 miles, my lifetime mpg is 50.4 mpg. My mpg has improved with each tank of gas as I learn how to drive it. My most recent tank of gas, I calculated 53.5 mpg. I bought my beloved Prius during Thanksgiving week so I have been driving it mostly in cold weather. Our highs have been in the 50's and lows are in the 30's.

I noticed on "warm" days I get better mpg. I was able to get 62 mpg on a 20 mile trip that consisted of fairly flat country roads that had speed limits of 50. It was sunny and the temp was about 65. I have found that staying off the freeway helps mpg assuming that you don't have too many stop signs or lights.

I am looking forward to seeing how the warmer weather effects the mpg this spring/summer. I am quite happy with the fuel efficiency considering the car hasn't truely broken in and it has been relatively cold this year. This is a fun car to drive. :)

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bob,
    Here is the cold weather FE data points I was talking about. I couldn't attach to a private message.
    It would be great to create a graph that displayed not only the temp vs FE but also the other attributes like surface conditions, average speed, etc. Also there are two sets of points, inbound and outbound. Should be able to superimpose those eh?
    Thanks,
    Peter

Attached Files:

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok...filled up today...550 miles 50 mpg.

*sigh*

i guess it will have to do

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

This is the Alaska data from Spiderman ... as much as I can do with it. The methodology:

• dry conditions - we don't have a good way to quantify environmental states. It is possible to make parallel columns of data based upon the environmental states but this gets pretty involved.
    • MPG independent variable - in a desire to show the effects of temperature and speed, MPG is used as the independent variable (aka., X axis.)
    • plotting methodology - order the data columns so the x-axis column is on the left and one or two y-axis columns are next; select the columns and rows including the label row; select "insert chart" and use a 'scatter chart'; make it a separate page in the workbook.
    • split y-axis and tweak axis - select one data series and 'format' to use secondary y-axis; adjust axis scales so the two sets of data occupy top and bottom halves; adjust x-axis scale to 'fill out' the chart.
    So what have we learned:

1. slower speeds - better mileage
    2. warmer temperatures - better mileage, slow down when cold
    3. nice mileage for such cold weather
    Later,
    Bob Wilson

ps. Please download spreadsheet as I'll delete it in a couple of days.

Attached Files:

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got the sheet Bob, thanks for taking the time to plot the data. I will continue data collection for a while to see how the higher temps play out.

14. LoveMyPriusIII

LoveMyPriusIII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My wife and I live in Ft. Lauderdale Florida and we have averaged 54.3mpg actual in our first 8500 miles of driving. Our best tank was 58.4 actual and the worst tank was 48.6 actual. Lifetime computer mpg is 57.6 and that 58.4 actual tank showed 61.8 on the computer. The computer always overshoots it by about 3-4mpg.

We get much better mileage in the city. We took a road trip to North Carolina last month and averaged just below 50mpg for that trip of 99% highway miles. We consistently get between 54 and 58mpg with city driving. After our road trip we had two tanks in a row at 57mpg actual but a week of cold in the 40's brought our last tank down to 54mpg. Truth be told however, it must be easier to get better MPG's down here with the higher temperatures and the virtual absence of hilly terrain.

1 person likes this.
  15. LoveMyPriusIII

LoveMyPriusIII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What did you do to get that kind of mileage? What kind of driving allowed a 66.5 MFD reading through 572 miles? That's crazy high.

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have 69.2 MPG on display with 650 miles...last summer. lucky to get 50 mpg during winter

17. TDI+PRIUS

TDI+PRIUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So far fellas I have am averaging 44.5 MPG at 150 miles on the car....I hope this improved because my 02 Golf TDI is a 50MPG averager.

18. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just completed 320 mile round trip on interstate (2/3) and back roads, and a little gravel road (7 miles). Ambient temps 27-45F. Winds calm. Average speed not computed because I was force charging the 12V all day when stopped by leaving in Ready, but would have been 55 or so mph. 56.5 computed mpg/59.6 MID display, including periodic idling to keep the 12V charging. One heavy driver, with 2 other passengers for about 50 miles of it. Actually pulled 63.0 MID mpg for the miles they rode with me. Techniques: Freeway speed around 55-60 band using DWL. Backroads high-speed P&G in a 35-65 band give or take, reverting to DWL in narrow band when a car approached from the rear, scaling my speed so they could pass as they caught me. Used ridge-riding and once signaled with flashers so they knew I was not normal. Not a drop of rage, nor should there have been. No heavy traffic anywhere. There were serious rolling hills (steep for this area) that actually helped my mpg due to the light traffic allowing wide delta P&G. Dramatic results where practical. Note, in the wide delta vacant back roads, I pulsed down the hills and glided up them, adjusting amp draw to fine tune deceleration rate on the climbs. Pulled HV down to 2 bars versus the usual 5 or 6.

Very gratifying in still cool weather to tickle mid-60s mpg even for a while. For me, the break-in period seems to be more the driver than the car. Crossed the 2000 mile mark today. Used the heater at 74F, fan at 2 bars while on the freeway to pull a little heat from the ICE (100% lower grill block). Otherwise, climate control was off. ICE temp range was 191-195F on the freeway (same as without blocking), lower on back roads.

118% x highway EPA computed mpg!

1 person likes this.
  19. TonyWilkey

TonyWilkey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Third tank 40.2MPG Temps 25-50. About 30% highway speeds 55-70mph. 70% shorter city trips ranging from 2-10 miles.

The indicated mileage was 40.4??? Very close this time versus way off on the last tank.

Tony

20. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    TonyWilkey, I read your posts to date. Welcome to Priuschat, btw. If you would like to share some details of your situation, people here may have simple suggestions that make a dramatic improvement.

Some of the old standards: conserve momentum, check psi, check for engine oil overfill, block the lower grill opening in winter. Your results will improve with the weather, but you should be able to improve your results year round. I filled up after 3 weeks driving with my 1.6 mile commute and got 40 mpg actual, so your longer drives should beat that handily. One of your posts mentioned snow, which will decimate mpg's. Not much one can do about that.

Are you in my area of Kansas (Wichita)?