1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 MPG Stats - Post Them Here

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by BH1973, May 27, 2009.

1. zencat

zencat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    On my way to the gas station yesterday I hit a new best -- 63 mpg!

Except when I switch to pwr mode, I'm consistently topping 50 mpg. Think I'm going to do much better on this second tank. :)

2. Lafferty

Lafferty Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After 600 miles, I'm averaging 57.4 MPG.

I am very impressed with this total considering my commute is only 6 miles each way, and I have to climb some pretty steep hills.

So far on my second tank (70 miles) I am averaging 62.3 MPG.

3. basspro

basspro New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Guys, it's it me or what if I do the simple math, if people are getting as good as 55MPG, then 55 X 11 gallons = 600 miles per tank with about .9 gallon to spare. What is the expected range on a tank before you will run out of gas?

Danny mention that he only did 501 miles and he was happy, shouldn't we expect to have at least every tank hit over 500 miles before filling up with at least 1 or more gallon to spare?

Just questions from a new Prius owner.

4. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the bladder induced fear of running out and the resultant habit (at least for me) of filling up as soon as 3 pips turns to two (or sooner) will be overcome over time as people report their experience.

i should get my 2010 IV solar this week (its in "F" status). I have 4.5 years of the same commute in my gen 1. Last summer i averaged 50.0 MFD. I will report here after a few tanks on the same commute. I am confident any improvement will be objective and real when i have several tanks experience.

btw - when i got the 02 in 05, my first tanks were very low 40s until i learned

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Exactly, I have that exact bladder-induced fear. I'm not sure how far I could have pushed it, but on this tank I'll get a better feel for the actual cruising range. After I filled up it said something like 640 miles DTE, and now averaging around 56.5 it's saying 400 DTE with 140 miles on the trip ODO.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well on my tank before the current one. i had gone to blinking bar at around 470 miles (give or take) went to zero DTE at around 550 miles... filled up at 614 miles. so there appears to be a minimum of 1½ gallons (actually bob and ken figured nearly 2 gallons but i fudging on the safe side. ken i think said just over 7 liters so kinda spliting the difference a bit on the low side)

so basically i went over 100 miles after the blinker. bob actually ran it dry, did around 120 miles or... so looks like the gauge is still not going to be accurate if you really want a good gauge to empty. Toyota has made sure that when the car says "empty" there will still be enough gas to get to a station.

all in all, the only real way to know how far you can drive is simply get to know your car.

7. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Added side benefit. It's a safer way to drive, especially with children inside.

8. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Also...as long as it's safe and legal ...try not to come to a dead stop - ever. Having to overcome the inertia of a 3000 lb block of steel, glass and rubber at rest requires a lot of energy, Newton's 1st Law.
    • Try to time stop lights such that you don't actually have to stop.
    • If a traffic stoppage up ahead may breakup then let off the go-pedal earlier so that you glide up to the stoppage and hopefully don't actually have to stop.
    • California right hand turns where legal and safe.
    • Anticipate traffic patterns ( makes for much safer driving as well ).

9. raidbuck

raidbuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "try not to come to a dead stop - ever". It's not legal to do that at stop signs, and impossible with traffic lights. I thought that when you accelerate from a dead stop you use EV as long as you have a very light foot. So much to learn and still my dealership can't deliver. Thanks to all for so much information.

Rich N.

10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've got almost 900 miles on mine now. Abput 625 highway and the rest city.

Total MPG to date is not as impressive as many but it is better than my 2006 was at 46.7 mpg.

On the road trip this weekend which was over 600 miles I got an impressive 50.2! I think as things break in I will see an increase in my overall mpg though.

11. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Oh, and I have also noticed the fuel gauge flashes when there is just shy of almost 2 gallons left. Mine flashed and said about 25 miles to empty. I got gass with 20 miles left to empty and even squeezing in gas it only took 9.9 gallons. I would feel pretty safe if need be to run it about 50 miles past once the flashing begins. Im not saying I'll always do it but if need be there is a lot of wiggle room in there...

12. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have just about the opposite composition of city/highway miles as you, and I'm certain this is what accounts for the better mileage for me. I also have three times the miles on the car, and I think that matters, as well.

I've been running A/C on the highway and as little as possible in my short hops in town (windows down!). I don't see quite the penalty for A/C in the Gen3, but I'm guessing there is still something there.

What pressure are you going for in your tires? Like I do, you have the V w/ 17" wheels. I have the Toyos and recently bumped the pressure up from 43/42 to 46/45. I haven't noticed any ride or handling changes. It is difficult to tell if mileage is really impacted, though I've been holding pretty steady at around 60 for my in-town driving.

13. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed that it's not legal to roll through stop signs, but...
    If there is a red light up ahead try not to come to a dead stop if at all possible. Try to time it - safely - so that the vehicle keeps moving all the time.

When you do have to stop it is not best to use EV to build up speed. This was the initial thought back in 2001/02 but quickly people have found that the best way to improve fuel economy is simply to accelerate smartly away from a dead stop, then get up to speed as quickly as possible and glide/feather the vehicle from that point onward.

14. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

In all honestly, the main reason I probably do not get even better MPG is because after a light turns green or after stopping (rolling) at a stop sign I give it quite a bit more gas then is necessary for good fuel mileage. But around here, if you don't get up and go with everyone else you get honked at, cursed at and thrown hand gestures I don't think a cryptologist could decipher.

When I am alone on the road late night/early morning then i don't mind but during rush hour going to and from work I just cannot drive effeciently...

As for tire pressures, I am running 38/37. That's actually what the dealer had when I picked the car up. I am afraid to go more, not because I don't think the tire can handle it but because of the roads we have around here. On Staten Island, Brooklyn or really the whole city there are potholes that can and will swallow the whole tire! lol Really, the roads in general are just so poor around here I don't think I could stand running anything much higher than what is in there now.

All in all though, considering I did opt for the Prius V I am still quite impressed with MPG results :)

15. Earman

Earman CDN Prius III Technology Blue

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had the car for only 4 days. Not trying to get the best possible mileage, just driving normally (but not agressively), with Air Conditioning.

City driving exclusively, so far:

In NORMAL Mode: 4.8L/100 Km (49.00 MPG)
    In ECO Mode: 4.4L/100 Km (53.46 MPG)
    In NORMAL mode and occasional POWER mode: 5.0 L/100 Km (47.04 MPG)

2010 Prius, Blue Ribbon Metallic, Canadian model, Basic

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well done! These 2010s really are getting better mileage even in normal mode.

17. zencat

zencat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here we go. I hit this yesterday going from my house to the fwy. After I took this pic (at a light) it hit 83.5. A beautiful sight. :)

Attached Files:

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now keeping that number up over the next 300+ miles is the tricky part. ;)

19. zencat

zencat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Haha. True. ;)

For the record, I averaged 55mpg for the entire trip (~60 miles mostly hwy). But this was a nice moment. Unfortunately, I didn't lock it in as my new "best." I guess you have to stop and turn off the car to do that? Or would resetting the trip do it?

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Resetting.

1 person likes this.