1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 P0302 Cyl 2 Misfire & White Smoke

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CharlesPrius, Jun 18, 2018.

1. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you

2. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    UPDATE #5
    I haven't had to drive much lately but am still looking for the root of my problem. Today I pulled spark plug #2 and inspected it, compared against #3. See the photos. Neither smelled of gasoline, just wonderful oil seasonings. #2 looks "dirtier" to me, but any visual feedback from y'all is appreciated. Still experiencing the same Misfire (hesitant startup) & code 0302. I've noticed that misfiring doesn't happen if I let the car sit for a day or two. But after I start & drive it for any length of time, stop at the store, say, and 20 minutes later go again, that's when it misfires and sounds all clunky until it warms up.

Plugs were changed 19k ago. I may just change them while I have the wiper assy. off.... And when my tank gets down to 1/2 I'll put in the Techron. If these don't help I'm gonna bite the bullet and head to the shop. I just don't think I'd have the know-how to take the diagnostics any further.

IMG_7094.JPG IMG_7113.JPG

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How’s the coolant level?

m.wynn likes this.
  4. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has the entire EGR circuit been cleaned (from EGR cooler to intake manifold)? Have the EGR ports in the intake manifold been completely voided of sludge using a pipe brush and degreaser? If not this can lead to uneven EGR flow across cylinders when one cylinder gets the lions share of cooling EGR gasses - causing your misfire. It's been reported before on PC a few times. The excessive and uneven heating of the cylinders contributes to head gasket problems.

Pixel XL ?

#24 mjoo, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    danlatu, m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Something is definitely going on in cylinder #2. That plug doesn't look good at all.

Did you check the condition of the boot and plug wire going to #2 ?
    If it is "coil on plug", you should be able to switch it with another cylinder fairly easily to see if the misfire moves.

6. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I don't know how to clean EGR circuit as some things are just beyond me, and I'm running low on patience to do it. But thanks for the great tip and I'll mention it when I bring it to the shop.

7. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, last week I switched coils 2 and 3 and cleared the code, and P0302 came back again a couple days later. In other words, misfire stayed on Cyl 2. Stupid me didn't think yesterday to switch spark plug 2 and 3 when I had them out. I will do it tonight or tomorrow.

Today was the worst misfire day. Although it didn't misfire the first time I started it up cold, and the Check-Engine-Light actually went OFF after a 30 mile drive (much of it uphill), almost every other time I started it up, the rattles and shakes were pretty bad. Even hesitated a couple of times while on the highway, as the ICE kicked in and the check-engine light blinked for 10 seconds (bad!).

I'm fearing the worst at the moment. Mainly because last week I had filled coolant up to the "seam" in the overflow, and today before starting up I saw that it has dipped below the "Low" line. It was a little higher after a 30 mile drive, but not much. (Level stayed the same after the return 30-mile drive also). So while I was hoping this was just a fuel injector issue, I'm afraid it is a blown head gasket, or worse. Which doesn't make sense because I swear I smelled raw fuel in the exhaust last week. Could a bad spark plug or injector cause coolant level to dip? I have not gotten any overheating warnings. Or maybe coolant loss is not related to 0302... who knows?

8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If there are no puddles of coolant underneath your Prius, the coolant is going somewhere :(.

So I’d be looking into the next steps with a head gasket issue;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

m.wynn likes this.
  9. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agreed, unfotunately(n)...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's just strange that the exhaust still smells like raw gasoline (I just cranked her up and yep, hesitation and yep, raw gas) and not Antifreeze/Coolant.

Putting a new spark plug in #2 tomorrow to see what happens.

11. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    TODAY:
    Filled coolant to the middle of the F in "FULL"
    Replaced Spark Plug #2, cleared code P0302.
    We'll see what happens. If code comes back and coolant goes down, I'm taking it in for a proper diagnosis.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    UPDATE:

After replacing Spark Plug #2 with new, I had 1 wonderful day of driving without any misfires or choking or anything, & ICE kicked on as smooth as I can ever remember. But yesterday wasn't so good. Shaky noisy misfiring cold start was back, as well as a few misfires during the drive. Today was better, though not perfect. It seems random. No codes thrown yet since I change plug #2, but it's only a matter of time b/c I can hear the misfire.

Still not overheating, and my MPG has remained over 50 since all this trouble started.

Best I can tell I'm losing about 1-2 cm of coolant per day - referring to the reservoir level (probably translates to 1/8 to 1/4 qt?). This varies a bit based on how much I drive, how far, probably how long it sits between drives, etc.

At my last oil change I was told I was burning oil, but I have checked the level every so often since then and it's fine. And the oil looks healthy. So does Rad fluid in the reservoir. I can see oil on engine components down below, but it could've been there forever, who knows. Also I've had this before on a Lexus and it was the symptom of a leaking Valve Cover Gasket. Could that be the issue this time too? I don't know.

Taking it in this week for a proper diagnosis.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Went by my long-time mechanic today. Described all the symptoms and my troubleshooting process. Without even looking at my car, without hesitation both owners said it's a blown Head Gasket -- and that they see this a lot on 3rd gen Prius. Actually, one of the shop owners' Prius (he has several) was up on the riser having the exact same thing done while I was there. They said the blown HG happens on this car because the Water Pump fails first, something about the WP not having a gauge on it. Here's the damage:

$1250: Head Gasket replacement, all seals etc including new Valve Cover gasket, Machining heads if warped (3rd party)
    $450: Water Pump replace (AISIN brand)
    ($250: Valve job, if needed - 3rd party)

I did ask if Bar's Head Gasket Fix or any other sealer would help -- he said no, because the Prius engine doesn't run full time, and that it would clog up my radiator. This is similar to what a lot of reviews say. If anyone has feedback or experience with any HG Sealer, shoot!

Of course they recommend I spend the money... they're a business. But I trust their judgment -- mainly because they service a ton of Priuses, I think a whole fleet of Taxis -- I see Prius taxis in there every time I go. And the shop owner owns several Priuses himself. I could sell this car (171k) with a bad engine for maybe $3k-4k, but I can't buy much with that $. So I think I'm going to just bite the missile on this one.

That said, I want to hear what y'all would do here. Worth the $1700-2000 to fix?

#33 CharlesPrius, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seems like a reasonable price to me. hadn't heard the water pump angle before though.

Raytheeagle and CharlesPrius like this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I replaced our water pump 10 k miles ago based on a tip from @Joele3 on this exact topic;).

The water pump is magnetic driven (by the hv electrical system) and should last “the life of the car”:rolleyes:.

At 173 k miles, I thought I pressed my luck enough and wanted to avoid the whammy:).

An Aisin pump I got off of amazon for 1/2 of the above quoted price. I’d shop around a bit and while everything is apart, clean the egr circuit from cooler through intake manifold;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

JC91006 and m.wynn like this.
  16. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I don't have control over the process once they open it up. Water pump price includes labor, that's probably why it's 2x what you paid. I'm not doing any of this myself, for many reasons. I'll ask if they can clean the egr etc while it's apart.

In any case, I'm leaving town this week for a few weeks, it'll have to wait until I get back.

Not a fun cost to incur, but that's what I get for buying a higher-mileage car.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would bite the bullet and have it fixed, at least you know that the motor is good once it’s been put back together.
    If it was me I would do it and run it for a few years so as to get my money out of it

2010 Gen 3

18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Price isn't too bad, considering all that is involved.
    Too ad you aren't able to fix it yourself.

19. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks y'all. Advice taken. I'm gonna have it done in a couple weeks (going on vacation). Gonna use a 10-month 0% cash advance offer from my credit card company for this. I technically have the cash now, but I don't wanna drain the bank tank at the moment. I will post an update after the repair is done, etc etc.

Jayw13702 and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not recall your mentioning that the engine had overheated. Has that in fact happened?

If the engine has not ever overheated, then the engine coolant pump should still be functional. I understand the concept of replacing the pump as a preventive measure, but if the coolant pump is still working, that would not be the cause of the engine head gasket failing.

The engine head gasket failing is probably more related to the EGR clogging up (see Ray's post #4 above.)

I suggest that you need to have the EGR system and the intake manifold passages cleaned as part of the repairs that are being planned.

#40 Patrick Wong, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Shane Burns, m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.