1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 navigation?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sferris, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ooh very nice? I'm not sure that ours does it except maybe the latest one (2006+). I also saw that they had a "freeway guidance" feature which basically means it can show you which lanes continue on and which lanes will lead you to the exit.

ahh, very nice!

Hmm, I don't drive on the highway enough lol. But then I see to recall nearly max zoom-out when I turned it on on the airplane.

I have the ONE New Edition so I don't think I can use the new markers.

2. scooper428

scooper428 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

I am not a Prius owner. I am a Toyota Sales professional. I joined these forums to do some research as to what my customers feelings on the new Prius are going to be. For the gentleman that said check out the nav system in the new Venza. Absolutely correct. the Nav system in that vehicle is amazing and will also provide real time traffic updates to route you around back ups. All in all, we here at the dealership are incredibly excited about this new Prius.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But it requires a subscription to XMNavTraffic, right? Is that separate from XM Satellite Radio or do you need satrad to get traffic?

4. scooper428

scooper428 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

It does not require a subscription to XMNav Traffic, it simply uses the xm radio to pull in traffic data to route you correctly. Also currently on the Venza, they are giving 3 months of XM free. I don't know if this will be something they will offer on the 2010 Prius or not. i can't imagine XM wanting to lose business by not offering it. Like any good marketing thing, it's an easy sell once people are hooked on it.

5. PriusDreamer

PriusDreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So please tell me, does the new NAV say street names (text to speech) like a $150 garmin can. Living in NY with the number of streets, this capability is almost mandatory. If not, why not? I mean even if it was standalone option it would probably be $1,500.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So you'll need a subscription to XM Satellite Radio then and the traffic is automatic via some RDS antenna I suppose.

that'll be cool. Too bad my current city has no traffic services, my hometown does.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's hope that XM/Sirrus stays in business long enough for us to enjoy the first year.

8. scooper428

scooper428 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    No, like I said, there is no subscription required to get the XMnav traffic. There is only a subscription for the XM radio. If you opt out of having XM radio, you still receive the traffic nav from what I understand.

And yeah I hope we do get to have XM stick around. I would also enjoy seeing overpaid media types scale back their incomes to match the economy so that we can continue to enjoy them. Doubt it will happen but we can all dream.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok now it's cleared. In that case, that's pretty good! So it's fully automatic as I move in and out of the traffic region(s)?

10. scooper428

scooper428 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Yup

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  12. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone with a Venza want to stick the NAV disc into a 2006-2009 Prius and see what it does/changes?

I'm guessing the traffic and some of the newer features like reading street names won't work, assuming the disc works with the older unit at all.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It could but doing so would render your current disc useless. i.e. once you use the new disc, the older one is a placemat. (If I remember correctly)

14. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The generations are different. Venza and 2010 Prius are GEN6 units, the 2006-2009 are GEN5 units. Chances are the disc wouldn't even work.

15. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I haven't seen very many posts mentioning or complaining about the fact that the navigation is still DVD based. Seems to me a harddrive based unit would be far faster and more easily upgraded with new features or maps. Are my assumptions incorrect? Other than a slight savings in cost, what could be the justification for sticking with DVD?

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think DVD nav gives the ability to retrofit maps without the need to transfer files.

17. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    HDD NAV is probably more expensive to implement. I've often wondered how they handled shock and vibration isolation in HDD based systems. Let's skip HDD NAV and go straight to SSD :D

18. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The European Prius navigation system has traffic information (RDS-TMC), from the 2006 onwards. And, as of the latest nav disc, there are no navigation operation restrictions while moving. (Although the restrictions on other functions like the telephone remain).

19. birnando

birnando Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    KMO:
    I'm not shure you are entirely correct here.
    My 2009 Prius has no restrictions whatsoever while driving. Nav, phone and every other function works the same whether moving or not.
    Since Norway is not part of EU(but definately part of Europe) it's possible that there is a difference here?
    Not sure about that, but like I said, no crippling of functions while driving on my car.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    birnando, possibly. Here in North America, everything's locked out.