1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Pius II w/ 65k miles need to replace brake actuator

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by drunkin master, May 10, 2012.

1. drunkin master

drunkin master Contributing Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Brake Actuator booster assy $3000 in repair

I have started two new threads on this to see if we can come up with a list and see how many people are having this issue

I am at the dealer at the moment. Prii was taken in because of break barking noise. Yesterday the ABS Light, Traction control light and brake lights were on my dash board all at one time. Barking is gone but now all new issues have come up.
    1. braking feels weak.
    2. hybrid battery is not charging while breaking
    3. hybrid drive is pushing power at complete stop
    4. Hill assist is not working
    5. brake pedal sometime looses it's pressure

I had two codes come up: (will update on the code later)

master cyclinder & brake actuator.

I have had the car go in to the dealer service only for brake issues.

Now they want $2,800 plus labor to replace the actuator.
    I am currently talking with a service manager to see what we can do about this.

I wanted to post this on the forum and see how many people are having similar issues. I know that if we have enough people having the same problem, this can be escalated up to Toyota customer care so that this issue can be documented and maybe repairs and parts can be covered.

I feel like we have to live with the ABS issue when we brake over rough roads but I am not going to just take another issue and pay out of my pocket for more major issues.

I will update later on the out come.

Please post any brake issues on barking because the barking is going to end up a $2,800 plus service repair.

Thanks priuschat members.

2. drunkin master

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here are the codes I am getting:

C1246 & C1380
    Brake switch circuit and master cyl. pressure circuit.

I also called Toyota Customer Care: (800) 331-4331

I complained about this issue. They told me that he will have to review the info and put me on hold for about 2 minutes. Came back and just told me that they can't assist me in any way.

I really feel that a hand full of us on the forum have had similar issues and paid for a faulty assembly.

Please post if you have had this issue so that we can get some resolution and help others in getting this issue resolved. I did some research and it looks like older Prius' are having the same thing happening.

I will keep us updated!

3. errantneuron

errantneuron New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Should be under warranty?

edit: nm, didn't notice your mileage.

4. drunkin master

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My warranty is way over. 36K I'm at 65K miles.

I have pm'ed a few people on the forum that I have searched and found that they have had the same issue.
    I hope we can start a list and see how many of us are having the same issue.

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How many so far?

6. gwalia

gwalia New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would skip the stealership at all cost. You need to find a prius expert shop. It is very unlikely for multiple parts failing at the same time. I would double check the 12V battery. 12V battery can cause all kinds of problems. Try to reset the computer.

I would try is hooking up another car battery to the prius 12v with just jumper cables. Put the battery in the prius trunk. Drive slow and no sharp turns. This will ensure full current to all the parts. Also scan the computer with a live obd2 scanner.

Ebay has lots of used parts. I think its okay to use used parts because prius parts are suppose to be very reliable.

Do not take stealership at its word. I have had many bad experiences at toyota, lexus and honda dealers. Each time they wanted $1000's of dollars for repair and i was able to fix it for few bucks.

For example: Lexus wanted $1000 to change the shocks because of the noise. It was a lose bolt that my mechanic took 15- 20 mins to find. I paid 30 bucks.

Toyota wanted 60 dollars to change ac filter that i had changed two days ago, wanted to charge me 600 dollars for waterpump and 180 for waterpump belt.

Honda wanted to charge me for ignition switch that was under recall.

I hope you are able to get this resolved. Toyota stealerships are the biggest negative about prius.

Unlimited_MPG and 32kcolors like this.
  7. drunkin master

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have created two threads. One under the gen 2 & gen 3 to start a list and see how many people have been having the same issue.
    Someone mentioned about me spamming the forum.
    If I am please let me know (admins) and you can delete this thread.
    I would like everyone to direct themselves to the other thread and list yourselves if you are having the same issue.

Thanks.

Admins: Please let me know if I am spamming. I am only asking because someone has told me I should not spam. I only have three threads one the discussion which is this thread and the other two are to see how many people have been having the same issue.
    I will comply with any further instructions the admins have. Thank you.

8. drunkin master

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have only Pm'd a couple of people.
    I have searched and found a hand full of people have the exact issue and others that are starting to have it i.e. barking sound from the brake peddle.

I hope forum members can step up so that we can get this possibly a recall issue or at least some sort of assistance from Toyota themselves.
    Anything will help customers and will show that they will back there customers all that they can.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Get a 2nd opinion not at a dealership in a place that specializes in Lexus/Toyota, i.e. LEXService/Japanese Auto Clinic.

From the look of it, I doubt it's a prospective recall issue as we're not getting as many responses as, say, the 2010 Prius brake recall, violent shaking at start up, grabby brakes when reversing, etc.

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked the NHTSA site to see if there's any reports similar to yours?

11. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to see you having expensive issues at this low of a mileage, but truth is, stuff happens.

Your best bet at this point is to find an used actuator and have it installed, and hope that it does not happen again.

12. drunkin master

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have ordered the part. I will have it replaced once I receive the parts I need.
    Will be getting some help from a fellow member.

will update

13. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Were you able to get the problem resolved? Is so, what fixed it?