1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 navigation?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sferris, Feb 5, 2009.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm surprised they even let us start the car. You know, once it is started people can get hurt...

Tom

2. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Time out, I need to check on this. My understanding Scooper428 is that there IS a different subscription fee for the Xm with traffic, but I was not 100% finished investigating this last week so I didn't post yet. Here's some basic info from XM, but again, please let us look into this further before confirming one way or another: XM Satellite Radio - America's #1 Satellite Radio Service

We also owe you all a few other answers to some of the main 2010 questions floating around online and from the Prius Connection events. Should be posting those this week.

Thanks for your patience,
    Erica

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great, thanks a lot Erica!

4. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I personally would never purchase a NAV system on any car...you are paying 10x the amount you have to. I have a Garmin 660 and it has integrated bluetooth, mp3, audible (books) and lots of other goodies, plus I can take it with me when I fly and use it in any other car. My friend has the built-in Prius NAV system (circa 2006) and that system is so poorly designed IMHO, with an interface that is very hard to learn. My friend paid $3K for a NAV system she never uses and even with instruction still doesn't have a clue how to use (though she's not the brightest bulb when it comes to technology). But I am a techno-geek and I think the Prius NAV system is terrible in terms of user interface/design. No thanks. For $300 you can get a really nice Garmin and for approx $75/yr you can have the latest updates.

5. scooper428

scooper428 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I appologize for the incorrect information regarding the nav traffic. There is a $9.94/mo subscription fee for it. I am not sure if that is going to be free for a time so people can try it and use it.

6. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  7. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    New vehicles which include XM usually have a free 3 month trial so just guessing but it'll probably come with a 3 month free subscription to get you to like it... Also, you can get the XM radio service with the nav subscription for something like $17-18, so you save a bit getting both bundles together.

What I havent seen on XM's site is something Sirius does... If you pay in full for a year os Sirius you get something like a month free and if you prepay 2 years you get 3 months free. And Sirius also offers lifetime subs. Havent seen any mention of subscription discounts on xm's site.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 06 Prius has the factory nav and I also have a Garmin Nuvi 350 for my other car. (My dad has a Nuvi 650). Each has their pros and cons however, yes, I'm with you on the price though. PNDs have come WAY down in price and size whereas factory systems are still expensive.

See http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-m...dvd-nav-vs-other-nav-system-2.html#post675023 for my comparison. Yes, the UI on the factory nav isn't the best, but I generally prefer it. When I'm driving my Prius, there's no time in which I prefer taking and using the Nuvi 350 instead.

9. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Is our navigation in the 2010 Prius going to also do xm nav-weather like the new RX? Just noticed this today and don't think this is something they gave our nav:

The All-New 2010 Lexus RX

I mean its far from a necessary thing but still cool to have since it'll have the xm nav-traffic already...

10. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's an understatement, IMHO, and a generous one toward the Prius Nav. I help design interfaces in the software world and I could not figure out my friend's Prius Nav to save my life (not without a manual in front of me). Completely different experience with the Garmin. Bottomline: one I could use immediately and the other I never got it working (and was happy it wasn't in my car and I didn't pay $3K for that P.O.S.).

IMHO, of course.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My feelings exactly. I have both, but only use the factory system in the Prius.

Tom

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I'm aware of.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I work on software for a living, but not doing UI design.

Next time you're in the friend's car, press the Dest button. That would be the equivalent of "Where To". Yeah, they didn't made the best choice of words for some buttons in the UI. Sometimes you end up having to substitute other words in your head for what they're labeled.

As I stated in my pros and cons, there are actually a # of nice things on/attributes of the Prius nav system that don't exist on Garmin Nuvis at all.

14. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Did anyone else notice the RX system is harddrive based? I care more about the Nav being faster and more easily upgraded. Be nice to get rid of the lockout too. The UI is not great, but you can work out the basics easily enough. The frustrating part is the content not being up to date or complete. I'm finding my iphone more useful in some situations than either Garmin or Denso/Toyota.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup and so is the LS and Infiniti G35 and Mitsubishi Outlander.