1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 MPG Stats - Post Them Here

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by BH1973, May 27, 2009.

1. owl1966

owl1966 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    about 50.6 for 2045 miles

2. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Since 11/11/2009 (had car since August 2009), averaging 47.24 mpg calculated. Have 22k on the odometer. Pretty good considering I have the V model, that I started calculations only a month before the weather got really cold (and killed mpgs, saw 43-44 vs 48+ish), and my brother borrowing my car for 600 miles and driving it like a sports car (PWR mode, trying to keep up with friends with faster cars). Should see average go up to 48-49 as the summer progresses.

Typical driving pattern during the week is 80% highway / 20% city

3. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    My first two tanks came in right at 54 displayed and 52 calculated. My third tank I found gas that was advertised to be completely free of ethanol, and now I'm getting nearly 59 displayed half way through the tank.

I suspect some of this is warmer weather, but I only got the car in mid-April, so maybe the ethanol does take away from mileage.

4. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ethanol does take a hit on MPG's. Probablly 2-4 MPG.

alfon

1 person likes this.
  5. fanics

fanics Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Got my 2010 Prius III in Oct 2009 and love it so far. I've put 8060 miles on it after 142 gallons, for 56.8 MPG calculated and 60.1 MPG displayed. Driven mostly in northern and and central Virginia, with a 1000 mile roadtrip to western and central North Carolina. Worst tanks were around 55 MPG displayed, 52 MPG calculated, during Snowmagedon in DC this past February, with temps in the high 20s and 30s. Best two tanks were 572 miles on 9.056 gallons (63.2 MPG cal'c, 65.7 displayed) in late April to early May, and 602 miles on 9.963 gallons (60.5 MPG cal'c, 63.3 displayed) in late March to early April. Tires have been at 44/42 PSI for a few months now. Average MPH has been around 35 per tank and climbed from low to mid 30s over the past 8 months. 13/15 tanks have been Shell gas. I think where you live and what types of terrain you drive on (i.e., flat vs. hilly) makes just as big difference on fuel consumption as how you drive. I've tried pulse and glide a little without much noticeable improvement, so instead just try to keep a easy and steady foot.

6. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Just finished my third tank of gas - my "for record" run. I tried everything I could to maximize efficiency, even driving a bit slower than usual when I could. I got 60.0 indicated and 58.1 measured, 506 miles on the tank, and 2 bars left when I filled it up with about 8.7 gallons. I guess that tank could have gone close to 600 miles comfortably.

This current tank, I will drive "normally," for me, which means accelerating in power more, going up the mountain at 45 instead of 35-40, and not worrying as much about glide/coast as I have been. I want to see how much the more extreme techniques really pay off. If I can get 53-54 driving normally, with just being sensitive to P and G opportunities, I most likely won't worry about that last 5 mpg, and just drive it.

But I really wanted to see if I could average 60, living where I do - in the mountains, and happy to see this car can do it. Amazing machine!

7. drsbm3

drsbm3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been analyzing some stats on Fuelly.com for all Prius models in distribution (N=348) and average MPG is 45.7mpg. Then I separated out GenIII models only (N=128) and the average MPG of all GenIII drivers was 46.9. So then for comparison I did the Honda Insight hybrid (N=99) and the average for Insight drivers was 45.7. So, a small statistical difference between GenIII drivers and GenI-II drivers. All averaging about 45-47mpg. This is all based upon calculated mileage from fill-ups at the tank (no MID numbers). If you assume with a fairly large sample, that all factors are more or less randomly distributed and sample is representative of complete population, you end up concluding that GenIII actual driver mileage vs. other Gen models vs. Insight driver mileage are not statistically different, all are at 45-47mpg for a population average, extrapolating from this sample in Fuelly.com. Many have concluded that GenIII mileage is significantly higher than previous gen model hybrids and better than Honda hybrid. This data does not appear to support that conclusion.

1 person likes this.
  8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i agree, not a whole lot of difference in mileage. but the 2010 is still faster, bigger and does provide the settings that can help one get better mileage. but frankly, most people coming from 25 mpg cars dont really care. that is why you dont see a large difference.

so u can compare the 3 cars equally based on mileage and while we are at it, lets toss in the Smart car... it get similar figures

9. drsbm3

drsbm3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good idea. I took a top down sample of 100 Smart Two drivers posts for mileage. Average MPG for Smart car is 37.3. This is statistically significantly less than the Prius and Insight mileages as posted in Fuelly.com at the 99% confidence level. Looking at the distribution, I noticed the mpg range for Smart drivers was 22-53mpgs. Range for Prius is 34-81. Range for Insight is 30-72. I see from Priuschat forums, a large subculture of drivers who I call mpgchasers and they drive to maximize their mpgs and FE. I don't know that a similar subculture exists with Smart car drivers. And I think they are driving a car that is less safe, less economical to run, less practical and less Smart. So, maybe the car is misnamed. It looks like it could be a golf cart but there is no place to put your clubs.

10. gohybrid

gohybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    just finished off this tank today:

[​IMG]

pretty happy with it! 61.3 displayed, 60.9 calculated

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thank you!
    Sometimes a graph does a better job of showing what is going on in the high mileage, hybrids. I prefer to use the EPA user reported data to plot these curves:
    [​IMG]
    I highlighted three sets of data:

• inside the smaller green area - these folks are getting normal mileage within the expected range of values. Things like climate, route distance, speed, and topology would easily explain these values.
    • between green area and blue area - these folks are getting outside the expected values. The ones on the lower left in particular may be able to make modest changes and move into the normal region.
    • outside the blue area - outliers, both above and below, are really in a different reality. The ones on the lower left are in particular needing 'a clue.'
    The data shows that from 2001-2010, Prius performance pretty well centers between 45-50 MPG. There is some variation but compared to all samples, it looks like Prius MPG performance plateaued. However, the utility, the service by the Prius has significantly improved:
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    0 Model passenger ft{3} cargo ft{3} longest cabin ft.
    1 NHW11 89 12 ~8
    2 INSIGHT 85 16 ~10
    3 NHW20 96 16 ~10
    4 ZVW30 94 22 ~12
    Thanks to Chris Hogan who pointed out how passenger volume relates to vehicle utility or user value.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

12. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I picked up my new 2010 Prius last Saturday and have about 250 miles under my belt so far. Sitting at 66.2 mpg on the HSI now and still dialing in my SGII and driving skills (I had a 2009 before and the 2010 is a bit different for hypermiling).

I snapped this pic the other day of my HSI after 190 miles and at 67.5 mpg...hope to finish this tank with similar results!

Quick question...does the 2010 HSI measure average MPH from the time the car is started until the time the car is shut off...regardless if the wheels are in motion? My HSI reports 19 mph average for this tank...my SGII reports 44 mph average for this tank.

Attached Files:

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its based on "on" time, not "moving" time

14. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for confirming...makes sense...it would take a loooooong time to drive 250 miles at 19 mph!

15. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Filled mine up when I got it 3 weeks ago, just done first refill, 35.93 litres in 452.3 miles = 57.2 UK mpg.:rockon:

16. TonyWilkey

TonyWilkey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    10th tank 42.7MPG (calculated) 46.7MPG indicated. Temps ranged from 50-85F. A few rainy days. AC definitely hurts my MPG on my 8mile commute. My indicated versus calculated MPG is all over the place (1-10% high error) I don't see the consistent error others have reported.

My next tank will have a few 90-100 mile highway trips included. It will be interesting to compare to the shorter trip average.

17. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tony...

I'd be interested to hear what your fill procedure is at the gas station. It could be one variable in the inconsistent deviation you are seeing between calc'd and HSI mpg.

I took a look at your Fuelly fuel log and your deviation is over 9% after running your numbers...and your weighted deviation is closer to 10%. Either your car has an issue with calculation (unlikely) or your fill procedure is flawed for accurate record keeping (or worse...if you use the same gas station every time their pumps are over reporting and you are being robbed). As you noted, 9-10% deviation over 10 tanks is not consistent with what others are seeing and based on the fact that you keep track of your stats...something doesn't jive here.

No ill judgment being placed on you...just interested to understand why your deviation is so far off.

Matt

1 person likes this.
  18. TonyWilkey

TonyWilkey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use three different Gas stations. I guess I should try to correlate the error with the station I used.

I find it difficult to tell if I always fill up to the same level, do to the semi-flexible inlet tube. My "procedure" is to the lock fuel nozzle in the slowest position. When the flow stops I manually add another gallon. Variations in filling should average out over time.

Thanks for the help.

Tony

19. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just some advice...id squash the "add another gallon" routine and switch to "first click." A gallon of fuel leaves you all of that time while you're adding the extra fuel for air bubbles, angle and depth of the nozzle in your car, etc to mess with your numbers.

I noticed you have a lot of high gallon fills in your gas log and now I know why...you add the extra gallon. If you can stand filling up a day or so earlier due to a gallon of fuel less being in your tank I'm guessing your data will be more consistent.

Hope this helps!

20. drsbm3

drsbm3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bob W., thank you for the graph and for pointing me to EPA mileage stats for Gen III drivers. I combined that sample with Fuelly.com stats for a combined sample of 210 Gen III drivers.The overall combined average is 47.5, standard deviation of 5.3. Assuming a normal distribution, which I eye-balled and it looks fairly normal, here are percentile scores for GenIII drivers to compare themselves to others. For example, if you are at 47.5mpg, you are at the average score, that is the 50th %tile. You are getting better gas mileage than 50 percent of other Gen III drivers.
    Here is a percentile table for reference:

35mpg= 1st %tile _ 44.7= 30th _ 48.2= 55th _ 52= 80th _ 64= 100th%tile
    39mpg= 5th %tile _ 45.5= 35th _ 48.8= 60th _ 53= 85th
    42mpg=15th %tile _ _46= 40th _ 49.5= 65th _ 54= 90th
    43mpg=20th %tile _46.8= 45th _ _ 50= 70th _ 56= 95th
    44mpg=25th %tile _47.5= 50th _ _ 51= 75th _ 60= 99th

1 person likes this.